Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 01-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
leagion53

Lightbulb Steam Points

Many other consols, like xbox and ps3. Have points or thropies or something to mark how many achievements you get. I would love it if steam got a similar system! At the moment, you get an achievement and go oh okay... But if you had the achievement points it would compell you to play more. An advantage for steam would be people would buy more games inorder to maximise how many points they could earn.

Now im just spitballing here (thinking aloud) but i would love to see this implemented!

Last edited by leagion53: 01-17-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
flashn00b

I think Steam's version of achievement score is the percentage of people who have the achievement. (Come on, how special would you feel if you have an achievement that less than 1% of the game's user base has)
flashn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
BananaKing222

Agree
BananaKing222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Zerias

Quote:
Originally Posted by leagion53 View Post
Many other consols, like xbox and ps3. Have points or thropies or something to mark how many achievements you get. I would love it if steam got a similar system! At the moment, you get an achievement and go oh okay... But if you had the achievement points it would compell you to play more. An advantage for steam would be people would buy more games inorder to maximise how many points they could earn.

Now im just spitballing here (thinking aloud) but i would love to see this implemented!
I have two words for this.

HELL NO

One of the big selling points of Steam is that it does -NOT- copy Xbox Live or PS3 and force achievement points and gamerscores on players.

One of the big reasons Games For Windows Live is an -ABJECT FAILURE- is because it -DOES- force that unwanted crap on players.
Zerias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
leagion53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerias View Post
I have two words for this.

HELL NO

One of the big selling points of Steam is that it does -NOT- copy Xbox Live or PS3 and force achievement points and gamerscores on players.

One of the big reasons Games For Windows Live is an -ABJECT FAILURE- is because it -DOES- force that unwanted crap on players.
I think one of the reasons windows live is a failure, is that it is so hard to use! Steam is easy use and it is clear how you add money and how you spend it. Where as windows live is so confusing.

As for forcing points on players. What are you being "forced" to do? I have freinds on xbox who dont give a damn about their scores and play for fun. I have other freinds who go mad about achievements...
leagion53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
flashn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerias View Post
I thought it was due to technical reasons, such as bad connectivity.
flashn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
leagion53

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashn00b View Post
I thought it was due to technical reasons, such as bad connectivity.
Another reason why steam flourished over windows live!
leagion53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Macoux

I like the idea of points. In that way gamers can compare their scores to each others and it would be easier to see which gamers are more experienced than others (i.e. who has the most and the coolest achievements).

As it is now, you have to check out what achievements in which games the gamer has, to get an idea of how good he/she really is. If there was a number of points on each gamer's profile, people would know exactly how much experience he has.

Haters gonna hate.
Macoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Fish-E

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macoux View Post
I like the idea of points. In that way gamers can compare their scores to each others and it would be easier to see which gamers are more experienced than others (i.e. who has the most and the coolest achievements).

As it is now, you have to check out what achievements in which games the gamer has, to get an idea of how good he/she really is. If there was a number of points on each gamer's profile, people would know exactly how much experience he has.

Haters gonna hate.
Gamerscore does not show who's got more experience. It just shows who owns the most steamworks title / who's got the most time to waste / who's spent the most money on easy-achievement games etc.

A public score is a bad idea, it just leads to people saying how "pr0" and "l33t" they are. It's just irritating for the vast majority of us who don't care.
Fish-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas