Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 01-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
NReale3370

key renewals for limited activation games

I recently purchased Anno 2070, which shows as one of the top selling games on Steam. One of the BIG caveats with this game was the 3 machine install limit. In browsing various distributors for the game I found that amazon has a very interesting policy toward activations:

Can I download and install to multiple computers?
For video games: Each game manufacturer has a different policy on how many installations are allowed with each product key. If you run out of installations for the product key you originally purchased from Amazon, please contact Customer Service and we will happily provide you with another key at no additional charge. You can install an unlimited number of times for personal use, however additional copies of the game for friends or family must be purchased separately.

Steam should definitely consider doing something like this, as their weak area compared to a lot of these competitors is service. I bought the game on amazon over for steam despite them being the same price for this exact reason, more of a guarantee that my game will work for years and years.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Demon Wraith

Steam's DRM does not have limited activations to begin with. So it's not applicable.
Demon Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
cylon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Wraith View Post
Steam's DRM does not have limited activations to begin with. So it's not applicable.
But some games purchased via Steam DO. So unless Amazon wrote and published the game he's talking about, he's saying that Amazon as the STORE will give him a new key and wants Steam (the store) to do the same.
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas