Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2

Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Kamiyama01

question about minimum specs

I loved Shogun Total War so I was looking forward to playing Shogun 2, and was ecstatic when the minimum requirements for Shogun 2 appeared to run on my hardware.

Processor: 2 GHz Intel Dual Core processor / 2.6 GHz Intel Single Core processor , or AMD equivalent (with SSE2)
Memory: 1GB RAM (XP), 2GB RAM (Vista / Windows7)
Graphics: 256 MB DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics card (shader model 3)
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive: 20GB free hard disk space
Screen Resolution: 1024x768

Having a laptop PC with a 2 ghz Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4200 processor, 4 gb of RAM, and a 512mb video card, I thought I was all set.

Wrong. I get a BSOD every time I try to start the game. I have spent days pouring over technical support forums and have tried updating everything I could think of, BIOS, Sound Drivers, DirectX, and nothing has worked.

I have been planning on replacing my laptop soon anyway, but I have a limited budget, and wanted to know if anyone has used one of these AMD A-series laptops like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215186

It has a 1.4 ghz quad-core, and these A-series processors supposedly have graphics capabilities built in that run in crossfire mode with the video card. Having a 1gb video card in there is also pretty nice too. DDR3 RAM is dirt cheap at the moment, and I could upgrade it to 8gb for about 40 bucks.

Does anyone know how Shogun 2 runs on these A-series processors? 600 bucks is actually a long-term investment for me, so I wanted to be sure.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
daelin4

Moderator - Total War
Getting a BSOD "every time" is not symptomatic of insufficient CPU power. Slow, chopper and laggy performance is.

Have a visit at the official forums' tech support section. Post DXDiag full PC specs and detailed information on your problem. Just saying you get BSODs mean nothing to them.
daelin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
Kamiyama01

You honestly aren't very helpful. You didn't even answer my question.
Kamiyama01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
daelin4

Moderator - Total War
That's because I was talking about the BSODs, and thus would find more answers from a place where tech mods visit the most. It's highly unlikely the problem is due to the fact that it's barely minimum specs and more likely some other problem unrelated. PCs don't give BSODs because if it detects that it lacks the minimum. They just chug. My old laptop did not meet the minimum specs and I never got a BSOD- it just lagged like hell.

As for that laptop, it is roughly comparable to nVidia's 520M. Which would be an entry-middle card. Which is quite weak. Unless your "512MB video card" is way faster, you're not really getting a computer that's worth running the game.

Last edited by daelin4: 01-13-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
KimuraOkagawa

So that I don't have to start a new topic for this, what would be your opinion for these laptop specs?

RAM: 3GB (oddly enough, both System Properties and "Can I Run It" only list 2.74GB as being actually usable...)
CPU: AMD Athlon II P320 2.1GHz dual-core
GPU: ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4250, reported by Shogun 2 as ~256MB of VRAM and 1.4GB by Can I Run It (again, wha?)

Drivers:
Catalyst Control Center v11.12 (just updated it)
DirectX 11, though only DX9 is actually usable by Shogun 2 or Source Engine. No problems reported by dxdiag.

Game experience:
Splash screen takes five minutes to respond, not even able to tab out or Ctrl-Shift-Esc until the cursor changes to the Shogun 2 arrow. Actual, in-game loading is between 30sec (main menu to campaign map, or loading a campaign save state) and 2min (campaign map to battle map or vice versa).
Game is impossibly slow in windowed mode, does actually run in fullscreen (which unfortunately causes the aforementioned "I can't even get to Task Manager unless the game finishes loading or Windows itself kills Shogun2.exe" problem). Unplayable framerate unless every graphics setting is at the Low preset.
On the campaign map, there's a halfway-decent framerate (no way to get actual number, but it feels like ~25fps). Battle map is even worse, 10-15fps (again, subjective feeling) depending on how many units are onscreen.

Experience with other games (just to get a better idea of how playing on here actually feels):
Garry's Mod - Unable to exceed 26fps in an empty gm_construct if playing windowed-noborder. In fullscreen, can get over 40fps even in a very busy Trouble in Terrorist Town map (though smoke grenades cause a lot of lag).
Other Source Engine games - Same as Garry's Mod, except the average fullscreen framerate is about 5fps lower in TF2. Portal 2 almost crashes at the level with the Repulsion-Gel-covered cube when it's bouncing inside the cage, runs fine otherwise.
Minecraft - Can't even get to 15fps in Minecraft 1.1 Vanilla on Fancy graphics, Far drawdistance, Advanced OpenGL enabled. Playable (>20fps) at Fast/Normal/OpenGL-off. In Minecraft 1.0 with the OptiFine mod (there's no 1.1 OptiFine yet), about 30-35fps on max settings. Notch seriously needs to optimize his render code.

Edit: Scratch that last part about Minecraft, I'm actually getting 40fps in max-window (not fullscreen, which I can't do) in un-OptiFined Minecraft 1.1... in the Nether. Oddly enough, in every version since Beta 1.7.3, I have consistently gotten higher (+5 to +15fps) framerates in the Nether, and I've never figured out why.

Last edited by KimuraOkagawa: 01-14-2012 at 08:11 PM.
KimuraOkagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
shammy360

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimuraOkagawa View Post
So that I don't have to start a new topic for this, what would be your opinion for these laptop specs?

RAM: 3GB (oddly enough, both System Properties and "Can I Run It" only list 2.74GB as being actually usable...)
CPU:ted by Shogun 2 as ~256MB of VRAM and 1.4GB by Can I Run It AMD Athlon II P320 2.1GHz dual-core
GPU: ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4250, repor(again, wha?)

Drivers:
Catalyst Control Center v11.12 (just updated it)
DirectX 11, though only DX9 is actually usable by Shogun 2 or Source Engine. No problems reported by dxdiag.

Game experience:
Splash screen takes five minutes to respond, not even able to tab out or Ctrl-Shift-Esc until the cursor changes to the Shogun 2 arrow. Actual, in-game loading is between 30sec (main menu to campaign map, or loading a campaign save state) and 2min (campaign map to battle map or vice versa).
Game is impossibly slow in windowed mode, does actually run in fullscreen (which unfortunately causes the aforementioned "I can't even get to Task Manager unless the game finishes loading or Windows itself kills Shogun2.exe" problem). Unplayable framerate unless every graphics setting is at the Low preset.
On the campaign map, there's a halfway-decent framerate (no way to get actual number, but it feels like ~25fps). Battle map is even worse, 10-15fps (again, subjective feeling) depending on how many units are onscreen.

Experience with other games (just to get a better idea of how playing on here actually feels):
Garry's Mod - Unable to exceed 26fps in an empty gm_construct if playing windowed-noborder. In fullscreen, can get over 40fps even in a very busy Trouble in Terrorist Town map (though smoke grenades cause a lot of lag).
Other Source Engine games - Same as Garry's Mod, except the average fullscreen framerate is about 5fps lower in TF2. Portal 2 almost crashes at the level with the Repulsion-Gel-covered cube when it's bouncing inside the cage, runs fine otherwise.
Minecraft - Can't even get to 15fps in Minecraft 1.1 Vanilla on Fancy graphics, Far drawdistance, Advanced OpenGL enabled. Playable (>20fps) at Fast/Normal/OpenGL-off. In Minecraft 1.0 with the OptiFine mod (there's no 1.1 OptiFine yet), about 30-35fps on max settings. Notch seriously needs to optimize his render code.

Edit: Scratch that last part about Minecraft, I'm actually getting 40fps in max-window (not fullscreen, which I can't do) in un-OptiFined Minecraft 1.1... in the Nether. Oddly enough, in every version since Beta 1.7.3, I have consistently gotten higher (+5 to +15fps) framerates in the Nether, and I've never figured out why.
simple your laptop does not meet the system requirements , ATI Radeon Mobility HD 4250 one of the worst gpu if not the worse
shammy360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
daelin4

Moderator - Total War
Not the worst, merely entry- level, which would only support low graphics settings.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
KimuraOkagawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by daelin4 View Post
Not the worst, merely entry- level, which would only support low graphics settings.
Okay then, is there any way to upgrade, or are laptop graphics cards usually integrated into the motherboard, and I'd have to replace the entire thing?

And yeah, I had a feeling it was bad. At the time, I could only afford a $450 laptop at Walmart, and this one was the best in that price range...
Old 01-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
daelin4

Moderator - Total War
Vast majority of laptops cannot upgrade those types of components. Those that can are already very expensive. Gaming laptops would be at least $1000 for a decent one.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #10
KimuraOkagawa

Okay, one more question I just thought of: Between a laptop and desktop with comparable specs (CPU, memory, equivalent GPU, etc), will they have the same in-game performance, or will the laptop always have a weaker framerate assuming the same raw computing power? I ask because when I first got this laptop (March of last year, so around Minecraft Beta 1.4), the performance of my four-year-old desktop, with worse specs in all categories (only WinXP, 1GB RAM (later upgraded to 2GB), 2.21GHz single-core, don't remember the GPU but I know it was Nvidia GeForce 5XXX-something, maybe 5200), not only ran Minecraft better (though I can't test it now, Dad gutted it because his desktop is even worse), but it also ran Source games at almost 60fps...

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2