Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Costume Quest

Old 01-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Dead Lee

Anti Aliasing on AMD graphics

Hi, I'm loving this game. Is there anyway to change the anti aliasing? All those jaggies are bugging me a bit. I have it set to my maximum resolution. I've tried changing it in the Catalyst Control Centre, but this game doesn't like forced anti aliasing.

Please help
Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
Currently that's all you can do, sorry. In the future we may add higher fidelity AA options.
DFNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #3
Khronikos

Lol, in the future. So never then, dude? I'll hold out hope but that usually means you are just BS'ing.

I would have never bought this worthless--worthless because I have the PS3 version which runs and looks the same--port if I had known it had no AA. Who makes an engine without anti-aliasing in some form anyway? It makes your game look like crap where otherwise it would have been beautiful.

I mean, why did you even port to PC when most of us wanted the higher resolution with 60fps and at least the idea of forcing AA.

You pretty much gave us none of these as even 1080p here doesn't really look much better than 720p on consoles. What a waste this port was and I don't think I will be purchasing any more of your content or games. I mean, you could have warned some of us who actually thought you guys were going to try and port the game correctly. Now you just leave some of us feeling robbed. Hell, I would feel bad if I were you because my own artistic vision is compromised by the jaggies. You have a great artstyle, so why it up.

Last edited by Khronikos: 01-16-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Khronikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
Hey, Khronikos. I think it's generally bad form to (essentially) accuse strangers of lying. Anyway, I try to be as forthright as I can be on these forums. I try to speak as honestly as I can here, but I don't want to either overstate or understate our plans. Currently we are seriously discussing FXAA for CQ, but we have not built a schedule around it so I can't promise a specific day or date.

To answer the questions embedded in your rant:
* CQ on PS360 uses a hybrid CPU/GPU MLAA. The techniques used on the console for MLAA don't port cleanly to the PC. Due to some internal timing/staffing, we had relatively little time between the start of CQ PC and Haloween. To make that date, FSAA was one of the things that didn't make it. Unfortunately, due to some bad behavior between our game and most drivers, you can't force MSAA on without getting strange artifacts. All that said, you have a fair point that some flavor of FSAA is common in almost all PC games now and not having it was an omission. As I said above, we'll look to correct that as soon as we can.
* As to why we ported to PC, it was to bring the game to people who wanted to play it but don't have a PS3 or 360. Expanding the audience was the primary goal, not providing an extra-hi fidelity experience to current customers. Clearly some players care a great deal about these extra-fidelity issues, but from feedback here and elsewhere that does not represent a majority or even signficant minoirty of our users.

Anyway, thank you for your feedback. You clearly like the game and care a lot about technical fidelity I hope you keep buying our games and giving us your feedback, though, perhaps in a less vitriolic fashion in the future.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
Khronikos

Fair enough I guess. I am no proponent of FSAA either but it would probably enhance this artstyle a bit more than what it is.

Sonic Generations uses it and really besides the framedrops it is the only thing wrong with the game as it doesn't really provide enough coverage without blurring the material and exposing jaggies as well. But it is certainly better than nothing.

I think that FSAA would probably have made this game better as the artstyle is bold and a little blurring would not affect it much imo but I have not seen it in action.

Of course allowing us to force MSAA is always the best option and makes your game look more timeless. Pixar AA's the out of their image. Why? Because it makes their image timeless. They don't have to worry about the gigantic distraction that jaggies are to people.

If you are aiming for the console crowd that still doesn't really give any excuse for not having it in the game in a better form as the game itself doesn't seem to be rendering a whole lot.

MLAA to me is the worst of the bunch because of all the sub pixel problems and is always the worst choice unless you are caught in the KZ3 type of box where blurring is not what you want and maybe you cannot even afford any other solution. But still, KZ3 has sub pixel aliasing up the wazoo and it does hurt. Uncharted 3 for example also can look a bit off but again I think their custom solution was the right choice in their situation although that can be heavily debated as MSAA 2x looked clearer and sharper in U2.

I appreciate your response.

Last edited by Khronikos: 01-16-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
FYI that a new patch will be posted in the next few hours that adds support for FXAA and, by command line, 2x and 4x SSAA. Please see the release notes for more specifics. Also, these features will be standard in all future PC projects (like Stacking!)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 PM   #7
Khronikos

Well, it looks much better now. Sorry for all the whining but sometimes I am and many others are adamant to get rid of jaggies for presentation of artstyle IF possible. It is necessary for people not be involved in being distracted imo. The game looks very cool on the big screen. Immersion has went up for me at least. I can tell jaggies are much less on the first cutscene.

Great stuff!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #8
DFNathan

Double Fine Productions
Glad you like it!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
Dead Lee

sorry for not replying, haven't played in a while. Thanks for the kind replies and a patch, it looks brilliant now
Dead Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
superdragonpoop

I seem to have missed the reason the OP didn't override CQ's graphics settings using the tools for his video card to force whatever graphics options he wanted. Both Nvidia and ATI provide tools for this exact reason.

I did appreciate the patch though. Quality, as always.
superdragonpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
DFDavid

Double Fine Productions
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdragonpoop View Post
I seem to have missed the reason the OP didn't override CQ's graphics settings using the tools for his video card to force whatever graphics options he wanted.
The reason is that Double Fine's graphics technology is incompatible with MSAA. When the driver forces the game to use MSAA, it causes many graphics glitches, such as things rendering inside out. The specific issue is that our tech uses deferred shading techniques and DX9, but DX9 doesn't allow you to access the pre-resolved individual samples. However, we patched in support for both FXAA and super sampling,, which hopefully addresses everyone's antialiasing needs.
DFDavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Costume Quest