Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
erebus2075
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 49
Movement system

PLEASE let me move with asdw :/
that would make the game houndreds of times better.
erebus2075 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:10 AM   #2
erebus2075
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimescarrot View Post
I've yet to hear a suggestion for a movement system with keyboard movement that doesn't a) require three hands or b) make my head explode due to an overflow of wat.
you do realise asdw is the basic movement in EVERY fps ever made right?. and almost every mmo
it's simply just the best system to do it.

i dont think they should remove the movement already there they can keep it as a option just give me the option to say "i wanna control the movement with asdw"

Last edited by erebus2075: 01-25-2012 at 01:36 AM.
erebus2075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
Lukemax
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by erebus2075 View Post
you do realise asdw is the basic movement in EVERY fps ever made right?. and almost every mmo
it's simply just the best system to do it.

i dont think they should remove the movement already there they can keep it as a option just give me the option to say "i wanna control the movement with asdw"
FPS = W + A + S + D + Mouse 1(shoot) + Mouse 2(something)
Magicka = Q + W + E + R + A + S + D + F + Mouse 1 (action) + Mouse 2 (shoot/AoE)

How would you cast spells using WASD for movement?
Lukemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #4
Ralp
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 13
Posts: 137
The closest way you can use to move like this is using a controller, cause u move around with your left stick like with most other games. Cant say the same about casting spells though, as its all done from rotating the right stick.
Ralp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
erebus2075
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemax View Post
FPS = W + A + S + D + Mouse 1(shoot) + Mouse 2(something)
Magicka = Q + W + E + R + A + S + D + F + Mouse 1 (action) + Mouse 2 (shoot/AoE)

How would you cast spells using WASD for movement?
considering that in aion i had over 75hotkeys which needed spamming with a 0,2sec interval i think i would manage with 1 hand on my back

it's diffinately not becouse it would be hard to manage the controls, and just keep the norm as they are now as a option for people that can't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimescarrot View Post
Yeah, you might not have noticed, but Magicka is neither an FPS nor an MMO.

You've still not explained to me the exact control system that you'd use to fit all fifteen of the game's major inputs (eight elements, selfcast, areacast, cast, Magick, and picking stuff up) when you're adding an extra four for movement.
-_-
lamest argument ever but i will bite.
its not a fps etc that correct, its made in the same way as crimson land and realm of the mad gods which BOTH!! use the asdw system with GREAT success (makes the gameplay feel sooo smooth and nice, you never end up annoyed about the movement system).

the ONLY reason to not have it in the game is due to the lack of consideration of it which could be due to lack of knowledge about the game genre, and games in general

ps; i didnt explain hotkey setup since with ONLY 6 hotkeys needed this is rediculessly low for any explanation to be needed, even the lamest mmo got more hotkeys then that;
for those that NEVER used hotkeys before here; asdw for movement; q23erfvcxz - xtrl+q23erfvcxz there thats More then enough hotkeys for you and they are insanely easily reacheble.

i would just like the ability to move in a updated way which is used by any dev with some basic game knowledge :/ you could have both options for those people that either got broken hands or just enjoy clicking more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralp View Post
The closest way you can use to move like this is using a controller, cause u move around with your left stick like with most other games. Cant say the same about casting spells though, as its all done from rotating the right stick.
if they already got that then it would take like 2 seconds for them to allow me to hotkey the movement keys myself which is basicly all i am asking for.

Last edited by erebus2075: 01-25-2012 at 08:18 AM.
erebus2075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
piker
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Reputation: 8
Posts: 59
I actually think the movement system is one of the best I've experienced. And when it comes to FPS, a friend of mine used his right mouse button as movement and remapped his keyboard. Before you insult the developers, realize that what this is is your OPINION. I like the movement system more than any other game. It fits this game extremely well. Essentially, you are aiming your wizard - try aiming as precise with your keyboard as you can with your mouse.
piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
NeryK
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 10
Posts: 451
Indeed the control scheme matches the gameplay quite well. The reason it does not need WSAD movement is because unlike FPSes or twin-stick /top-down shooters (or indeed some hotkey-based games) you cannot move while you actually cast the spell. The preparation can be done on the run, but if you move then you do not need to aim.

WSAD controls would make the mouse useless most of the time, since it would only be used to aim once a spell is ready. Or it could be used to prepare spells with a wheel of elements of sorts (like the controller scheme).

I find the current system quite elegant.
NeryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
tomatos12
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 20
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by erebus2075 View Post
considering that in aion i had over 75hotkeys which needed spamming with a 0,2sec interval i think i would manage with 1 hand on my back

it's diffinately not becouse it would be hard to manage the controls, and just keep the norm as they are now as a option for people that can't



-_-
lamest argument ever but i will bite.
its not a fps etc that correct, its made in the same way as crimson land and realm of the mad gods which BOTH!! use the asdw system with GREAT success (makes the gameplay feel sooo smooth and nice, you never end up annoyed about the movement system).

the ONLY reason to not have it in the game is due to the lack of consideration of it which could be due to lack of knowledge about the game genre, and games in general

ps; i didnt explain hotkey setup since with ONLY 6 hotkeys needed this is rediculessly low for any explanation to be needed, even the lamest mmo got more hotkeys then that;
for those that NEVER used hotkeys before here; asdw for movement; q23erfvcxz - xtrl+q23erfvcxz there thats More then enough hotkeys for you and they are insanely easily reacheble.

i would just like the ability to move in a updated way which is used by any dev with some basic game knowledge :/ you could have both options for those people that either got broken hands or just enjoy clicking more.



if they already got that then it would take like 2 seconds for them to allow me to hotkey the movement keys myself which is basicly all i am asking for.

The main problem isnt the number of hotkeys. the problem is that every second of this game is spent clicking the keys into oblivion. and if you had asdw, you would have to stop moving to stretch your hand enough to click one of the elements, and that is very counter intuitive when the mouse movement system works just fine. it just seems really counter productive. sure, you could map the bottuns to wherever you wanted so you wouldnt have to really move your hand, but then thats personal preference, so most people probably wouldnt bother with it. it just seems like a giant waste of time to please a very small playerbase.

really, the only way i see asdw movement would be to with no mouse at all and just using asdw and the arrow keys (aswd moves, arrow keys looks) and basicly every spell hotkeyed.

so let the modders do it, or learn to mod

also, how exactly would you be able to move better with asdw with a broken hand?
tomatos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Grizzlol
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 5
Posts: 60
Clearly not used to this genre/control system. Even the Diablo games control like this. This is how it is supposed to be.
Grizzlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
erebus2075
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatos12 View Post
The main problem isnt the number of hotkeys. the problem is that every second of this game is spent clicking the keys into oblivion. and if you had asdw, you would have to stop moving to stretch your hand enough to click one of the elements, and that is very counter intuitive when the mouse movement system works just fine. it just seems really counter productive. sure, you could map the bottuns to wherever you wanted so you wouldnt have to really move your hand, but then thats personal preference, so most people probably wouldnt bother with it. it just seems like a giant waste of time to please a very small playerbase.

really, the only way i see asdw movement would be to with no mouse at all and just using asdw and the arrow keys (aswd moves, arrow keys looks) and basicly every spell hotkeyed.

so let the modders do it, or learn to mod

also, how exactly would you be able to move better with asdw with a broken hand?
-_- most mmo you click the 50+hotkeys JUST as much if not more soo bad argument.

basicly i don't see why you wouldnt have a system proven a million time to be better by the general opinion of the gamers (there is a reason you RARELY see a game where movement matter at all not using the asdw movement system) as a minimum it would be a option to hotkey it as such
erebus2075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
tomatos12
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Reputation: 20
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by erebus2075 View Post
-_- most mmo you click the 50+hotkeys JUST as much if not more soo bad argument.

