Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City

Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #1
zekerage

Failed to contact key server?

So I bought Arkham City during one of the Christmas sales, and just recently installed it (just recently beat Arkham Asylum). After installing it, when I try to run it, I get the error "Failed to contact key server". That being said, I'm unable to 1.Launch the game, and 2. Register my game with which to play it because I can't get a key.

I've tried verifying the cache as well as restarting steam. Neither of those actions have yielded any results. Anyone have a solution?

Also, if this was posted or solved already, apologies, but I DID do a forum search, as well as manually skimmed the first 12 forum pages.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
MrBushido

I have the same issue as do at least two other people from the "Todays patch" sticky thread.

I've tried a number of things but with no success, I sent a ticket to customer service (help->steam support from the steam client). I'd suggest you do as well since if we're lucky they might be able to fandango us access before they greater issue is solved.

I assume something relating to the patch broke it.
MrBushido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
zekerage

How exactly did you approach the support, ie, were you asking for a Key, a refund, or what?
zekerage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 AM   #4
MrBushido

I've contacted them to provide a cd key since I doubt very much its a problem with steam, I've bought various 3rd party games through them and I've never had this problem. It's probably a case of the developers/publishers not providing Valve with enough keys in anticipation of demand and they have temporarily "sold out" so to speak.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
zekerage

So now my question is, Do you think we'll get a key as soon as they have them, regardless of submitting a ticket? I guess what I'm asking is, Do you think it will matter if I send a ticket in?
Old 01-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
RAMBO4LIFE

I have the same problem. I bought and installed the game yesterday but with the same result as you describe. I already sended a ticket in with the problem and asked them to solve it. Still no reply on it.
So for now that's a €50,- wasted on nothing.

I think it will matter if you send a ticket in. The more they receive, perhaps the quicker they will try to solve this.
RAMBO4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
MrBushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBO4LIFE View Post
I have the same problem. I bought and installed the game yesterday but with the same result as you describe. I already sended a ticket in with the problem and asked them to solve it. Still no reply on it.
So for now that's a €50,- wasted on nothing.

I think it will matter if you send a ticket in. The more they receive, perhaps the quicker they will try to solve this.
I'm sure all parties involved are working as fast as can be expected to get more keys, but just in case Rocksteady are dawdling there are 24 hours until I post about this on /r/gaming. Better hurry! There's not been a good old wine festival for a while
Old 01-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
daniu

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekerage View Post
So now my question is, Do you think we'll get a key as soon as they have them, regardless of submitting a ticket? I guess what I'm asking is, Do you think it will matter if I send a ticket in?
It should not, but I'd say it can't hurt...

This whole issue sounds very much sounds like this one from a while ago to me; there they did ask you to open a ticket.
daniu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
vadhrnt

I have the same problem.
First time installation of Arkham City.
"Failed to contact key server" error immediately after I click the "Play" button.
vadhrnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
RAMBO4LIFE

I find it strange that they keep selling a game they can't actually deliver. They knew they were running out long before I guess. Therefor a stop of game selling would be apropriate or at least a warning that cd keys will be delivered later.
RAMBO4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
zekerage

Update: I just tried, and I'm now receiving a key. Good stuff. Hope you guys are getting our keys/problems solved, as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
JoeB

Just wanted to bring up that I got this error very recently. It seems the merge with GFWL and Xbox.com has taken place and there are a new set of "Terms of Service". If you don't accept them after signing in, you'll get the "Failed to Contact Key Server" as I just did. Very weird but I figured I'd share this.
JoeB is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City