Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
Valcutio

Fantastic demo! Definite preorder.

This game really wasn't on my radar till recently. Just from the demo I can tell that the combat is fun, diverse and engaging. The game runs perfectly smooth, maxed out on my 460gtx/i7 860. The voice work is well done and the story really seems like it could get very interesting.

But the world itself really steals the show. I won't list any demo spoilers but some of the scenery was amazing and even the area the demo starts in was pretty cool. Overall I'm kinda blown away. Color me impressed and consider this a definite preorder, for me anyways.

/looking forward to the 7th
Old 01-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #2
viralomega

Banned
I was interested until their fist video for this game and the demo doesnt make it any better. huge console port RPG. bleh
viralomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
Snyder

I thought the demo was ok, until near the end when I had a couple encounters with some graphical errors, but it's a demo, right? For 60 dollars, though? The voice work was indeed well done, but still for that price...idk, the entire ui could use some work, too. I'll probably pick it up during the xmas sale or something, lol.
Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #4
Toxilium

The art style was an unoriginal D&D cross between Fable and Rift, with a bit of Guild Wars thrown in. The side quests were dull, opening tutorial was painful and the interface is awful.
Toxilium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
nazgul12345678

I`ve to say i really really like this game. Of Course it`s not as deep as Skyrim, but why have a new skyrim when we have skyrim already???

So, i like the game! and its running on my laptop in full hd.
nazgul12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
Zzinged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxilium View Post
The art style was an unoriginal D&D cross between Fable and Rift, with a bit of Guild Wars thrown in. The side quests were dull, opening tutorial was painful and the interface is awful.
Quite a few people have been bagging on the interface, but none of em ever actually explain why.
Zzinged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #7
ben583

I played the demo and I like it better than Skyrim.
It runs much more smoothly for me, it's so much more colourful, and I like all the ways that you can develop your character.
It doesn't even have black bars!
Honestly, the only thing I have a problem with is the camera.
ben583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
HorrorScope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzinged View Post
Quite a few people have been bagging on the interface, but none of em ever actually explain why.
Two things that bothered me, the one that did the most was I can only ready two weapons. You have 4 class of weapons, I would have loved to be able to ready one from each and then mouse wheel between them. You can only do two, so I have to pause the game, press "I" for inventory, Click Inventory, Equip weapon. Bad design.

Two, When you put your skills on the skill bar you have to press the 1-10 button to ready the skill and then press the RMB to execute. Why not just have the proper # key ready and execute.

The other stuff inventory/crafting etc isn't optimal in any way, but it's not part of combat so it's not as big of a deal for me. Comparing is extra key strokes for another example.

There are many ways to improve the UI in this game without a doubt.
HorrorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Ankle_biter

There are many things that I don't like about this game (demo) but the worst in my opinion is the camera.

Half the time I feel like a damn horse with blinders on and staring at the floor while I move.
Ankle_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #10
Koraboros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcutio View Post
This game really wasn't on my radar till recently. Just from the demo I can tell that the combat is fun, diverse and engaging. The game runs perfectly smooth, maxed out on my 460gtx/i7 860. The voice work is well done and the story really seems like it could get very interesting.

But the world itself really steals the show. I won't list any demo spoilers but some of the scenery was amazing and even the area the demo starts in was pretty cool. Overall I'm kinda blown away. Color me impressed and consider this a definite preorder, for me anyways.

/looking forward to the 7th
The scenery? Can you elaborate what was so special about the dungeons? Practically every game has dungeons, and this one doesn't look anything special.
Koraboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Valcutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope View Post
Two things that bothered me, the one that did the most was I can only ready two weapons. You have 4 class of weapons, I would have loved to be able to ready one from each and then mouse wheel between them. You can only do two, so I have to pause the game, press "I" for inventory, Click Inventory, Equip weapon. Bad design.

Two, When you put your skills on the skill bar you have to press the 1-10 button to ready the skill and then press the RMB to execute. Why not just have the proper # key ready and execute.

The other stuff inventory/crafting etc isn't optimal in any way, but it's not part of combat so it's not as big of a deal for me. Comparing is extra key strokes for another example.

There are many ways to improve the UI in this game without a doubt.
The weapon system is supposed to be like that because you switch between 2 different weapons/styles while attacking to chain different attacks together. Also, I dont see many ppl using more than 2 different types of weapons that they have specced into.

The spell system seemed ok to me. The only issue I had was that I couldn't remap the 2 mouse buttons but we'll be able to do that at launch, according to the game's website forums.

Apparantly this demo was constructed using an old build of the game that didn't utilize a lot of the features/options that the release will have. That's according to a dev post I read on their forums. I only checked out their forums because it links to them when I click "view forum" from the store page. Hah.
Valcutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
HorrorScope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valcutio View Post
The weapon system is supposed to be like that because you switch between 2 different weapons/styles while attacking to chain different attacks together. Also, I dont see many ppl using more than 2 different types of weapons that they have specced into.
Well that is unRPG like. Why say "I can't do that?". I can easily see me moving between the 4. I like diversity like that as it keeps the game fresh. If combo's work off 2, that is fine, when I want to run that combo I'll switch between the two I intend. FWIW Skyrim I play a jack off of all, works great, keeps it fresh.
HorrorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #13
hawkin90

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazgul12345678 View Post
I`ve to say i really really like this game. Of Course it`s not as deep as Skyrim
Skyrim, deep? It's the most shallow bethesda open-world RPG so far.
hawkin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #14
TemptedNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkin90 View Post
Skyrim, deep? It's the most shallow bethesda open-world RPG so far.
It's amusing it keeps getting brought up as amazing when in reality it's just decent.

Lucky it can coast on its large vistas, you sure as hell wouldn't want to rely on its mechanics, writing or VO.

It gets away with SO MUCH because of its quantity it's hilarious.
TemptedNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #15
Valcutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope View Post
Well that is unRPG like. Why say "I can't do that?". I can easily see me moving between the 4. I like diversity like that as it keeps the game fresh. If combo's work off 2, that is fine, when I want to run that combo I'll switch between the two I intend. FWIW Skyrim I play a jack off of all, works great, keeps it fresh.
Actually, speccing into a specific weapon type/skill is VERY rpg like. When you describe using any type of weapon you want - that's more action game genre.
Valcutio is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning