Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-24-2012, 06:32 AM   #1
Chraecker

2 Accounts with the same game on one PC?

Hallo,

First: sorry about my english! I share my PC with my son. Everybody has one steam-Account. Now, he buys one same game like I have (Dungeon Defenders.) - Because my Version was the first Version, he only can load my charakters. (And my Mana ;-))

Is there no chance to play the game with to different account on one PC. (Every account has by one Dungeon Defenders!)

Thanks
Chräcker
Old 01-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
eram

Volunteer Moderator
If every account owns the game then all he needs to do is load the game on his account not yours.

Your game profile for dungeon defenders will not appear on his account.
eram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
Satoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chraecker View Post
Hallo,

First: sorry about my english! I share my PC with my son. Everybody has one steam-Account. Now, he buys one same game like I have (Dungeon Defenders.) - Because my Version was the first Version, he only can load my charakters. (And my Mana ;-))

Is there no chance to play the game with to different account on one PC. (Every account has by one Dungeon Defenders!)

Thanks
Chräcker
If it's Open try disabling SteamCloud on both accounts for DD.
Satoru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Chraecker

Thanks for this quick reply! That was, what I expect, but I have look twice an test it again very slow ;-): when my son load his account and start on his account his new version of Dungeon Defenders, he gets the save Files of my account. He can not start his own new and "blank" Version, that we have bought yesterday. In the steam-Library stands his own playtime, but when we start there the game... he enters my game. Is this perhaps a bug?
Chraecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Satoru

Are we talking TrendyNet or Open?

Again if it is Open, try disabling cloud support.
Satoru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Chraecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
If it's Open try disabling SteamCloud on both accounts for DD.
Thanks for this Idea but: no, nothing changes. This seems to me OK, it would be more logic and better, when we could wish us only steamcloud-saving instead saving on PC.

Edit. sorry: open... I think ;-? - this offline-I-only-want-to-play-with-me-and-familiy-in-my-home-lan-Version...

Last edited by Chraecker: 01-24-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
kav2k

Do you use different Windows accounts?
kav2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Zero86SK

Use different Windows User accounts
so he has his and you have yours
that way saves and documents are seperated (most of them)

on his windows account he logs into his steam to play the game
Zero86SK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Chraecker

No, we take one Windosprofile, but when I am right, DungeonDefenders stores its data not in the personal Windowsfolder, the save Files are somewhere in the normal steam-Folder on c:....

Ecit: sure, I will try it. ;-)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
Chraecker

No, this did not work. I can not install steam twice. So I simply launch from the second Windows-Account the "normal" and one steam. An there of course, it starts the two Dungeons Defenders in the two steam-Accounts with the same one savingplace and the same data in the steamfolder. This seems simly a bug in the game. And so, I have buy one game for nothing. Not the hell, but its not the way, it colud be.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
ozgeek

You don't need to install Steam for each windows account. Just run Steam and login with your own account. Your son do the same in his own windows account. Because gamefiles of the games is shared, you won't have to install the game twice.

Many games on Steam expects 1 person per computer and therefore doesn't work very well with computers with multi-user accounts. Some games saves in the program files folders, others saves in the global shared folders, other saves in the steam shared folder. :/
ozgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Chraecker

Thanks... this was my result too this afternoon: it dos not work, because Dungeon Defenders seems not to use different save-Folders. It could be so simpel, if the Programmers would think a little bit more at these details. There must be more Familys in the world with shared Computers... but they do not want sold more then one game per Computer, I think.

Thanks all for the help!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #13
ozgeek

Correct. They want to sell a single copy for each PERSON and not each family. Remember Steam is just a reseller, they are like a digtal version of a brick and mortor game store, with the bonus of downloading the games from them any where in the world.
ozgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Chraecker

I think, Ozgeek, you misunderstood me, perhaps of course my bad english. I have buy TWO Games for TWO people for ONE PC. We share the PC, not the game. And steam is a wonderfull plattform for this concept. But dungeon Defenders don't use this feature.

(By the way: you will get the same Problem, when you went to an friends with a own Game and log in with your own Account at his Computer, I think.)

(Exactly we buy three copys the last day. One for me, one for my wife and one for my son. For our two PCs with three(!) steam Accounts.)

They do not want to sell for each Person, they only want to sell for each Computer one time. Thats OK, when they do not want to have my money. I am only surprice.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips