Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 01-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
surr3al

Unhappy Skyrim Crashing To Desktop (An Analysis)

So - I've read on the forums and on other forums about the CTD issue.

I would like to note that I can confirm a CTD issue in regards to save file corruption.

Currently, my save game is at 11 MB (I've read others have reached 19 MB before corruption) but I'm surely having a corruption issue. At ~110 hours of game play, my game crashes at every attempt to auto-save or quick save. It also crashes if I attempt to sleep past a certain date (I think it's day 5 of hearthfire).

Also, if I load an earlier game, I can play for a while - but it eventually corrupts as well once I do some things (enchant armor, buy/sell, finish some quests)

Sad, really. At least I'm playing on PC and can start a new game using console commands to get back to where I am now... roughly.

Just wanted to promote awareness of this issue - it seems to affect others but it's scattered throughout the interwebs.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Feed_Bucket

I deleted my Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini in my Documents/My Games/Skyrim folder. Then run through the options via Skyrim to create new ones. Then I basically made the minimal amount of tweaks as opposed to my heavy tweaked previous versions. I tried not to add to the .ini's but only tweak what was there. so far it seemed to have cured my CTD woes. Of course now saying this I am probably jinxing myself.
Feed_Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
WRAITH126

My save game file is currently at 19.9MB ~ Gameplay 330 hours.
CTD's grew in frequency the more the game was played. Currently
my ability to play the game is gone. Trying to enter buildings and
locations and even heading in a particular direction crashes the game.
This is the same problem that Oblivion had and I was hoping they corrected the problem. The support was non-existent when I contacted the publisher.
I have recently sent requests for tech help for Skyrim and will wait one week. Then I will demand my money back, and then I will speak to an attorney.
WRAITH126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
squall_leonhart

cool story
squall_leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
surr3al

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRAITH126 View Post
This is the same problem that Oblivion had and I was hoping they corrected the problem. The support was non-existent when I contacted the publisher.
I have recently sent requests for tech help for Skyrim and will wait one week. Then I will demand my money back, and then I will speak to an attorney.
Bethesda has spoken about this, maybe we'll get a patch. I was able to revert to an earlier save and play fine since then. Luckily that worked out, still had to replay quite a bit.
surr3al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
fakiyo

Rare but several crashed to desktop without "reason".

Since I run the 4gb memory patch on my high end machine, no problem at all.

Damn consolitis.
fakiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
chronicpirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRAITH126 View Post
You're a fool if you think you'll get a refund let alone win a lawsuit.. You've openly admitted that you've played well over 300 hours.. and your steam account will verify this if you try and lie.. If the game was broke since day 1 you'd have a chance but the fact you got 300+ hours of use and the fact that a new game will work fine is going to really work against you..

I have had the same issue in regards to save size and was pretty(and still am) jarateed off about not being able to finish with one character but I just decided to start a new char and focus on what I didn't' finish the first time.. I do hope they actually fix this but seeing as it's existed in every beth game since Morrowind I really wont' be holding my breath...
chronicpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Viscinus

Starting yesterday, it has become impossible for me to enter places like dragonsreach, understone keep, or the area outside riften without instantly crashing. My savefile size now is at about 16,5 megs. It'll be impossible to finish anything now. Restarting is not an option.

So basically any character with a certain progression is doomed to become unplayable. I'd love to know if there is any kind of patch forthcoming for this, or if the focus is just going to be on paid dlc packs which will have little value in a game that's impossible to progress in without it breaking apart.
Viscinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #9
AnonymousOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakiyo View Post
Rare but several crashed to desktop without "reason".

Since I run the 4gb memory patch on my high end machine, no problem at all.

Damn consolitis.
The 1.3 game update patch made the 4GB memory mod unnecessary, and using it may cause conflicts if the 1.3 update is applied.
AnonymousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
Sleepy Ben

On my first character I put in around 100 hours and was starting to get regular crashes every hour or so or when things got busy - like around Riften or Markarth.

I restarted the game with a new character and started using the 4GB LAA mod which definitely helped and since the 1.3 patch I've topped 300 hours and had maybe 2 CTDs.

I'm playing the Vanilla game with minimal modding - No Kill Moves, Skyboost, the Map with roads, No More Blocky Faces - I figure if you add mods that really alter the texture usage then you take pot luck.
Sleepy Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
Noizic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Ben View Post
On my first character I put in around 100 hours and was starting to get regular crashes every hour or so or when things got busy - like around Riften or Markarth.

I restarted the game with a new character and started using the 4GB LAA mod which definitely helped and since the 1.3 patch I've topped 300 hours and had maybe 2 CTDs.

I'm playing the Vanilla game with minimal modding - No Kill Moves, Skyboost, the Map with roads, No More Blocky Faces - I figure if you add mods that really alter the texture usage then you take pot luck.
I was just going ":O" when you said 300 hours and 2 CTDs. I've been playing perhaps 25 hours and I have about 6-7 CTDs but I have 4 mods that alter textures, enhance shader and FXAA injector. Then again the CTDs are usually multiple hours apart and luckily the game has quick save instead of useless checkpoint system so I save like a freak like every half minute.

BTW, if you enjoy mods that alter character appearance try Xenius Character Enhancement that includes yours but doesn't really alter any textures, just making them look more real.
Noizic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
acohen1

I'm about 150 hours in, my saves are about 14MB, and I crash anytime I get near Solitude and the Wreck of the Winter War. I've done tons of other stuff and get CTDs every 45min of play time or so, but Solitude is totally off-limits.
acohen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Mr_Big

Skyrim no longer playable if save file exceeds 16 MB

Background:
-Purchased Skyrim via Steam back in November 2011.
-Installed on a high end machine with all patches, drivers and bios up to date.

