Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
rbr8299

Question Can We Have Two Premium TF2 Accounts to Play on and Trade Between?

Is it against the rules to play on two premium TF2 accounts, thus gaining more items for your main account? I really don't want to get VAC or account banned for doing this, which I have yet to do in fear of it, and this seems like a bit of a grey area in the rules to my knowledge which is why I'm here.

To be blunt about what I'm asking for permission to do: Can I play on an alternate account with TF2 on it and trade items from it to my main without the risk of being banned?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
broadwey

Banned
I dont see any reason why not.
broadwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
rbr8299

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwey View Post
I dont see any reason why not.
I don't either, but I would like confirmation from a moderator that this is safe to do because I've invested hundreds into my main account and I'm pushing 300 games. Losing all of this would make me rage-quit from life lol.
rbr8299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
cylon

It's fine to do it. Lots of people do it. There's people out there with dozens and dozens of accounts that they use to idle on.

From another point of view, if you had a brother and he had the game and played it and you decided to trade between accounts... its exactly the same thing.

Post this in the TF2 forum and you'll get lots of replies saying they do it and have done for years.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
rbr8299

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylon View Post
It's fine to do it. Lots of people do it. There's people out there with dozens and dozens of accounts that they use to idle on.

From another point of view, if you had a brother and he had the game and played it and you decided to trade between accounts... its exactly the same thing.

Post this in the TF2 forum and you'll get lots of replies saying they do it and have done for years.
Well I'll go ahead and make my alt account premium but I won't do any trading until a mod posts in this thread. (I believe you have to wait 30 days anyways.) I'm absolutely adamant about getting an official response about this. Just because people may get away with things doesn't necessarily mean it isn't against the rules.
rbr8299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
freakn1ck

of course. people have been doing it forever. alot of the hardcore players have a ridiculous number of accounts. if they banned all idlers there would be a massive uproar since it's so common.

since you asked for confirmation from a mod:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...48&postcount=5

Last edited by freakn1ck: 01-18-2012 at 12:08 PM.
freakn1ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
ester25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr8299 View Post
don't want to get VAC or account banned for doing this, which I have yet to do in fear of it, and this seems like a bit of a grey area in the rules to my knowledge which is why I'm here.
VAC bans for using third party tools to your advantage in a VAC-enabled multiplayer game.
It does not cover account-to-account interactions outside of a VAC enabled server.
Accounts don't get "banned". You can get account disabled for payment fraud or scamming; idling on multiple accounts does not amount to fraud.

Quote:
Well I'll go ahead and make my alt account premium but I won't do any trading until a mod posts in this thread. (I believe you have to wait 30 days anyways.) I'm absolutely adamant about getting an official response about this.
First of all mods do *not* work for Valve, so if they do post it won't be official. What is this waiting for 30 days? This only applies for Steam game trading for a new account, you can trade with a fresh premium account instantly.
ester25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
dragon95688

I own four (4) premium TF2 accounts. Valve doesn't care since I paid for them all legally. You can not get VAC banned for trading on your own accounts.
dragon95688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
Teufel9000

Quote:
Is it against the rules to play on two premium TF2 accounts, thus gaining more items for your main account? I really don't want to get VAC or account banned for doing this, which I have yet to do in fear of it, and this seems like a bit of a grey area in the rules to my knowledge which is why I'm here.

To be blunt about what I'm asking for permission to do: Can I play on an alternate account with TF2 on it and trade items from it to my main without the risk of being banned?
people have been doing this for years. ur fine. (i do it myself with my bro's account cuz he no longer plays. so i idle for him).
Teufel9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #10
MST3K

You should contact Steam support and ask them. The volunteers here have nothing to do with any level of a Steam ban.

They are just regular forums users with a couple abilities to edit the forums.
MST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:46 AM   #11
cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MST3K View Post
You should contact Steam support and ask them. The volunteers here have nothing to do with any level of a Steam ban.

They are just regular forums users with a couple abilities to edit the forums.
He doesn't need to and to be honest Support don't need the extra tickets delaying the 'hijacked account' ones. You also will NEVER be told by Valve what gets users banned as it undermines VAC.

There is no problem having two computers on the same network and sharing items between them. There are people with hundreds of accounts, there are people posting above that do it and have done for years.

Steam Trading exists for moving things between users - there is no difference between you doing it with two accounts that you own or two accounts that belong to two users in the same house. Valve have said that they aren't "fans" of idling and want to try and stop it but that they don't take action agaisnt people that do it (as long as it isnt using 3rd party tools to do it as per the Drunken F00l historic issue).

(Personally, every time I've decided to buy something from the store, i've done it on a new account, these accounts now contain about 300 crates and no items because they are traded away!)
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
Fat Cat

Banned
It's perfectly safe to own multiple accounts. as long as they are not used for nefarious purposes such as abusing steam promotions etc.
Fat Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion