Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > King's Bounty series

Old 01-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Corvus Corax

Looking for Mage "tricks of the trade"

So I'm a level 21 normal difficulty mage (120 mana) with level 3 geyser and ghost blade and level 2 fireball and poison skull as my main combat spells. I've maxed Destroyer, Concentration and Wisdom and have level one in Higher Magic and Necromancy. I haven't done much with Might (1 point each in Training, Rage Control and Combat Readiness) and Mind (1 point each in Glory, Scouting and Learning and 2 in Reserve) and currently have 26 might, 19 mind and 12 magic runes unallocated.

I'm still taking a fair number of casualties (current army comprises griffins, unicorns, elvan archers, royal snakes and snakes), but am managing to maintain about 450K gold most of the time. I've just started the land of the dead.

I've read that mages can get by with just one unit, presumably using some kind of cloaking spell (blindness?) which I haven't seen yet. Also, the sacrifice spell, which I do have, is supposed to be useful for something, but I haven't really played around with it yet. Anybody have anything specific on these issues, as I haven't really seen any details on these tactics. I'm also wondering if "attack" and "defense" benefit spells or only work for physical attacks.

Thanks for any info.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Dazzled

As a mage the trick to minimizing your casualties is to slow/blind/stun/freeze enemies and summon creatures to use as meatshields.
Dazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Corvus Corax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzled View Post
As a mage the trick to minimizing your casualties is to slow/blind/stun/freeze enemies and summon creatures to use as meatshields.
I got Blindness today and tested it out at level 3. Problem is, at 20 points a pop, I don't have enough mana to blind enemies and still go after them with attack spells. If Blindness were a universal spell, like Geyser, it'd be more useful. As it is, I can blind 2 or 3 enemy stacks, but then have to duke it out with my army. I seem to better off to just double hit them with Geyser and then use other attack spells to bolster my army in subsequent turns.
Corvus Corax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
Dazzled

Well it also depends on your army composition: if you have ranged creatures, or even better casters that can summon additional creatures themselves you can simply stay away from the melee enemies.

Which of the three games are you actually playing? If Crossworlds: try to find the Chaos Dragon spell, in most battles it's an instant win button. If Legend/AP: try finding Summon Phoenix spell.

When using blindness against lower level enemies cast it while holding down alt or shift key: that should cast the 1st or 2nd level of the spell, not the third which costs much more mana.

Last edited by Dazzled: 01-17-2012 at 04:37 AM.
Dazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Corvus Corax

I'm playing the first one, The Legend. Right now my army is heavy on meleeists. I think I'm pretty near the end of the game, as I'm at the "evil general's" castle.....but can't beat him yet. I think I have the Summon Phoenix spell amongst my scrolls, just never inscribed it. Maybe I'll try shifting to a ranged attack army to see how that plays. I have a real problem when I face enemies with large Black Dragon stacks. Been running into a few of those lately.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
Corlindale

Black Dragons are a pain for a mage, I agree.

I rely primarily on blast spells as a mage - I like to use my armies for crowd control and ranged attacks, since there's no way they can compete with warrior-type heroes on their own terms.

At the last part of the game, I decided to switch to an all-out Armageddon-strategy. I took away all my armies and bought a gajillion Sprites, keeping only a single stack of them. With Anga's Ruby I would almost always go first, and then I simply double-cast Armageddon (which works on black dragons, by the way!) - if the enemy army survives the first volley, just repeat in the second round. Use Lina's orb power to regain mana as needed, while the sprites dodge what remains of the enemy with their extreme speed.
To minimize casualties among your own units, you can take advantage of Glot's Armor and Time Back. You will probably lose some sprites each battle, though, but they are easy to replace.
Corlindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Corvus Corax

Sounds like a good strategy. However, I don't think I've heard of Anga's Ruby (is it for sale somewhere?) or Lina's orb power. I'm currently trying to hack my way through the Dragon's Labyrinth. Got nearly 700K gold atm, but my army is taking a real beating from the Haas clones. I do have Armageddon, but haven't inscribed it because of the (reduced) damage it does to friendlies. Been using Geyser, Rain of Fire and Ghost Sword most of the time, supplemented by various Rage powers. I experimented with Blind, Summon Phoenix and Demon Portal, but found none of them useful....possibly because I don't know how to properly utilize them.

EDIT: Heh, I just checked my inventory and I actually have Anga's Ruby...but not equipped atm.

EDIT: I just tried the Sprites/Armageddon tactic in the Dragon Labyrinth against one of lesser bosses, a skell named Kemilho.....and got crushed. I had a single stack of 1,983 Sprites and Anga's ruby equipped. I was able to cast level 3 Armageddon 3 times before I ran out of mana (30 intellect, Defender level 3, 132 Mana), but no victory dance. My mage is level 26.

I forgot who Lina was, since I almost never use her. She's only level 4 so her orb spell isn't much help. Another thing I've noticed is that in long battles, you stop regenerating mana after a certain number of turns. Never a problem before because battles were relatively short.

Last edited by Corvus Corax: 01-21-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
Corlindale

Your Int does seem a little low for that point in the game. I just digged up my old save, my mage is also level 26 with 45 int and 153 mana (and 3 Armageddons annihilate pretty much everything, or at least there are only the odd couple of surviving troops at the end) - though you did mention you got unlucky with drops.

Have you upgraded everything fully? I find it's really important to gete every last bit of Int when doing the blaster mage (his Attack, on the other hand, is at an impressive 3 :-)) The Demon wife is pretty handy if you've found some good staffs, I get a total of +9 Int from the two staves she wields.

EDIT: If your Int is low and your other stats are comparatively high, you might be best off with killing stuff with your creatures and using spells for buffs and crowd control, though that may be hard with your low leadership. I know Haas' labyrinth was the point where my creatures simply stopped cutting it - their stats were just no match for the enemy warrior heroes, and so I decided to leverage my magical power by switching to full blasting. But I guess you can also do it by taking advantage of your buff spells, and your unique ability to throw 2 of them a turn (Higher Magic IS your greatest advantage as a mage).

Last edited by Corlindale: 01-22-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Corlindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
hellboy909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzled View Post
Which of the three games are you actually playing? If Crossworlds: try to find the Chaos Dragon spell, in most battles it's an instant win button. If Legend/AP: try finding Summon Phoenix spell.
I have to concur. I'm playing as a fighter (?) with only about 43 mana and Summon Phoenix is my first cast right off the bat, even though it sucks up all but 3 of my mana. REALLY helpful in cutting down the casualties. Plus it's like a mobile AoE spell.
hellboy909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > King's Bounty series