Specifications:
-ASUS Rampage III Formula MB
- Duel Intel i7 (X980) 3.33 GHz CPUs
-24 GB Ram
-Win 7 Ultimate x64
- GeForce GTX 580
- Intel SSD 150 GB boot and data drives
-Realtek High Definition Audio

Skyrim Settings:
-All Skyrim game patches installed
-No modifications (e.g., HD textures)
-2560 x 1600 display resolution
-“High” graphic settings used

Problem:
-Crashe to Desktop (CTD) upon entering an area (cell); occurs frequently once character save file reached 16+ MB in size.

At first I thought this was quest logic related. My gameplay style is to explore the “world” and forgo major quest lines until everything is discovered. Having completed all Companions, College of Winterhold, Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood quests, but none of the Civil War quests my character was level 58; the number of items I had collected by now was several hundred and it appeared I had explored every location allowed by the story line to that point.

I returned to main quest and upon completing “Season Unending” (with Markrath now under the Stormcloaks’ control), I could not enter Understone Keep without a CTD. Very repeatable CTD and nothing solved the problem (e.g., coc, waiting several days, etc…). This location was now inaccessible due to the CTD. My assumption was the problem was a logic error in the quest given that I had opted to hold off so long in pursuing the main quest objectives.

As I continued to revisit locations in the world (in search of combat to level up my character), more and more interior areas became inaccessible with CTD. Now there are dozens of minor and number of major (Understone Keep, Proudspire Manor, Dawnstar Sanctuary, Ragged Flagon and the Palace of the Kings) locations that upon entering spark a CTD. Finally, transitioning some open areas will now cause a CTD, for example if walk or ride from Whiterun to Honningbrew Meadery. However, in the outdoor areas I can use a command line (coc) or approach from another direction to reach an objective.

If I load a saved game that is below (approximately) 16 MB in size none of these issues arise. Windows resource manager shows TESV.exe using between 800-1,000 MB of memory before the crash with total system memory resources at 2,100 MB. It appears that game has sufficient memory before reaching the 32 bit upper bound.

I’ve tried all manner of work around(s), but with some 200 hours of gameplay invested, this creping problem has made the game impossible to play much less enjoy. I am posting this in the hope that Bethesda will be able to use this information to craft a lasting solution.

Unfortunately, this frustrating experience makes me temper my enthusiasm for future Bethesda titles. Bethesda can go a long ways to address customer frustration by having open and frequent feedback with customers as solution is developed.
Mr_Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
Crag

CTDs here, too, after 518 hours

Will just add my too sense worth*, as I have a hunch that this problem will become more prevalent as players advance in the game.

I've been playing Skyrim on PC since 11-11-11, and according to the Steam interface, I've played 518 hours as of this evening. Just recently dinged 55. Prior to tonight the game has crashed on me three times, as far as I remember, and not once since patch 1.3.10. Not until tonight, that is.

Entered Whiterun, enchanted new rings and necklaces for my follower and me. Went directly to Jorrvaskr and took the "Let's go kill a dragon" quest from Farkas, and now I can't make it back out to Whiterun without a crash to desktop.

I reloaded the Jorrvaskr save multiple times and got the same crash. I tried running madly round and round the dining area with Farkas trying to catch up to me. No problem, no crash, also no fun. Immediate crash thereafter upon leaving Jorrvaskr.

I loaded the save generated by leaving Dragonsreach after my enchanting session, but the crash is almost immediate after the save is loaded. I have no desire to load even earlier saves for testing, since I don't want to have to do the enchanting over again.

From what I've read in this thread and in other forums, it seems that this type of CTD is happening at some point after many game hours have been put in. A save file or some such thing getting too big or corrupted seems a likely cause. My problem seems to have started when my save file got to 15.9 to 16.0 MB.

I'm disheartened to read that this is typical of Bethesda games and that the company does nothing to remedy it. If this is indeed the case, then there is no reason to start another character, since I won't be able to play the entire game on that one before the same CTD syndrome reappears.

Unfortunately, I don't know where to look for my save file, so I can't say how large it's become. But I have a question:

If the growth of the save file per character is a problem, why not make tracking of saves modular? If the game generated a new set of saves for every level, or every five or ten levels, wouldn't that eliminate the problem? Might even make it easier for a player to go back to an earlier version of a character and play forward placing perks differently if a wrong direction has been taken.

*Yeah, I know. Just havin' a wee bit of fun.

Last edited by Crag: 01-15-2012 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Found where save files are located, changing post to reflect this
Crag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Xilmin

Thought I'd add my issues to this thread as well.

Earlier in game I had a number of random CTDs but they seem to have been fixed by the 4GB memory patch. Now though, after 220 hours gaming, I get a consistent CTD whenever I try to enter Markarth Keep.

Tried various things, removing the ini files, reducing graphics to minimal, using the coc teleport command, but nothing worked. Loaded a previous save and that solved it. Played a bit more, doing some crafting, selling stuff, etc. CTD returned when entering the Keep again. Reload my last quicksave prior to selling solved it. Sold the stuff again and no problems. Made a save inside the Keep to be sure, then continued playing in other locations. Next time I visited Markarth the Keep had become inaccessible again.

Game breaking bug as far as I'm concerned and I'm not starting another character with an inevitable CTD going to develop in late game.

My save inside Markarth Keep is 16.929MB. My last game save was 16.934MB but saves in between those two are smaller. Perhaps I should try to find out when exactly the keep becomes inaccessible...

Really hope a patch comes at some point. I miss playing this game...
Xilmin is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V