Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 02-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #361
Floydsound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burekman View Post
Exactly. This guy has been in the registry for as long as I can remember. Being in the registry doesn't guarantee a release.
Does someone have a fair explanation for the fact that FF7 is long forgotten in the registry and, even though, Baldur's Gate is getting real hope?
Floydsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #362
paratech2008

My best "guess" is that they haven't decided that the game will never come on Steam, but don't know if/when it will.

Maybe they haven't given up on getting the game, but don't know "when" it will happen.
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #363
Pheace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydsound View Post
Does someone have a fair explanation for the fact that FF7 is long forgotten in the registry and, even though, Baldur's Gate is getting real hope?

Stuff turns up months before it's released regularly (Alan wake was in the registry 2 months before release), just FF7 never appeared. Doesn't mean BG won't. Probably the release has been in the works for quite a while already but it's still in the future in the release schedule.

Just goes to show that a lot of this stuff is a lot longer in the planning than some people think it is. (especially the sales, which some seem to think can be done day to day >.>)
Pheace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #364
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Simply because, FF7 is the exception rather than the rule.

As Pheace points out, stuff turns up regularly well before release, but it is rare that they never show.

You have to remember things can turn up on the registry, much in the same way shops will list games for pre-order; they're place-holders, often at the time when a game is literally only just awarded it's catalogue number. Sometimes it just doesn't work out, it gets cancelled, etc.

For example, have a look through somewhere like Gamefaqs - pick any platform that's been around awhile, and list all their games. Note which ones never made it.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #365
Floydsound

I believe you're right about these explanations, I think I was just trying to see if someone could come up with a more trusted information about the release of Baldur's Gate, since it's fortunately not so faded out like FF7
Floydsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #366
The_End_

I can't wait.
The_End_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #367
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
I believe you're right about these explanations, I think I was just trying to see if someone could come up with a more trusted information about the release of Baldur's Gate, since it's fortunately not so faded out like FF7
I can't comment on BG, as I have no knowledge of their plans.

I can comment on FF7, knowing a couple of contacts who either work there, or used to work there.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #368
graspee

I know some people will buy BG2 on steam if it comes out now, but surely valve will have lost a lot of potential customers to both the gog sale and particularly the gg sale. You'd think they would have put some news up to counter the effect, something like maybe "We are in discussions to acquire this classic series of games, stay tuned" or something. It might have been enough to stop me buying the gg sale. Mind you, £5.08 for 6 games with expansions... I think I would still have bought it.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #369
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by graspee View Post
I know some people will buy BG2 on steam if it comes out now, but surely valve will have lost a lot of potential customers to both the gog sale and particularly the gg sale. You'd think they would have put some news up to counter the effect, something like maybe "We are in discussions to acquire this classic series of games, stay tuned" or something. It might have been enough to stop me buying the gg sale. Mind you, £5.08 for 6 games with expansions... I think I would still have bought it.
They usually cannot, as I've already stated.

Saying even the most innocuous thing (such as "we are in discussions ..." as you say) CAN prejudice whole agreements. It might seem silly to you, but it is absolutely true. So they say nothing until EVERYTHING is finalized.

I can absolutely assure you of this.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #370
anandus

Quote:
I bet that a pretty significant amount of players is willing to buy a Baldur's Gate anthology on Steam, even if they already have the games.
Well, I already have the games, that's why I'm not buying them on GoG or GG.
But I'd love to have them in my Steam library as well, because of the ease of convenience. And I wouldn't mind at all to pay again for them.
anandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #371
MC Salo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandus View Post
Well, I already have the games, that's why I'm not buying them on GoG or GG.
But I'd love to have them in my Steam library as well, because of the ease of convenience. And I wouldn't mind at all to pay again for them.
Same here.
It's not hard to find the retail CD version in most occasion shops, but I really want it on Steam and I should pay something like 2 times the GoG price for it.
MC Salo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 AM   #372
bewilderedronin

What Crunchyfrog said is true. Damn psychotic, paranoid, pedantic lawyers...

But, yeah, FF7 just got left in the dust. The annoying thing is, if Square/Enix would just stop coming up with lame excuses for why they can't remake FF7, they'd have a FF7 remake done by now and we wouldn't even have to ponder about this terrible, terrible, ugly port. I don't know how many of you have actually played it, but it's bad.

Seriously, I'm a huge FF7 fan, but it's best left on the console unless they do a remake.
bewilderedronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #373
paratech2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewilderedronin View Post
What Crunchyfrog said is true. Damn psychotic, paranoid, pedantic lawyers...

But, yeah, FF7 just got left in the dust. The annoying thing is, if Square/Enix would just stop coming up with lame excuses for why they can't remake FF7, they'd have a FF7 remake done by now and we wouldn't even have to ponder about this terrible, terrible, ugly port. I don't know how many of you have actually played it, but it's bad.

Seriously, I'm a huge FF7 fan, but it's best left on the console unless they do a remake.
Its cheap for the PSP/PS3, $9.99 IIRC.

It would look HORRIBLE on the PS3 with HDTV, but at least you can play it without having to pay through the nose on EBAY.
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #374
Darknuke

insta-buy from me... such a good game
Darknuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #375
Smith001

Banned
I'm all forward but I'm afraid it has the same destiny as FFVII...
Smith001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion