Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress Classic

Old 01-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
pizzahut

ETANA v2.20 Linux

I'm looking for the file "etana_mm_220_i386.so", which is not included with the ETANA loader, and it doesn't download the file either by itself. (Yes I know about HLGuard.)

Edit: Considering that the old ETANA version which doesn't use a loader, v1.10, is available, and that the newer version with the loader don't necessarily add anything of value *today* (as in, all the additions are now defunct?), am I better off running the old version that can still be downloaded?

Edit 2: Got it now, thanks []Zer0.

Last edited by pizzahut: 01-15-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
urban360

I have a windows copy. Idk if I have a linux copy sitting round. etana really isn't all that great considering unlike hlguard, etana list of things to check players for is 100% hardcoded list which means you can't add or remove what to scan for. To top it off etana can cause other plugins to stop functioning properly. I've been wondering what makes etana the better choice to some people when hlguard allows self sufficiency and etana makes you dependant on the plugin developer for additions to the scan list? And everyone knows plugin developers don't support their plugins forever.
urban360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
pizzahut

HLGuard is a bit overkill, I'd have to disable stuff first, like their wallhack block wasn't exactly CPU friendly when we tried it years ago, then it used to ban for an ordinary jump spam script in TFC that basically did

bind space "j;j;j;j;j"
alias j "+jump;wait;-jump;wait"

Not using _special or anything like that. It was fixed though but who knows what the current version does, considering it's still heavily focused on Counter-Strike and thus has these mostly CS related functions:

Code 30#x Bunny-Hop-Script Erkennung
Code 31#x Quick-Silencer Scripte
Code 32#x Rapid/Burstfire Erkennung
Code 33#x 180 Degree Turn Scripts
Code 34#x Recoil Scripte/ Weapon Bug Scripte
Code 35#x Servercrash-Scripte
Code 36#x Spammer Scripte / Silent Defuse
Code 37#x Fast AWM Change Scripte
Code 38#x Unwanted Scripte, Benutzung eines Fehlers oder or Exploit

And then I'm not sure if HLGuard covers all kind of checks that ETANA has, that is

- CVAR Locks (ok that's most likely covered)
- CVAR Limits
- File Locks
- Command Locks
- Alias Locks

So basically, ETANA does the job hassle free, while HLGuard needs lots of messing around and testing until it's certain HLGuard works as desired. (Unless you run a CS server, then HLGuard can probably be used out of the box.)

Last edited by pizzahut: 01-15-2012 at 05:20 AM.
pizzahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
urban360

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahut View Post
HLGuard is a bit overkill, I'd have to disable stuff first, like their wallhack block wasn't exactly CPU friendly when we tried it years ago, then it used to ban for an ordinary jump spam script in TFC that basically did

bind space "j;j;j;j;j"
alias j "+jump;wait;-jump;wait"

Not using _special or anything like that. It was fixed though but who knows what the current version does, considering it's still heavily focused on Counter-Strike and thus has these mostly CS related functions:

Code 30#x Bunny-Hop-Script Erkennung
Code 31#x Quick-Silencer Scripte
Code 32#x Rapid/Burstfire Erkennung
Code 33#x 180 Degree Turn Scripts
Code 34#x Recoil Scripte/ Weapon Bug Scripte
Code 35#x Servercrash-Scripte
Code 36#x Spammer Scripte / Silent Defuse
Code 37#x Fast AWM Change Scripte
Code 38#x Unwanted Scripte, Benutzung eines Fehlers oder or Exploit

And then I'm not sure if HLGuard covers all kind of checks that ETANA has, that is

- CVAR Limits
- File Locks
- Command Locks
- Alias Locks

So basically, ETANA does the job hassle free, while HLGuard needs lots of messing around and testing until it's certain HLGuard works as desired. (Unless you run a CS server, then HLGuard can probably be used out of the box.)
HLguard is pretty high maintenance though you can manipulate or add things for checking. I use HLguard on my server along with a ton of other plugins and amxx modules running and performance not effected at all.

Quote:
- CVAR Limits
- File Locks
- Command Locks
- Alias Locks
CVAR Limits Yes
CVAR Locks: Yes
Command Locks: - Aren't commands essentially cvars just without a value? Yes
File Locks: Isn't that what mp_consistency does or you talking about client game file scans? If file scans then yes
Alias Locks: It does alias scans but idk about alias locking. If its a command like wait and bind that isn't sent to the server then No. Not possible to lock a command not sent to the server. Im guessing alias is sent to the server considering ETANA can lock it. Im pretty sure if ETANA can do it, HLguard can too if you add alias to HLguard's cvar/command locks.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
pizzahut

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban360 View Post
I use HLguard on my server along with a ton of other plugins and amxx modules running and performance not effected at all.
Have you tried enabling HLGuard's aim bot check and wall hack block on a full 30 player server? I think both can be turned off though if necessary.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
urban360

Actually no, Its all enabled but I dont have a big box server. But what kind of lag are we talking about? heavy CPU load or bandwidth load? I use HLguard_optimized_mm.dll but this game is over a decade old and todays hardware and bandwidth surpasses well beyond TFC's CPU and Bandwidth demands by a long shot. Even with 30 players filling a server it shouldn't drain that much to notice.

HLguard runs everything from .cfg files. Anything can be switched on or off, added or removed. I also looked up about the alias command. It is like wait, exec and bind. It can not be blocked because its not a command sent to the server.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
pizzahut

Yes today's hardware would probably be fine, unfortunately that's not an option atm. I know from memory it was a Pentium 4 based CPU when we tried HLGuard, and the server was lagged so severely that the head admin at the time turned off the wall hack block and it was ok then.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress Classic