basicly i don't see why you wouldnt have a system proven a million time to be better by the general opinion of the gamers (there is a reason you RARELY see a game where movement matter at all not using the asdw movement system) as a minimum it would be a option to hotkey it as such

your not getting it. one button in an mmo is like 5 in magicka. it takes 4 or 5 button presses to make a decent spell in magicka, as well as actually spells with unique combinations, where it only takes 1 press on an mmo. and also with an mmo, the buttons have a set cool down, so your allways gonna press the bottuns in the same order. but in magicka, spells are unpredictable. the very nature of magicka is too ridiculous to make free movement with the asdw a total nightmare. the fact is, mmo games are not built around bottun combinations, spells come at the press of a bottun, but in magicka, you have to make your own spells. its hard enough not fudging up a spell with the current system, why make it needlessly more complicated? the current system was built with the game mechanics in mind.im pretty sure it would confuze the hell out of you if they did implement asdw movement. also, mmo games get a ton of spells at end game, but most of your time playing its not that crazy. and its made easier considering all you have to do is double click and wait (action rpgs are exception, but in those cases you would have maybe 4 or 5 spells)

I (and most other people) don't see how aswd movement would benefit the game in anyway. you don't even bother backing up your argument. just stating that other games do it. thats not enough. those games dont even come close to magickas unique mechanics. magicka is on it's own level of complexity that these games dont have (as far as bottun pressing mechanics or whatever go)why do you hate the mouse mechanic so much? and even after all of this, the mouse setup right now is free movement, why do you hate it so much?

am i making myself clear?
tomatos12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
cplcarlman
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Reputation: 172
Posts: 1,137
I'm a big-time FPS player, and I don't understand how using a-s-d-f would be an improvement over the current movement system.

As the game is played now, you can move using your mouse while at the same time clicking the element keys.

If you mapped a-s-d-f for movement and remapped the element keys to the surrounding keys, you wouldn't be able to move at all while entering elements into your spell queue. Think about trying to avoid mobs while entering a spell combination.

Under the current system, the jobs of movement and spell-casting are pretty much evenly split between right-hand and left hand. Moving the movement keys to the left hand would result in your right hand having little to do and your left hand to be over-used.
cplcarlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #13
Veex.
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 40
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by erebus2075 View Post
-_- most mmo you click the 50+hotkeys JUST as much if not more soo bad argument.

basicly i don't see why you wouldnt have a system proven a million time to be better by the general opinion of the gamers (there is a reason you RARELY see a game where movement matter at all not using the asdw movement system) as a minimum it would be a option to hotkey it as such
Okay, so not only do you completely neglect the fact that isometric top-down ARPGs / hack and slash games like Darkspore, Diablo, ect have always been played with mouse movement, but also try to make MMORPG comparison?

Let me MMORGP-ify your request. It's equal to some newbie wanting everyone to use mouse+wasd only, because he hasn't learned to use hotkeys yet (and probably never will, because he spends time crying on forums instead of adapting to a scheme that has proven to be the best for the genre.)
Veex. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
CounterPillow
 
Join Date: May 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 37
Actually, I find the controls to be quite pleasing. Initially I found them weird too, but I've realized that the controls work really good.

It takes some time to get into it, but you'll enjoy it, trust me.
CounterPillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #15
Insano-Man
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Reputation: 253
Posts: 743
The only thing that bugs me about the movement/aiming system is how it handles pickups. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped an M60 for a dirk or something just because it was in the place that I wanted to move.

And while that's up in the air, the fact that clicking on a weapon or staff makes you completely unable to change course until you let go of it bugs the Hell out of me. I'd really prefer it if they just had some kind of dedicated "grab thing" key, or maybe set it so that Control is a modifier for picking things up/interacting.
Insano-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.