Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam

Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
AppleCrypt

Left 4 Dead games.... Killing Floor ,... Half Life 2 .... There's three to keep you going!
AppleCrypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #17
Makkususama

Portal, Portal 2, and Left 4 Dead 2.
The Portal Series is a MUST unless you hate puzzle games...
Makkususama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #18
cleo641

Quote:
Originally Posted by apdonato View Post
Splinter Cell: Conviction is a good choice but keep in mind that even though it is available on Steam, Ubisoft's draconian DRM will stop you from playing the game offline.

If this isn't an issue for you then enjoy, I heard it was a good port.

Here is a list of games that I ran very well on my Mac without any problems:

BioShock
Civilization V
DiRT 2
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 Episode One
Half-Life 2 Episode Two
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal
Portal 2
Team Fortress 2

If you try to run Assassin's Creed II or Assassin's Creed Brotherhood I can't guarantee that you won't run into problems.

Here are some other games that I recommend but haven't played yet on my Mac:

Call of Duty 4
Batman: AA
Borderlands
Starcraft II <--(evil DRM)
...and a few others I can't remember

Hope this helped a bit.
Hello. May I ask how you can run Call of Duty 4, Borderlands,and Bioshock on a Mac (OSX) when it says it is windows only in the steam store?
cleo641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #19
masterchef341

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo641 View Post
Hello. May I ask how you can run Call of Duty 4, Borderlands,and Bioshock on a Mac (OSX) when it says it is windows only in the steam store?
To play these on the mac, you could purchase them on the Mac App Store. They are all available there.

Unfortunately, the mac versions of these games are not currently available on steam because of licensing issues with the developers / publishers of the games.
masterchef341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #20
bubblebuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberAthlete View Post
I am very excited to get into my iMac, I get it this weekend, and I have never gamed on PC/Mac and was wondering what is the best game or games to get? Also one other question should I get a controller if so which one to get, I herd wired 360? Thanks alot!!
Word of advice. If you really like playing games, spend a little extra buying Windows 7. Run it through boot camp, and enjoy your iMac.
bubblebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebuster View Post
Word of advice. If you really like playing games, spend a little extra buying Windows 7. Run it through boot camp, and enjoy your iMac.
or... spend no money at all and run your favorite games through cider and wineskin
apdonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #22
dpgirl

Quote:
or... spend no money at all and run your favorite games through cider and wineskin
can be very true, but harder for some people. I recently started playing Grimrock because I love old-school RPGs, and it runs fantastic ported with Wineskin... the developers should release their own version doing that.
dpgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
bubblebuster

Quote:
That's illegal. It's not illegal to use these programs, but it's illegal to use certain features of Windows, such as Directx, through wineskin.

Since all Windows games go through Directx, using wineskin and others to play Windows games is in fact illegal.
bubblebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Tsrezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberAthlete View Post
I am very excited to get into my iMac, I get it this weekend, and I have never gamed on PC/Mac and was wondering what is the best game or games to get? Also one other question should I get a controller if so which one to get, I herd wired 360? Thanks alot!!
I got my iMac last week, and i am also new to PC gaming.
I started off with Team Fortress 2 and The Walking Dead. I then got Left 4 Dead 2 and Driver as they all work on the Mac.
I have now just ordered windows 7 to play games like crysis and arma 2, as for some reason they have not been ported although the hardware requirements are (not to be smug) dated now for the hardware my iMac has.

The reason for getting windows 7 is to play these games.
Not starting a turf war but i much prefer my iMac to a PC, the 1440p 27" screen is just amazing.
Also prefer OSX to windows, just had to turn to the "dark side" in order to play these awesome games.

And yes 360 wired controller is the best, get wired other then the wireless connection port that amazon sell as it works better imo.
Tsrezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #25
Tsrezza

welcome to iMac
Tsrezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #26
dpgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblebuster View Post
That's illegal. It's not illegal to use these programs, but it's illegal to use certain features of Windows, such as Directx, through wineskin.

Since all Windows games go through Directx, using wineskin and others to play Windows games is in fact illegal.
no its not. Wine has its own version of DirectX built in, you do not install Microsofts DirectX. You *can* do that, but it breaks more than it fixes. Some games Wine's DirectX doesn't work right and a dll or two is used, but the legality of that is not black and white.
dpgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #27
mgsfan18

Bioshock (mac version not available on steam get it from the mac store), Half-life 2, and TF2.
mgsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #28
Brucie

Team Fortress 2 is my personal favorite, but any of the Valve games are worth a look for the Mac.

Some amazing deals in the Steam sale so its worth taking a look - there is something for everyone!
Brucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgirl View Post
no its not. Wine has its own version of DirectX built in, you do not install Microsofts DirectX. You *can* do that, but it breaks more than it fixes. Some games Wine's DirectX doesn't work right and a dll or two is used, but the legality of that is not black and white.
yup, a company called transgaming (who recently released an official port of the darkness II) own the rights to cider, which is based on wine. cider uses many of the same direct x dlls that wineskin uses. does that mean transgaming is committing illegal actions? nope

plus, wineskin is completely open source... if it was illegal, Microsoft would have pounced on code weavers ages ago

and on top of that, most people these days have a windows license one way or another... for instance, i have an old windows xp disc sitting in my closet that i've never used, wineskin emulates a windows xp 32-bit environment, so how could i possibly be charged for a crime like that when i have a legal copy sitting right next to me? thats besides the point, because wineskin is open source and free and LEGAL

ohh and one more thing, wineskin is the only way for linux users to play games, and a lot of linux users play games mind you...

so by bubblebuster's logic, they be a lot of them criminal linux users out there ye hear

Last edited by apdonato: 07-23-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #30
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucie View Post
Team Fortress 2 is my personal favorite, but any of the Valve games are worth a look for the Mac.

Some amazing deals in the Steam sale so its worth taking a look - there is something for everyone!
no more epic steam sale, we have to wait another 6 months for more epic deals

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Steam