Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Lucid

Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
NicoRey27

The obligaroty daily deal "is it worth it" thread

Just by looking at the screenshots I think "Bejeweled ripoff"

Please prove me wrong.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
cl4ym4n

The gameplay mechanic is rather different. You don't move the blocks around at all. The only thing you have to do is to clear an area with the same blocks by 'connecting' them with each other... Stupid to explain, so just watch a gameplay video.

I bought the game during the Christmas sale because it looked like a neat and relaxing game, but all in all it's rather annoying. There is no graphics settings except for fullscreen on/off, so you have to either play it in 800x600 windowed mode or stretched fullscreen mode which makes the, otherwise nice looking graphics, really ugly.

The gameplay itself is rather simple and the whole game seems to be what other games offer as an optional 'Zen mode'. There is no other game modes, no combo moves, except for those special 'Lucid blocks' no variation in gameplay.

Due the design of the gameplay mechanics it also gets really frustrating at times when you prepare for a large combo (by bringing as much blocks of the same color together as possible) and then there is one block outside of the grid that makes it impossible to actually clear that combo. I logged roughly 3 hours into the game so far and can tell that this happens a lot and gets annoying as hell over time.

Being a daily deal right now it's not exactly expensive, but there are free Flash games that offer a lot more fun and variation in gameplay, so personally I'd say, save your money and go play those instead.
cl4ym4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
ElfShotTheFood

It's definitely a "Match Three" type of game, but as these sort of things go it's not bad. The "drawing lines to make matches" part is a bit different, and some of the later boards will make you think.

I bought the game during the Christmas sale when it was selling for the same price it is today, and find it to be a decent time-waster.

One thing to keep in mind though is that the resolution is limited to 800x600, meaning you have to either play the game in a window or play it blown up to fill your screen. This doesn't scale up very well.
ElfShotTheFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #4
DirtyHarry50

A little relaxing mindless fun along the lines of solitaire or whatever might be alright for this price.

I'm not too thrilled about the resolution and sound issues reported with this game though. I guess it might be alright in a small window just as a diversion to relax with here and there. I have onboard sound (Realtek High Def) which supposedly works alright.

I might get this. It's pretty funny though when you have to think about it for a game costing around a dollar. It's too bad they could get such simple things as reliable sound and modern monitor resolutions right. If ever there was a shareware kind of game on Steam this seems to be it.
DirtyHarry50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Cosmina

The game had potential but the devs are apparently close to being idiots or just lazy. Maybe a little bit of both.

If you're one for principles and how devs act/react. Ignore this sale.

If you just care the game is fun, well the trailer pretty much nails it. And there are combos, of sorts. You're not just supposed to mindlessly swipe at tiles. In order to go to another "level" you need to match what the game says and they let you know what the next match will be. This can be challenging as your move affects the board and you're not guaranteed that next match. Make consecutive matches get more points. Thus combos and strategy.

Though, all in all, I'd much rather play this on Android or 3DS eshop. All its issues would be non factors then if sold for a buck or two.

EDIT:

They have an actual demo at their site: http://www.lucidpuzzle.com/

They also charge a laughable and insulting $19.95 for the full game there...

Last edited by Cosmina: 01-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Cosmina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #6
-B.A.Frayd-

The game is a relaxing and addictive time-killer.

The resolution of the game looks to be 800x600. I don't see any way to adjust the resolution so I played it in windowed mode, which makes the game pretty small on a 1920x1080 monitor.
-B.A.Frayd- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
jordie3000

I dunno. I enjoyed playing it, outside of the occasionally frustrating "GAH there is one block that ruins this, I can't get rid of all these others now" moments (which in the later levels happens a lot). For me, the inability for it to remember that you want it in windowed mode is very annoying (there are thread(s) on this in this subforum), and I know other people have had problems with how the game saves your place (i.e., barely). As for there being games quite like it for free on Armor Games or similar spots, I can say for certain I got some flack for buying this (on sale) instead of just playing those.

If you want to look at it a different way, you're paying $1.25 for a decent ambient soundtrack.
jordie3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
DirtyHarry50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmina View Post
The game had potential but the devs are apparently close to being idiots or just lazy. Maybe a little bit of both.

If you're one for principles and how devs act/react. Ignore this sale.

If you just care the game is fun, well the trailer pretty much nails it. And there are combos, of sorts. You're not just supposed to mindlessly swipe at tiles. In order to go to another "level" you need to match what the game says and they let you know what the next match will be. This can be challenging as your move affects the board and you're not guaranteed that next match. Make consecutive matches get more points. Thus combos and strategy.

Though, all in all, I'd much rather play this on Android or 3DS eshop. All its issues would be non factors then if sold for a buck or two.

EDIT:

They have an actual demo at their site: http://www.lucidpuzzle.com/

They also charge a laughable and insulting $19.95 for the full game there...
Thanks for the demo link. I just downloaded it and will give it a spin because I am too much of cheapskate to gamble a buck on this. lol
Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #9
ronin_19

Avoid imo. Just isn't worth it, and there's plenty of other games of this type that offer a better experience than Lucid.
ronin_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Erikose

My 4 year old daughter loves it to bits and can rack up some pretty high scores. Maybe the age its aimed at is wrong lol XD.

Last edited by Erikose: 01-09-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Erikose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #11
DirtyHarry50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikose View Post
My 4 year old daughter loves it to bits and can rack up some pretty high scores. Maybe the age its aimed at is wrong lol XD.
Probably perfect for me then! Maybe I can win too!

I tried the demo and thought it was good simple, relaxing fun. It's hard to go wrong for just a buck so I'm going to pick it up. Sometimes I like to just fiddle around with something simple.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Friendliest

Still undecided but watching the gameplay videos reminded me of Chains, which I found to be certified fun!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/11360/

the video doesn't really express how much fun this game is, and, in fact, if you have not played the game, might not make any sense!

but it's basically a "link them up" kind of game but w/ some physics awareness and each level has a different additional mechanic to mess w/ u. in all cases, u definitely don't want the balls to fall off the bottom of the screen.

for example at 00:50 in that video, they show a level where, if u do not clear your chains quickly enough, the weight of all the balls will cause the bottom to drop out. the very first level in the video, the balls are "flowing" downstream, but they get congested at the two indicated points, and if u don't clear chains fast enough, the river will be blocked (and u lose.) etc. fun game. especially valuable if u pick it up as part of a pack or on sale, IMO.

Last edited by Friendliest: 01-10-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Friendliest is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Lucid