Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033

Old 01-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
wildbill999

Exclamation NV4-MINI.sys and/or NV4-DISP screen lock up

Over the last few nights while playing Metro 2033 my LCD screen was showing signs of breakup and game lockups. But last night I had to power off as I had been Alt-Tabbing out and the whole system locked up.
The next morning while booting up my XP Pro 64 bit machine showed only a blue screen with lots of white letters.
Looks like I have a video driver/display issue from NV4-MINI.sys and/or NV4-DISP.
I have a 8800 GTX video card and a AMD chip 1.8 GHz and 12 GB RAM.
Have to leave now but will return later to see what folks think I should do to get back into my files.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 01-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
wildbill999

Post answering my own posting...

I have found out there is a fix for this as a system restore point and a DL type easier patch/fix.
This was under a WIKI entry.

Will not be able to get to that for a couple days but will update more later.

Thanks,
Bill
wildbill999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #3
wildbill999

Red face First attempt - failure...

Hi.
I did try to dl the NV4_MINI.SYS video drivers patch but could not locate in my emails the Wiki entry about that. So I had to do a general search and settled for a link under Tom's Hardware site.
This file was from a site called "driversguide" and they wanted to install a toolbar and access my system and I could not ascertain if I had the right dl from them anyways so I just dropped that effort.
After more searching I saw where bad RAM, a corrupt Registry and power supply problems can cause this BSOD issue. I had an earlier registered version of RegCure that was now out of date and after running a scan I could not scroll the page up to click the "Next" button to try to patch the registry. It is very difficult reading things and scrolling in Safe Mode. The page would not stay "UP".
Another site said to try a earlier restore point which I did. That solved nothing.
Then I just gave up.
My next plan is to get a valid site in a email and even burn it to a DVD on this other PC I have but not sure if in Safe Mode one can access the DVD drive I have.
Then I'm not sure if I should just dl my full legacy drivers from N Videa and apply those are is just the NV4's good enough???
I am not a expert at this.
Any advice please pass on.
Thanks
Bill
Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
Armenius

You're video card is probably dead, as that type of artifacting and lockup is caused by a bad video card.

And NEVER download individual components of a driver package. Always download whole driver packages from the manufacturer's website if there is ever a problem like this.
Armenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
wildbill999

Post It's in the shop...

Thanks Armenius.
I tried the quick fix but I could not see all the screen in Safe Mode so just gave up on it and now have the beast in a local PC repair shop. They charge $35.00 for an "assessment" and $65.00 an hour after that.
If they determine that card is bad I can get a NVIDEA 560 card for a reasonable amount and they can do a proper in stall.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
wildbill999

Post The card is burned up...

Hi folks - The Tech Crew took out my old card and put in a video card they use to test machines with and my PC came to Post just fine.
So, I am in the market for a used 8800 GTX and have found one for $99.00 "like new" with a 30 day warranty via Amazon. Later in the year I plan to rebuild this machine and hope this card will get me through till then.
So, beware the BSOD and using a high end card in a hot environment over a multi-year time span.

Later,
Bill
Old 02-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
Armenius

I'd be wary of the 8800GTX because it uses a lot of power and generates a lot of heat due to being a 90nm manufacturing process. I had a pair of these cards in SLI before and they idled around 65C-70C and got up to 85C under full load. This was with proper ventilation in a cool environment. Both of my cards died about 8 months ago, or about five years after starting service in my computer. In other words the 8800GTX is not going to be very reliable this late in its lifespan if it was used regularly for gaming.

I'd try to find an 8800GT or 9800GTX, both of which are on a 65nm process using less power and generating less heat. As a result their life span is longer than the 8800GTX and would be a more viable option for a used card so late in its life. For comparison, my new GTX 570 on a 40nm process uses half the power on a little less current and idles around 45C.
Armenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
wildbill999

Post Thanks for the info however...

Armenius:

I never knew that about that card but have already made the purchase. I do not know the history of the card I'll get soon maybe it wasn't use for gaming per se.

I just need about a year out of it.

Considering how long my original lasted I cannot complain.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #9
VeganFanatic

a GTX 260 is a far better card and I have seen used ones n eBay under $100 frequently.

I already have one and I can say this, Metro 2033 definitely is a brutal game even with my GTX 260
VeganFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #10
wildbill999

Smile Like new card update/Vegan thx...

First off VeganFanatic: Thanks for the card information but today I will be taking my old machine -minus the burned up 8800 GTX- and having the Lazerware Inc. folks install the newly arrived PNY 8800 GTX.
And when they say "LIKE NEW" it is very much that product from what I can tell. The card itself has no sign of wear, tear or dust on the fan blades. There is a CD with the drivers, all the cabling, the 2 DVI to Analog port convertors, a limited lifetime Warranty card, nice foam packaging. The only thing "missing" is that it's not packaged for retail sale.
So I am very happy with this whole process and have a 30 day Amazon backed return policy. (The card is from Sabre PC...)
And, at this price I can afford to have 2 and really burn things up!!
They are also going to do a Virus scan.
Will it work? Soon I'll know.

Bill
Old 03-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
VeganFanatic

better is to have upgraded the video card, that and the PSU
VeganFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
wildbill999

Smile New 8800 working fine...

Hi:

I got the machine back today and it appears stable. The tech person said it should be fine.

However I cannot get the sound to work either from the Internet, Metro 2033 or a cd. I went through all the Receiver modes, checked all the power cords, tried the various line in's on the back of the sound card and breakout box no good.

Any ideas?

Thx, Bill
Old 03-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
ComradeLenin

I don't understand why you decided to replace your 4+ year old graphics card with an identical one. Used 5770s and GTX 460s go for around $100. $100 is a rip-off for that. New 9800 GTs still show up on Tiger Direct from time to time for $50.

As for your sound issue, go to your sound settings in the control panel and set your Creative card as the default device. If it's not listed, install the drivers for it.
ComradeLenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
wildbill999

I am having to send the card back after just 5 days of various testing it's burned up. I had cycled through my key games but was not playing them since there was no sound. However I did spend around 10 minutes in Metro 2033 seeing how far I could go without sound and shot up some Russian soldiers - where you have to get off the train and advance by foot down the tracks. But then I ran into a ghost and stopped.
A few days later I thought I would try again and launched the game from within the listings in the library menu. I immediately got an error message about a need to change the screen resolution in order to continue. Then it gave me an option to play in off line mode. I selected that as I could not find a way to actually change the screen resolution.
The screen was dark.
Well it stayed dark, even in off line mode. There was no video output at all. I tested the monitor on another pc and it's fine.
It seems Metro 2033 has just destroyed my "new" video card. Is this possible the card died that easily?
Anyway I plan to send it back and I will look into the other card options. Once I get that pc back in working order I plan to immediately uninstall Metro 2033 and Dues Ex HR until I do a total upgrade.
It seems to risky to me playing those modern games on 4-5 year old tech and DX 9.0.
I have never had problems like this and have been gaming since Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces.

Watch Out!!
Bill

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Metro 2033