Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Winter Voices

Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
Sea Author

Inner Seas
Cool [IMPORTANT] Winter Voices is back ! Informations & projects.

What ? POLAR BEAR is evolving !
Congratulations ! Your POLAR BEAR evolves in SEA OTTER !
(wait... what ? Is it really an evolution ? *_* )

Dear players,

As you noticed, Winter Voices was removed from Steam after Beyondthepillars went bankrupt in october 2011. The company doesn't exist anymore – everything was sold by the state : computers, rights, furnitures…

After monthes of waiting and negotiations, I am glad to inform you that I bought the rights on the winter voices universe and productions (both RPG and MMO, as well as some other less relevant projects).

For those who do not know me, I am Kevin Lehenaff, the author of the game. I am the one who created the concept, wrote the story, the full game design, the texts, the dialogs, produced the game, directed the sound and graphic artists as well as the level designers; and since episode 3, did everything that is not engine or graphic/sound-related. (and even some things graphic or engine related) Even if I don't like to see it that way, Winter Voices is my little child.

I truly think that the most awesome part of the story begins at the last battle of episode 4. Things will unveil progressively – there's a ton of hidden things in this complex story ; you have still to encounter two very important characters, as important as the heroin, the father and the last boss of episode 4 – if not more important than them.

That's why I decided to « save » Winter Voices – and I will continue it to the end. Plus, this game has still a LOT of things that need to be improved, and I will try to improve it until you can play it without any frustration of any sort.

So this is the one-month-late Christmas Good News : Winter Voices is back under the « Inner Seas » flag and you will have the episode 5 and 6. The whole season should be released before third quarter of 2012.

The releases will space out a lot. We will continue to focus on quality, even if it means releasing one episode every six monthes. I hope you will forgive us for that.

Expect Episode 5 around march, with the Big Patch deployed at the same time. The Big Patch is really big, I don't remember how many pages the patchnote weight but you're not likely to read it entirely unless you're very motivated.
I will only spoil my favorite line : « Enemies now play all at the same time. »

As for the future... Let's not stop with the good news !

There will be a Season 2 (as you wouldn't have the full story without the Season 2). Season 2 should be the sequel of Season 1, with improved/bug-fixed engine, new features, new talents, etc. And the full story of course. But it will depend on the Season 1 sales and on other things. Money doesn't grow on trees as you know... Depending on the Season 1 sales, Season 2 will be a game or a book. I really hope it will be a game of course ! But if it is not possible, I will try to write it as a book to make sure you have at least the end of the story available. Everything is still in early phase, so don't expect too much right now. The story is already written, thought – it just need work and patience.

And now... If you have any questions... It's the right time !

Sincerely,
A Sea Otter,
CEO of the Inner Seas.

Last edited by Sea Author: 06-17-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
ben583

Thanks for your dedication to the game.
I'll have to spread the news around and hopefully generate some interest in it!
ben583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
grumblecakes

This is great news! I look forward to it.
grumblecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
-=Sgt. Fopper=-

That is such a great news. I'm out of my mind. Are you also thinking about to translate that game in more languages like in German? (it would be great for me!)
I'm really excited for the next months.
-=Sgt. Fopper=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Urhan

Count on me as an inmediate purchaser.

And congratulations!

I'm so happy you surpassed such difficult moment.
Urhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:55 AM   #6
Urhan

I admire the kind of creators and artists you are.

Pure gems.

Urhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #7
Finnroth

Even an announcement for season 2? That's awesome! I am very glad this project could be salvaged/rescued, and this time around, I'll buy the new episodes on day one, just in case

I am also very much looking forward to the "Big Patch", any chance you'll release the notes beforehand?
Finnroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Lambtastic627

That's fantastic news. A concept as unique an innovative as Winter Voices deserves to be finished and recognised. And as much fun as season two would be as a game, releasing it as a book would be a great idea. I for one would read the f**k out of it.
Lambtastic627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
wwwhhattt

Wonderful! If season 2 doesn't evolve into a game will we get a book version of season 1, or is each season legendary and therefore unique?
wwwhhattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #10
Sea Author

Inner Seas
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Sgt. Fopper=- View Post
Are you also thinking about to translate that game in more languages like in German? (it would be great for me!)
It is not currently planned, but I do plan some engine modifications to allow more languages - then, who knows !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnroth View Post
I am also very much looking forward to the "Big Patch", any chance you'll release the notes beforehand?
I'm thinking of organizing a closed beta.
If there is a closed beta every episode, I'll post the patchnote at the same time as the beta release ; meaning ~2 weeks before the official steam release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwhhattt View Post
Wonderful! If season 2 doesn't evolve into a game will we get a book version of season 1, or is each season legendary and therefore unique?
A season 1 book is not excluded if season 2 is a book.
If season 2 is a game, a season 1 and season 2 book is not excluded either.
Sea Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Goteki-45

Can you tell if another line of the massive patch notes includes having a working 1024x768 resolution? I have all the released Winter Voices games, including the special summer DLC, but I haven't been able to play them yet because the screen cuts off at that resolution.
Goteki-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
Sea Author

Inner Seas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goteki-45 View Post
Can you tell if another line of the massive patch notes includes having a working 1024x768 resolution?
1024x768 is supported. Only the main menu and the creation menu will be a little cut, but you still can chose all option.

When you're in game, it makes no difference.

As for lower resolution, It's not planned yet It's a very complex problem, we still have to study it. We might have a solution but it won't be cheap.
Sea Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Goteki-45

The menu/character creation is pretty important though, I can't see all choices for options in the menus. If I turn "extended ______" on, I can't turn it off again. I don't even know what is extended. The explanations and descriptions of choices during character creation are cut off.

Even if the menu was just scaled downward slightly with letterboxing to keep the aspect ratio it would be better. I'd rather squint and be able to read everything than be able to read only bits and pieces clearly.

I can understand if it's not that easy to something like scaling/letterboxing in the engine, I'm just slightly frustrated since I've wanted to play the game for quite a while now and can't tell what's going on in it even before the game is started. I've had similar problems with another game in the past (Trino) that doesn't support 1024x768 and didn't specify resolution requirements at the time I purchased the game. The difference there is that they don't even give the option to pick that resolution while in the game, but Winter Voices does -- it just doesn't work on all parts of the game.
Goteki-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
oldbushie

Welcome back! I'm one of those people who was really put off by the frustations of the slow battle system but I love the story. It's great how none of the people I've met so far feel like "just NPCs"... they all have their own backstory. I'll definitely keep an eye out in March and try playing again, because I really do want to see more. So far I'm in the first dream.
oldbushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
Nakaruru

So happy to see winter voices coming back. As a matter of fact I think I'll have myself another play through of the game so far in celebration. After the long wait for the patch and next episode another month or so hardly seems to matter. I'll be sure to pick it up the day it comes out.
Nakaruru is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Winter Voices