Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > King's Bounty series

Old 01-13-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
DJ Cryotek

Question Can You Get "Stuck" In These Games

In other words, can you do poorly enough that you simply cannot progress and have to restart the entire game? I'm thinking about playing Armored Princess. I know there are limited numbers of army units available as I played the first game a bit. Do they never replenish? Can you just run out of army and be screwed?

I had something like this happen with Recettear and it was incredibly frustrating. If this is the case I'm not sure I'm going to bother. They are slow enough games without having to completely restart again
Old 01-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
jcohan

There are army units which are available in unlimited numbers. They're usually not the best units, but you should always be able to have five filled slots. Also, some of the units which are technically limited are available in such large numbers that it's hard to imagine exhausting them.

There's also a difficulty setting, so you could always choose "easy."
jcohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
DJ Cryotek

Cool, thank you!
DJ Cryotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Darkeonz

You can get stuck. But If you do, then it's for economical reasons. Losing too many units in battles and such. If you play on easy or normal it shouldn't be a problem. But on hard and impossible, you should definitely shoot for 0 losses most of the time early on in the game. If you can get the level 3 achievement for no losses somewhat fast, it really helps a lot

Last edited by Darkeonz: 01-15-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Darkeonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
Dazzled

While there are unlimited numbers of some very weak creatures, the total amount of gold you can earn is limited, so it is possible to get stuck in a hopeless situation.

My suggestion is to start on Easy.
Dazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Corvus Corax

Yeah, you can get stuck. After 3 weeks of this, I've finally gotten to the point where I simply haven't enough gold to keep my army up (black and red dragons, ancient ents, royal snakes and knights). I'm in the Labryrinth, but it's clear I'll never see the end of this thing. I went for a mage build, concentrating on attack spells (level 3 geyser, ghost sword, ice snakes, rain of fire), but it just hasn't worked out. At 132 mana, I'm starved all the time and with 15K leadership, my army's too small....even if I could afford to recruit. The battles at this point in the game cost me more than I make....one pyrrhic victory after another. Maybe I should have gone for buffs and healing instead of combat spells. If I can't beat this game on normal difficulty then it's clearly not the game for me. My hat's off to those who can beat it on Impossible.
Corvus Corax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Dazzled

There is no shame on beating it on Easy, that's how I play and it is great fun.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
NorrecV

Don't underestimate yourself. I played through the first game on Hard my first go, as a paladin. I finished the game with essentially unlimited money since I was able to keep a goodly number of troops alive. I found that almost any battle was winnable by just throwing your troops at the other guy. The challange comes from having more than a handfull of those troops survive to the next battle.

I'm about to start Crossworlds(same as Armored Princess) on Hard as well. I heard it's harder than the first game, but we'll see.
NorrecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Dazzled

I find crossworlds easier because the medals you can earn give sizeable boosts to your abilities. Plus it's much easier to find good units. And if you abuse the Wizard's Tower you can upgrade all your equipment practically for free, all the time.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Corvus Corax

Despite my continual whining, I'll keep playing in the hope I can figure something out. I've got about 350K gold atm and am planning to exploit the Gremlin mansion next to see if I can build up a sizable nest-egg for a minimal troop investment. The game is tricky in the sense that only a couple of days ago I had over 600K gold and the least of my worries was going broke.

I've only got 29 intellect which makes me wish I'd put more points into that early on, instead of into leadership. Mana remains a constant problem. I've only found 2 or 3 items that increase it. I've got both the Dragon Sword and Rhaha's shield which is great against dragons. My main problem is that it costs me 2 or 3 dragons to beat each boss in the Labyrinth. They cost tons to replace and I only have two, limited sources for dragons. I'll probably run out of dragons before I run out of money. Since the enemy dragons come to me, my slow knights and ancient ents serve pretty well as heavy-hitting meat shields to help finish off enemy dragons while my dragons are grabbing any money and taking out enemy ranged troops. The royal snakes are just plain great against practically everything.
Corvus Corax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
NorrecV

Oh, I know where you're talking about now.

Yeah, those fights were impossible for me(without heavy losses). I just ran past the ones I could and threw my forces away when I couldn't. I bought whatever random troops I could along the way because I was determined to make it through and knew I'd have to fight more if I left.

It was a big spike in difficulty for me, but things got back to normal on the otherside.
NorrecV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
hellboy909

I'm kind of stuck. I can't figure out how to get from the Islands of Freedom to the next area. I've killed just about everything and would like to proceed, but I can't figure out how. *grrr*

And I didn't even see an option for difficulty (playing KB: The Legend).
hellboy909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
Dazzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy909 View Post
I'm kind of stuck. I can't figure out how to get from the Islands of Freedom to the next area. I've killed just about everything and would like to proceed, but I can't figure out how. *grrr*

And I didn't even see an option for difficulty (playing KB: The Legend).
You can only choose difficulty when you start a new campaign, look for the button below the 3 classes you can play.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > King's Bounty series