Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire

Old 01-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
completeinanity

Question Experience: What's the point?

Aside from getting 'intuition points' is there really any benefit for getting the interrogation questions right and gaining experience?

It seems the story will progress regardless of whether you choose the right or wrong answer. This makes the 'intuition points' seem a bit pointless, since you use intuition points to help get right answers ... to get more intuition points.

I love the facial animations and setting of the game, but for the most part I feel like my influence in the game is basically non-existent. Am I missing something?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
teisco

Simple game made for consoles used by 12 year olds but for some reason I am enjoying it just the same.
teisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
modar

I give this game 4 out of 5 joe friday's. 5 if it was made for pc.
modar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Chubz123

You aren't missing anything. It's just one of many half-baked concepts in this game that feels like it was thrown in at the last second without the developers even thinking about how it would affect the player in the long run.
Chubz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #5
maneaterhp

Banned
Half Baked? Your mad, this game is of higher standard than most made these days. I'm hooked from the word go, the xp feature is something small to add to the interest. The more questions you get correct the more xp you have. Simple, you unlock new suites and cars. The detail of this game is incredible, and you actually have to use your brain and read peoples faces to get correct answers.
maneaterhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 AM   #6
Chubz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneaterhp View Post
Half Baked? Your mad, this game is of higher standard than most made these days.
One could argue it's by far the shortest, weakest game Rockstar has published in years. It isn't a bad game, it just has numerous flaws and half-baked concepts and mechanics.

Quote:
The more questions you get correct the more xp you have. Simple, you unlock new suites and cars.
Oh, right, outfits and cars - cosmetic items that make absolutely no difference in the game world. The experience system is under-realized at best and meaningless at worst. A level 1 player is exactly the same as a level 20 player other than outfits and vehicles, neither of which impacts cases or the overall gameplay. That was my point to begin with. I'm not mad, I just know a tacked-on feature when I see one.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
completeinanity

I really want to enjoy this game, but am finding it difficult. The interrogation scenes generally just annoy me, because you're always forced to choose "trust, doubt, lie" about EVERYTHING people say -- even if they're not saying anything worth giving a second thought to. It's also annoying that no matter which option you choose, Cole almost always freaks out -- he's got his hardass meter turned up to 11.

At one point early on, one of the characters just gave his opinion about something, something along the lines of "If I were him I'd probably be hiding out." I figured, yeah that's reasonable, so I hit "trust" and got it wrong ... but it turns out the guy in question WAS hiding out. So I guess I was probably supposed to choose "doubt," not to doubt the actual statement, which was true, but because the guy probably knew more than he was saying. Overall, I find the interrogations counter-intuitive and the implementation obtuse.

I'm going to keep playing, hoping it picks up, but it seems like I could basically just lean on the controller for the interrogation scenes...
completeinanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
maneaterhp

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz123 View Post
One could argue it's by far the shortest, weakest game Rockstar has published in years. It isn't a bad game, it just has numerous flaws and half-baked concepts and mechanics.
Stop saying the same thing and actually present these 'numerous flaws' and 'half-baked' mechanics, with some evidence. (the game should have taught you how to do this)

Oh, right, outfits and cars - cosmetic items that make absolutely no difference in the game world. The experience system is under-realized at best and meaningless at worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubz123 View Post
A level 1 player is exactly the same as a level 20 player
Lol no, means the level 20 as paid attention to details and the other is level 1 because they obviously haven't payed attention and used the information given to tell whether someone is lying or not. The vehicles and outfits are a reward to those who payed attention. They're are detailed cosmetics from the era, also making it a nice history lesson without you knowing. The historical accuracy this game goes into is way more than any game these days. As for shortest? Nope. Max Payne 1 & 2 are both 4-6 hours. Does length even make a game worse? No. Max Payne games are amazing.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Chubz123

Quote:
Stop saying the same thing and actually present these 'numerous flaws' and 'half-baked' mechanics, with some evidence. (the game should have taught you how to do this)
- Poor performance
- Leveling system has no purpose
- Clunky cover system
- Incredibly weak gunplay
- Repetitive side missions (tail, pursue, or shoot)
- Simplified interrogations
- Little backstory (other than WW2) for every character

I would love to see the leveling system put to use with special abilities you can unlock for assisting with interrogations and even the gunplay itself. More options during interrogations (like intimidating, coaxing, etc.) would flesh it out more and make it seem more realistic. A greater variety of side missions and tasks you could perform for the department would also be welcome. And I would like to see events happening with Phelps and his family at home to make you feel more immersed playing as him. We almost never see his wife, children, or even his house for that matter. There are so many missed opportunities, it's ridiculous. The game is full of them.

Quote:
Lol no, means the level 20 as paid attention to details and the other is level 1 because they obviously haven't payed attention and used the information given to tell whether someone is lying or not. The vehicles and outfits are a reward to those who payed attention. They're are detailed cosmetics from the era, also making it a nice history lesson without you knowing. The historical accuracy this game goes into is way more than any game these days. As for shortest? Nope. Max Payne 1 & 2 are both 4-6 hours. Does length even make a game worse? No. Max Payne games are amazing.
Of course. A higher-level player answered more questions correctly. So what? If the other guy is at a lower level, how does that impact him other than outfits and vehicles? Does the gameplay change for either player? Do the cases ever change? Does the higher-level player have abilities or techniques he can utilize that the lower-level player doesn't? That's exactly my point and you're doing nothing to disprove it. The leveling system is utterly pointless. Costumes and vehicles should be unlocked by earning enough stars for cases in my opinion, and extra intuition points should come from being successful by answering questions correctly, finding all clues in an area, and so forth. What I'm really trying to say is the "leveling system" is nothing more than a front for unlocks you'll almost inevitably receive even if you completely goof up here and there. It's in place to make the game appear as if it has an RPG-like sense of character depth and leveling, but it doesn't. You don't even choose the outfits or vehicles you unlock, the game just throws them at you.

