Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Evochron Mercenary

Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
James009

Red face Runtime Error 506?

I'm getting a "Runtime Error 506- Could not load image at line 66299." problem when I attempt to launch the game. It worked fine last night (with maybe 1-2 crashes) but now I cannot get it to run in singleplayer or multiplayer. I'm going to redownload the game and see if that fixes it and try turning down the graphics.

Anyone know a fix? Thanks.

FOUND!
http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=6595

Background apps may be taking a majority of the RAM or anti-virus is blocking it.

EDIT: Still no solution found but I attempted to post a tech support thread but don't see the thread up yet. I suspect it needs to be approved first.

Last edited by James009: 01-18-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
SeeJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by James009 View Post
I'm getting a "Runtime Error 506- Could not load image at line 66299." problem when I attempt to launch the game. It worked fine last night (with maybe 1-2 crashes) but now I cannot get it to run in singleplayer or multiplayer. I'm going to redownload the game and see if that fixes it and try turning down the graphics.

Anyone know a fix? Thanks.
I suggest that you post it here http://www.starwraith.com/forum in the
Technical Support section.

Vice, the creator, will answer you.
/SeeJay
SeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
James009

Yeah, that was my first thought too. Unfortunately, I can't find anything related to 506 and don't have an anti-virus which should effect it (as suggested). Without luck here I may end up registering on their site and try my luck there.
James009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
SeeJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by James009 View Post
Yeah, that was my first thought too. Unfortunately, I can't find anything related to 506 and don't have an anti-virus which should effect it (as suggested). Without luck here I may end up registering on their site and try my luck there.
I'm from that forum and Vice will help you. Best support ever.

I joined here to try and help since a lot of new players have popped up
since Steam released it

/SeeJay.
SeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
James009

Just had a runtime error 500 now.

Tried low graphics, re-verify, and singleplayer too. I'm gonna try the forums too.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #6
maximus87

I got this problem while in the Shipyard. Happened twice, and was an instant crash. Shouldn't be a memory problem I have 12GB RAM. Did a verify integrity of game cache in Steam and all the files were in place. Not sure why, but hopefully if there is a fix someone will find it.
maximus87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
James009

I'm thinking it might be related to the STEAM version... maybe.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Tapewormz

It's darkbasic pro returning an error saying the image it's trying to load can't be found at line 66299. My guess is the image file got moved, deleted or renamed.
Tapewormz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
Matterz167

It doesn't matter how much total RAM your computer has. This game was written in 32bit BASIC. That means it can only access the first 2Gb of RAM. If you have other programs or a fatty OS (Vista) taking up all of the lowest memory address then this game is going to crash.

The best way to prevent this is to enable 'Large RAM Addresss' in the Evochron file header.

How to do this is actually listed at the very end of that post on the starwraith forums:

Quote:
[I]f you want to try this option, you can download CFF Explorer from the author's website here: http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php

Then follow these steps to apply the change:

1. Backup the original EvochronMercenary.exe or ArvochAlliance.exe file located in the install folder.
2. Open CFF Explorer, then open the EvochronMercenary.exe or ArvochAlliance.exe file.
3. Go to the "File Header" section (under Nt Headers) and click the "Click here" on the Characteristics row.
4. Check the "App can handle >2gb address space" box, then click OK
5. Save the altered version as EvochronMercenary.exe or ArvochAlliance.exe.
Doing this allows the game to access the first 3Gb of RAM instead of only 2Gb. This may be enough to prevent crashes. It worked for a couple of my friends.
Matterz167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Sacredragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matterz167 View Post
It doesn't matter how much total RAM your computer has. This game was written in 32bit BASIC. That means it can only access the first 2Gb of RAM. If you have other programs or a fatty OS (Vista) taking up all of the lowest memory address then this game is going to crash.

The best way to prevent this is to enable 'Large RAM Addresss' in the Evochron file header.

How to do this is actually listed at the very end of that post on the starwraith forums:

[I]f you want to try this option, you can download CFF Explorer from the author's website here: http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php

Then follow these steps to apply the change:

1. Backup the original EvochronMercenary.exe or ArvochAlliance.exe file located in the install folder.
2. Open CFF Explorer, then open the EvochronMercenary.exe or ArvochAlliance.exe file.
3. Go to the "File Header" section (under Nt Headers) and click the "Click here" on the Characteristics row.
4. Check the "App can handle >2gb address space" box, then click OK
5. Save the altered version as EvochronMercenary.exe or ArvochAlliance.exe.

Doing this allows the game to access the first 3Gb of RAM instead of only 2Gb. This may be enough to prevent crashes. It worked for a couple of my friends.

I Followed this exactly and it worked for me. Many thanks + Rep
Sacredragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Evochron Mercenary