Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2

Old 01-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
SilentBob251

Reboots my PC when game starts

Hello everyone. I just bought a brand new gaming computer(don't yell at me for not building one. I needed a PC urgently and had zero time to invest in building one.) This is the one I bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229299

One of the biggest reasons I bought it was to finally be able to play Shogun 2. After installing the game and starting it up I encountered a terrible problem. It get's to the first screen you see(Total War logo screen and legal stuff) and then hangs for a second and goes to back and instantly reboots my computer. I have looked around the internet and have seen others with this same problem. I have tried some of the solutions such as updating drivers and bios(even though the bios is up to date), reinstalling the game, and even opening up the computer itself to make sure nothing was screwed up. I played a few other games to see if it was some catastrophic hardware error but every game I've tried so far has worked perfectly. I understand this game is intensive and will put a computer through its paces, but I feel like my computer should easily be able to run it.

The only topics I saw about this issue were rather old. So I don't know if anyone has found out new fixes. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am really struggling to solve this problem and I want to play this game badly.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
3asytarg3t

I suspect your issue is tied to the AMD 8150, there have been threads here about this previously, some have pursued bios updates to fix it. You've indicated you updated yours, not sure what to make of that, one would assume the most recent would fix this issue. Perhaps the key is falling back to an older bios?

Here are a couple hits I got on it from google:

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...platforms.aspx

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?p=32538163
3asytarg3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
SilentBob251

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will look into the matter further.
SilentBob251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
3asytarg3t

Sure thing, hope you can figure it out, it's a game worth the effort.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
SilentBob251

Looking around it seems I wasn't going through the full process of updating my bios and going through that type of process scares me. I definitely would screw something up. Looking at CPU-Z it says my bios version is the latest bios(F7). The AMD site you linked me to says to use the older version(F6), but the information on that site is a few months old and was written before F7 was even released. I can't see them releasing a bios that would restore the old problem. So I am once again confused lol.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
3asytarg3t

From reading on this when I looked the stuff up from my first response, I got the impression this is linked to steam and that AMD bios. I suppose one possible angle of attack would be logging a steam trouble ticket and see if they have another possible suggestion on a solution other than rolling back to an older bios.

But I wouldn't entirely abandon the idea of rolling back one generation on the bios to test it out. You should be able to find information on what the differences are and make an informed decision as to whether there's much benefit in running the most recent, my guess is there's not much difference, and with the possibility of solving your conflict, it comes down to how badly do you want to run shogun 2....
Old 01-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
SilentBob251

I guess I'll put in a ticket to steam. Everything I can find on the issue says update the bios and the only newer bios for my motherboard is a beta bios that is only a couple weeks old. Maybe steam can tell me if rolling back will definitely solve the issue. Thanks a lot for the help.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Total War: SHOGUN 2