The Max Payne games were shorter because they were corridor shooters that had no open-world in which you could drive back and forth in. When I referred to Rockstar's shortest and weakest game in years, I was referring to titles like Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption. L.A. Noire is shorter and lighter on content than either of those games.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #10
maneaterhp

Banned
Oh how I love google.
Oh how I love Google.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
Chubz123

What do those links have to do with my statements and criticisms? Did you even post in the correct thread? If so, I see no point in continuing to argue with someone who can't grasp what I'm saying even after thoroughly detailing my complaints through lists and paragraphs.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
maneaterhp

Banned
Quote:
Of course. A higher-level player answered more questions correctly. So what? If the other guy is at a lower level, how does that impact him other than outfits and vehicles? Does the gameplay change for either player?
Standard Outfits

Standard outfits are included in the game.
Beat Cop Uniform - The default outfit during Patrol. Cannot be worn outside of these cases.
Golden Boy - Unlocked and automatically worn after being promoted to the Traffic desk.
Sword of Justice - Unlocked at rank 5. When promoted to the Homicide desk, Phelps automatically changes into this outfit.
Sunset Strip - Unlocked at rank 8. When promoted to the Vice desk, Phelps automatically changes into this outfit.
The Outsider - Unlocked at rank 13. When transferred to the Arson desk, Phelps automatically changes into this outfit.
Hawkshaw - Unlocked at rank 18. Increases damage resistance.
Bonus Outfits

Bonus outfits can be obtained only through pre-order bonuses and downloadable content.
The Sharpshooter - Increases accuracy with rifles and pistols.
The Broderick - Increases damage resistance and fist-fighting capabilities.
Button Man - Grants extra ammo.
Chicago Lightning - Increases accuracy with the BAR, Thompson, and Shotgun.(Can only be obtained by being a member of the Rockstar Social Club.)
Old 01-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #13
Psientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by completeinanity View Post
I really want to enjoy this game, but am finding it difficult. The interrogation scenes generally just annoy me, because you're always forced to choose "trust, doubt, lie" about EVERYTHING people say -- even if they're not saying anything worth giving a second thought to. It's also annoying that no matter which option you choose, Cole almost always freaks out -- he's got his hardass meter turned up to 11.

At one point early on, one of the characters just gave his opinion about something, something along the lines of "If I were him I'd probably be hiding out." I figured, yeah that's reasonable, so I hit "trust" and got it wrong ... but it turns out the guy in question WAS hiding out. So I guess I was probably supposed to choose "doubt," not to doubt the actual statement, which was true, but because the guy probably knew more than he was saying. Overall, I find the interrogations counter-intuitive and the implementation obtuse.

I'm going to keep playing, hoping it picks up, but it seems like I could basically just lean on the controller for the interrogation scenes...
That case you reference with the hiding out question, i agree, i think i remember that case was difficult to determine a lot of the questions first time. But now overall i find the interrogations rather enjoyable. Very satifying getting correct answers. I like how you know you can only choose Lie when you have an accompanying piece of evidence to prove it. Other than that, it's when in doubt, choose Doubt, or it's Truth if they are obviously sincere. And it will be obvious because the animations / voice work easily give it away when it's not truth.

I think the system works pretty well. Great unique game.
Psientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Chubz123

Quote:
Standard Outfits

Standard outfits are included in the game.
Beat Cop Uniform - The default outfit during Patrol. Cannot be worn outside of these cases.
Golden Boy - Unlocked and automatically worn after being promoted to the Traffic desk.
Sword of Justice - Unlocked at rank 5. When promoted to the Homicide desk, Phelps automatically changes into this outfit.
Sunset Strip - Unlocked at rank 8. When promoted to the Vice desk, Phelps automatically changes into this outfit.
The Outsider - Unlocked at rank 13. When transferred to the Arson desk, Phelps automatically changes into this outfit.
Hawkshaw - Unlocked at rank 18. Increases damage resistance.
Bonus Outfits

Bonus outfits can be obtained only through pre-order bonuses and downloadable content.
The Sharpshooter - Increases accuracy with rifles and pistols.
The Broderick - Increases damage resistance and fist-fighting capabilities.
Button Man - Grants extra ammo.
Chicago Lightning - Increases accuracy with the BAR, Thompson, and Shotgun.(Can only be obtained by being a member of the Rockstar Social Club.)
One outfit gives damage resistance, something you really never have much need for or notice. All others are DLC or bonus content, not experience or level based.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
completeinanity

So basically maneaterhp has proven that L.A. Noire is probably the only game where you can gain 20 levels and the only stat-altering difference between a level 1 character and a level 20 character is the ability to wear one outfit that grants damage resistance. If this doesn't prove that the experience system is half-baked, I don't know what would...

I know the game isn't an RPG so the issue is, why bother including an RPG staple element for absolutely no reason?
completeinanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > L.A. Noire