Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
Evildave

Talking The totally FABULOUS 2012 screenshot contest & mappack annnouncement!

Hello Swarm fans.

While some of you might have been buried under work, snow , swarm drones or even sun ( to the last ones, I truly envy you ) the hardworking mappack krewe has been toiling to bring you the very best in playable customs. While the process has been sadly much slower than any of us wanted, it's getting there, which means YOU get to be part of the fun too.

Why yes, for we are now at a stage where really sexy announcements can be made!

1) The new mappack is almost ready ! (and it contains even more maps than the 40 map madness that was the "2011 spring update")
2) We are looking to start beta testing on the upcoming weekend ( 13-14-15 jan) and are looking for PLAYTEST volunteers!
3) Because the mappack is for the most part finished, WE ARE CALLING FOR A SCREENSHOT CONTEST. The winners will find their pictures included with the goodies for the release!

HOW DOES IT WORK?

- To apply for the betatest weekend, please contact goodone via his steam page (http://steamcommunity.com/id/goodone) or post a reply indicating your availabilitites in time ( do not forget timezone information) for the upcoming weekend. You can also post a reply to this thread with a valid steam account linked to your forum account.

- For the screenshot contest, please reply to this post linking to a steam screenshot ( ex : http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/7...04147860841274 from my acct) . If you want to prepare an "edited" screenshot, please try to keep the max resolution possible (as we're including those as screen backgrounds in the mappack.) and post a reply to this thread linking to your edited screenshot.

All winners will be included in the credits.

So please swarm fans.... flex those muscles, take those screenshots and join us in making this new mappack truly fabulous for all!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #2
IBeMad

For more epic screenshots, be sure to use firstperson!

Code:
sv_cheats 1
asw_god 1 (so your character doesn't die)
exec freecam
IBeMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Evildave

I wonder what cargo elevator would look like if you dont shoot the ones crawling up the wall and take a pic when the whole place is crawling with baddies. In first person. With flares and to make it all cinematic.
Evildave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Pilzquadrat

Sounds great, looking forward to the new maps
I may try to take a cool screenshot when I get around to it. Roll on
Pilzquadrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
goodone

Exclamation betatest instructions 1.1

following info is only for serious betatesters!

to beta test new version of the mappack, code fabulous2012, you have to do the following:

1. install clean spring 2011 mappack [no other maps, plz],
2. delete following files from Alien Swarm addons folder [usually "Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\swarm\addons"]:
Code:
biogen corporation.vpk
chaostheory v0.95a.vpk
coldcatwalksbeta1.vpk
dash.vpk
dead end 1.0.vpk
fulltreatment.vpk
groundzero.vpk
operationx5.vpk
redsnow.vpk
3. copy beta mappack update into Alien Swarm addons folder.
4. copy navmesh pack 1.0 into Alien Swarm addons folder.
5. copy biogen campaign 0.95 into Alien Swarm addons folder, and rename it to biogen_corporation.
6. delete all subfolders from "Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\swarm\materials\vgui\addons" folder.
7. test!

u should have 53 vpks in the addons folder, out of which 22 r new or updated in some way. the list looks like:
Code:
ancient_ruins.vpk            as_arctic-infiltration.vpk
battlefield.vpk              bhd.vpk
biogen_corporation.vpk       brainwater.vpk
brook.vpk                    bunker_assault.vpk
cathalu.vpk                  chaostheory.vpk
city17_as.vpk                cold_catwalks.vpk
comm_station_sweep.vpk       cube.vpk
dead city.vpk                deadtemple.vpk
dead_end.vpk                 death_knock.vpk
dronelab.vpk                 entrance.vpk
fireteam.vpk                 forbidden space.vpk
forgotten_factory.vpk        frosty.vpk
fulltreatment.vpk            groundzero.vpk
hessianborderstation.vpk     holdout.vpk
homicidalcloning.vpk         hovermap.vpk
jungle.vpk                   junooutpost.vpk
lanasescape.vpk              larnok.vpk
lostcause.vpk                missiondelta.vpk
missionqueen.vpk             navmeshes.vpk
obscure.vpk                  operationcleansweep.vpk
paranoia_full_version.vpk    queen_elimination.vpk
royalharvest.vpk             savage.vpk
simplenightmare.vpk          survivaldeepfreeze08.vpk
tarnor.vpk                   tech abuse.vpk
the beginning.vpk            turret_defence.vpk
westcliff.vpk                yanaurusmine.vpk
zoidbergreactor.vpk
beta test goals:
1. ensure u can access all maps from create game menu,
2. ensure u can access all maps from server's mission selection screen,
3. ensure u can play all new and old maps,
4. play new maps and test them as much as possible,
5. report any bugs, bad feelings and experiences with the new maps here ASAP.

beta test will b open until the mappack is released, early spring!

also, plz, if u have any suggestions about the campaigns/maps we should include, but we didn't, tell us here ASAP! this excludes the following maps:
Code:
exploring_osiris.vpk
fort_angules.vpk
icy_dawn.vpk
midnight_harvest.vpk
nitro_canister.vpk
woodland_holdout.vpk
aux1.vpk
red_snow.vpk
space_engine.vpk
dash.vpk
office.vpk
zentar_assualt.vpk
these maps r known to us, they r bugged and scheduled to b fixed/worked-on for the next mappack.

Last edited by goodone: 03-16-2012 at 02:40 AM. Reason: instructions 1.1
goodone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
Nightgunner5

I played Omega City with some random people from the internet, and the maps kept finding new aggravating ways to kill us. We'd get to the end, only to be attacked by thirty drones each, or we'd be forced to go through a dark area with no flares while constantly being attacked by boomers and loud music. Ugh.
Nightgunner5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
Evildave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightgunner5 View Post
I played Omega City with some random people from the internet, and the maps kept finding new aggravating ways to kill us. We'd get to the end, only to be attacked by thirty drones each, or we'd be forced to go through a dark area with no flares while constantly being attacked by boomers and loud music. Ugh.
Omega is what I like to call a "marathon" map, where you just have to keep moving as you just waste too much ressources killing everything ( bullets + medjuice).

I'll prob be on all night testing out. if you see me online, send me a message and we'll do some testing.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
Evildave

Ok, here are additional instructions :

For some reason the free version of winrar s up the unpacking of the betapack, so please use 7-zip ( which is free) to unpack the betapack file.

Bunker assault : meh survival, spawns so much drones it lags my computer ;p
Cube : Crazy amazing good. Altho near impossible to do solo.
Obscure : You need flashlight/flares, but it seems like a good map for a small (2-3) person team.
Hessian border station : very good map.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #10
goodone

Arrow feedback

1st, tnx for the feedback! that is the most important thing betatesters can do.

Quote:
Here's some screenshots from Cargo Elevator:
sweet! ^^

Quote:
constantly being attacked by boomers and loud music. Ugh.
don't u just love the absence of difficulty scale at the end of that campaign. and u must LOVE the music, while u desperately rush to kill the damn director and switch to another map, before music kills ur will for the game! ^^

still, it's one of the best campaign out there, even if these things desperately need 2 b changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evildave View Post
For some reason the free version of winrar s up the unpacking of the betapack, so please use 7-zip (which is free) to unpack the betapack file.
asaik, winrar has no free versions... u must b thinking on shareware.

in any case, i don't use the wretched thing, but winrar does specify compliance with 7-zip standard, and at least newest versions should b able 2 unpack every type of 7-zip file. maybe u used some out-dated version?

if that's the case, it would explain the:
Quote:
5:21 - Evildave: for one, i see " death knock" something like 15 times in my addons menu
currently, all my 7z files r compressed with 9.22 version of 7-zip [through total7zip 0.8.5.2; which is stable and bug-free], using lzma2 and ultra compression. this gives me 15%+ lesser files than rar4+ with -m5 -s switches, so, it's a clean winner, and, unless someone proves otherwise, it will b used. if, finally, winrar proves incompatible, ppl will just have 2 read the instructions.

Quote:
Bunker assault : meh survival, spawns so much drones it lags my computer ;p
its popularity is the main reason for inclusion. many ppl love those simple maps [even if the concept breaks the true as spirit], so, it's included.

Quote:
Cube : Crazy amazing good. Altho near impossible to do solo.
Obscure : You need flashlight/flares, but it seems like a good map for a small (2-3) person team.
Hessian border station : very good map.
agreed.

Quote:
5:21 - Evildave: that map is also still uncompleted
while it does need some work, like most of the maps, it's good enough to b included.

Quote:
7:39 - Evildave: also, why remove biogen ? i love that map, it's great for soloing
biogen is bugged with many issues, one of which is not showing in the game menu.

maps with that particular bug will b included in the mappack in a separate folder and with special notice and recommendations. thus, it's not excluded per se, but has already been flagged as bugged, and needs no additional betatesting.

betatest maps r those we haven't previously experienced any serious bug or a design issue, and they need more scrutiny. no-bugs/serious-issues is the prime principle for this mappack iteration.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
Evildave

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodone View Post
biogen is bugged with many issues, one of which is not showing in the game menu.
It's not located on the menu in alphabetical order : Look for it between " entrance" and "fireteam".
You also have to setyup the difficulty to hard to be able to play, otherwise there's an autofail condition. It says so in the briefing (put it on hard/insane/brutal only!!!)
I just did a run thru it and it's fine.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #12
goodone

Quote:
It's not located on the menu in alphabetical order : Look for it between " entrance" and "fireteam".
and that's the first clue it's bugged with missing-from-the-game-menu bug.

if u need 2 b assured, add any of these:
Code:
biogen_corporation.vpk   exploring_osiris.vpk     fort_angules.vpk
icy_dawn.vpk             midnight_harvest.vpk     nitro_canister.vpk
woodland_holdout.vpk
and u will experience the bug.

Quote:
You also have to setyup the difficulty to hard to be able to play, otherwise there's an autofail condition. It says so in the briefing (put it on hard/insane/brutal only!!!)
yet another issue to raise an eyebrow against the prime principle.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #13
goodone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightgunner5
I'm making a navigation mesh pack with as many of the popular maps as possible in it.
how safe is it for a separate navigation mesh pack to b included in the final mappack? any special issues with meshes that broke the server during generation?

also, could u redo it after i finally conclude the mappack, so i could put it in?
Old 01-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
Nightgunner5

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodone View Post
how safe is it for a separate navigation mesh pack to b included in the final mappack? any special issues with meshes that broke the server during generation?

also, could u redo it after i finally conclude the mappack, so i could put it in?
http://swarmarmory.com/maps?action=v...=409-NavMeshes

A few of the maps crashed my server when I tried to generate a navmesh for them, but they should be ok without one. In most cases, it fixes alien and bot navigation in maps where the mapper may have forgotten or messed up an area of info_node. The only map where this might not be the case is the first map of fire team.

It's perfectly safe to include the navigation meshes in a separate VPK.
Nightgunner5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
goodone

Quote:
It's perfectly safe to include the navigation meshes in a separate VPK.
we have officially included navmesh pack to betatest. so, all betatesters, test with navmesh pack!

what we need back is ur experience and any and all bugs with this approach!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm