Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 01-23-2012, 06:22 PM   #1
mobilpcguru

TEOTWAWKI survival

How many are prepared for the end of the world?
Do you have a survival kit?
What is in it?
How much food?

I am prepared for a while.
Yes.
all sorts of stuff. mostly the usual medical, food, matches, etc.
perhaps a weeks worth of oatmeal.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
MADDOGGE

I keep track of people like you. I want to thank you for buying all the supplies I and my family will need to survive. Ya'll make it so easy for us.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
Levi

I'm willing to eat the rest of the people in my apartment building. That is enough survivalism for me.
Levi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Enig.

Banned
So, when are they posting the Vault listings? I got to stock up on Nuka-Cola before things go south.
Enig. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Ultima V|RUZ

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
I'm willing to eat the rest of the people in my apartment building. That is enough survivalism for me.
Why wait? I start eating people when winter is coming. I'm a bit like a squirrel, I guess.

In all seriousness, I have guns. Guns means I get supplies from people who have supplies in the case of extreme emergency and absolute chaos in an alternative universe.
Ultima V|RUZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Burack

I am trying to perfect my Hispanic accent. I'm gonna be a male prostitute if it comes to that!

"Santiago is fabulous!"
Burack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
joeylawn

TEOTWAWKI survival

This CD?
joeylawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
JupiterSWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylawn View Post
TEOTWAWKI survival

This CD?
That gave me a clue on what that meant...

The end of the world as we know it.

What is the point of making acronyms when no one else knows what the hell you're talking about?!
JupiterSWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
joeylawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterSWarrior View Post
That gave me a clue on what that meant...

The end of the world as we know it.

What is the point of making acronyms when no one else knows what the hell you're talking about?!
I agree. I had to look it up myself. That Acronym looks like it means some kind of Mayan god.
joeylawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
JupiterSWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeylawn View Post
I agree. I had to look it up myself. That Acronym looks like it means some kind of Mayan god.
Yeah, god of the Apocalypse.
JupiterSWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:45 AM   #11
TeKraken

I do a fair bit of camping/backpacking so I'm ready to disappear into the woods with the means to make food/water/shelter.

Assuming there is anything left after 'the' event.

And also assuming that everyone else on my overcrowded little island doesn't head for the same place and strip it bare like a swarm of locusts.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #12
Kitchensink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilpcguru View Post
How many are prepared for the end of the world?
Do you have a survival kit?
What is in it?
How much food?

I am prepared for a while.
Yes.
all sorts of stuff. mostly the usual medical, food, matches, etc.
perhaps a weeks worth of oatmeal.
My survival technique is to forcibly take what I want from people like you at the end of a double-barrel.

Barring that, there's a spring in my backyard. I'll just charge people supplies to water up.
Kitchensink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #13
Care_Bear

When they come, we are ready.
--------

Personally, I consider stocking up on the bare necessities (food, water, medicines, clothes, and etc.), and have a family survival plan, is necessary, and is imperative.

Even the world isn't going to end in this year, many crises are just an inch from becoming reality (global economic collapse, another great depression, extreme weather, food shortage, and etc.), and I want be prepared to minimize the impact to my family, for as much as possible.

I am not ashamed to admit that I have read some survival guides, in order to learn what kinds of food and supplies to stock up on, how to properly store them, and what to do when people will kill for a piece of bread.

As for what survival guides to read, I am not telling people to buy from one of those doomsday websites, just start your reading at ready.gov, or pay a visit to your local libraries.

Interestingly (to me at least), many survival guides that I have read, suggested that besides just having a family survival plan, a community survival plan is important as well, even if it is just a collaboration of few households.

- Great Depression Cooking

Last edited by Care_Bear: 01-24-2012 at 03:58 AM.
Care_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 AM   #14
Sjeng

I'll be sure to have invested a lot of time in Left 4 Dead, so I know how to survive
Thank heavens I don't live in the USA, where everyone is allowed to carry guns, as some posts above show.
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
bdmason

Banned
I am always working on my survival kit.

I always keep on my person or nearby a Condor EMT Ripaway pouch. This pouch contains:

First Aid Items
===============
Small collection of band aids
Tylenol, Ibuprofin, Benadryl, Lopramide (anti-diahrea)
2 packets of burn jel
neosporin
Thermometer
Tweezers
Nail clippers
Lip balm
2xQuickclot
2xSurgipads
2xnon-stick gauze pads
2xgloves
2xrolled gauze dressing
1xsurgical tubing (can also be used for slingshot)
1xsuper glue
1xduct tape rolled around an old credit card
Adventure Medical Kits - Surgical Kit (contains sterilized surgical supplies)

Survival items
==============
2x Packages of 45lb test weight steel leaders (for making snares or fishing)
30 ft of steel wire (lighter weight for snares for smaller animals)
1 pack of single edge razor blades (for field dressing game or anything where I need an absolute razor edge)
Small collection of hooks and sinkers
1x bandana
10xwater purification tablets (purifies 10 liters of water)
Packet of disinfecting wipes
1x bandana
Altoids tin w/ charcloth inside
1xAAA battery

On the outside I have strapped on:
==================================
Suunto Compass w/ Global Needle in compass pouch
ESEE Izula Knife
1 Locking Black Carabiner
50 ft paracord
200+ ft of bank line
Feroceium Rod

On my person I always have:
===========================
Leatherman Multitool
Paracord Bracelet
Casio Pathfinder watch
Lighter
1 Bandana
4Sevens (now foursevens) Preon Revo -- only current regulated AAA flashlight in the world... can go like 70 hours on the lowest setting)
1 Guyot Designs (now owned by Nalgene) Steel Water Bottle

At home I have a more complete bugout bag using the USMC ILBE Pack as the container that my Condor pouch quickly attaches to. Lots of things in that pack, including rat traps. Very high kill percentage and lighter than conibear traps.

The ESEE knife is nor my preferred knife. I have a Blind Horse Knives Bushcrafter knife at home. Would love to get the Blind Horse Knives PSK1, but that's $275.

If you want good advice check out nutnfancy or Dave Canterbury's channels on youtube.

EDIT: I forgot a couple of other things. I have a Falkniven DC3 Diamond/Ceramic Combination Sharpening Stone, 2 packets of gatorade mix, 1 oz of beef jerky, and a small single-serving packet of nuts & berry trail mix. I'm also trying to procure some 55-gallon drum black garbage bags (the industrial kind). I can only find them in huge costco-sized boxes at the local home depot and I only need like 2 of 'em. I used to keep a survival blanket in my kit, but they're really flimsly and terible to work with and you can only use them once, really. In my larger pack I keep one of the survival blankets that are backed with other material and look kind of like the windshield reflectors. I use that with my hammock to reflect heat back up to my body that I've emitted.

Back to food, In general it's useless to keep food in a survival kit. You can live up to 3 weeks without food but only 3 days without water. The reason I keep the gatorade mix is because if I end up bleeding profusely or if I'm in a desert survival situation I could lose a lot of electrolyte through either blood loss or extreme dehydration. To rehydrate I want to make an electrolyte mix with sugar. The sugarless drink mixes are nice, but in those situations I would want the sugar for quick energy. The beef jerky and the fruits and nuts are not for myself but are instead for trapping. Having nuts, beries, and a tiny bit of meat in my kit ensures I have something to bait traps both for herbivores, carnivores, and omnivores. I could put a couple of nuts & berries on a trap and have a rockchuck or some other critter come after it and get a much bigger meal than the little snacks would have given me. I can then use the entrails of that animal to attract a larger animal like a coyote.

You can make a really nasty bird trap by taking an inner strand of paracord and threading raisins or berries onto it. Keep threading them on for several feet and then tie the line to a tree. A bird will come down and start gobbling up the berries, line included. Eventually they get to the tree and try to fly off, but they have several feet of line inside their bellies and can't get anywhere. Highly, highly illegal, but in a survival situation you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited by bdmason: 01-24-2012 at 12:35 PM.
bdmason is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic