Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > From Dust

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
PGuybrush

DO NOT BUY

The removal of the DRM was a halfassed job which is still causing problems for some people, and it's a terrible port.

- The mouse control is entirely broken, and the game acts like your mouse is a thumbstick. It's unlike any RTS you've played on PC, and hopefully we will never see mouse support this broken in a PC RTS ever again.

- It's short. Really short. Like, 3-4 hours tops - providing you don't get stuck with any of the level-breaking bugs, which are apparently quite common.

- It has no graphics options beyond resolution changing. Not even AA or VSync.

- Ubisoft treat PC gamers with absolutely no respect, and on release their broken always-on DRM was included, despite public assurances that it would not be.

Can't even launch the game
Help with an error?
Ubisoft Game Launcher Problem
Can't find game launcher error
Service is unavailable
Ubisoft is at it again

Avoid at all costs.

(Note: This thread is a repost. A mod edited my original title, despite the fact that it did not violate any forum rules, and was not off-topic or misleading. This thread was meant to serve as a big red warning sign, not just "my personal issues with the game".)

Last edited by PGuybrush: 01-26-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Evecque

Sorry to break the news, but I, and a lot of others judging by the top sellers list, bought this game at the very reasonable price of $5. After reading all the bad press I stayed away from all previous sales and even though I was tempted, I passed on the $7.50 price at Christmas. From what I had read I expected to have to plug in my 360 controller to play properly but found out it wasn't really necessary. The mouse controls have been adequate and caused me no real issues.

All in all, I think it is a fun game and well worth what I paid. Not the best game ever, but it was never supposed to be. I enjoy the genre and plan to get a lot more enjoyment out of this game as I work through the challenge levels.

Naturally I respect the opinions of the people who dislike this game for whatever reason but wanted to make sure people who are on the fence don't get scared away from a good sale.

Game on.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
PGuybrush

You're welcome to your opinion, but it's still a very poor port with DRM still causing problems for many people (just look down the forums to see all the threads about issues), mouse control that is still pretty broken, and a campaign that's only a few hours long (if you can get through it without level-breaking bugs).
Old 01-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Mr.Ceefus

I'd say buy. It was never advertised as a giant super game, but rather a concept to play with. Its a simple fun time passer. Its not great, but its not bad either.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Kombucho

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGuybrush View Post
You're welcome to your opinion, but it's still a very poor port with DRM still causing problems for many people (just look down the forums to see all the threads about issues), mouse control that is still pretty broken, and a campaign that's only a few hours long (if you can get through it without level-breaking bugs).
lol , mouse control is fine , not long campaign is probably why the game is so cheap hmmmmmmm ??
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
PGuybrush

The mouse control is effectively using the mouse ss a joystick. It makes both the mouse and camera feel completely weird to anyone who's ever played a god sim or rts.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #7
Evecque

Quote:
The mouse control is effectively using the mouse ss a joystick. It makes both the mouse and camera feel completely weird to anyone who's ever played a god sim or rts.
You move the mouse and the line on the screen moves. What's the problem? How did this adversely affect your gameplay?

Surely a wierd feeling, as many of us have while playing many games for the first time, would go away when you got the hang of it.

I can see any PC gamer disliking some of Ubisofts practices, but would you really be happier if they just didn't bother making them play on the PC at all?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
PGuybrush

I'd be happier if they stopped treating customers like criminals. Their DRM isn't stopping the pirates, all it's doing is making their games worse for paying customers.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Evecque

Quote:
I'd be happier if they stopped treating customers like criminals. Their DRM isn't stopping the pirates, all it's doing is making their games worse for paying customers.
I agree with this statement whole heartedly. Every part of it.

But misguided though they are, I am still happy to have these games available to me without having to buy a console. From Dust is a nice little game but some of their other titles have a lot of real appeal for me and I am willing to put up with a reasonable amount of senselessness to avoid going console to play them.

You may say that I am contributing to the problem by buying their games with DRM included and you have a small point there. I think a bigger issue is how much money THEY spend to include that and then patch it out later. Mayby I am being overly optomistic on this issue, but I hope they will ultimately see the futility of their current business plan and make a change motivated by their own self interest. Other companies have seen the light. It isn't unreasonable to hope Ubisoft does, too. And if they don't, at least we aren't playing on a 360/PS3.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
PGuybrush

I'd rather not buy it, make a very public statement about why I'm not buying it, and hope others do the same. Then, when Ubisoft look at why their sales are dropping, they can see it's thanks to the terrible job they're doing on their ports, and the annoying DRM getting bundled with them.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:05 AM   #11
Lepinkäinen

Banned
Okay then

-The mouse/keyboard controls are not broken. They are weird, and may even be bad, but broken indicates that the game would not function properly with them, that the controls would not allow something to be done ect. That is not the case. And clearly people are very much able to play and enjoy the game with them.

-So From Dust is about as long as Q.U.B.E is. Or Portal. Or many other single player puzzle games of that price point.

-Graphics options are lacking in many games, mostly indie, but still of the same price point. It is unfortunate.

-Pc games have issues? Yeah sorry but that is nothing new, pretty much every pc game ever has issues, most of which can be fixed. Also I have seen nothing that indicates that these issues are common. Rage had common issues at launch, Sword of the stars 2 had common issues(maybe still has, not sure), From dust does not.

-Hate towards Ubisoft and their drm is a personal thing, no point in arguing there.

And speaking of points, all of these are completely valid complaints. But there is absolutely nothing here that even remotely warrants a "big red warning sign" to try and stop everyone that visits the forum from buying this game.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
PGuybrush

Broken, bad - either way, they're inexcusable for a PC game.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #13
gasparmx

I like it, don't know why people are like this lol.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #14
Evecque

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasparmx View Post
I like it, don't know why people are like this lol.
It seems most people do, there are however a vocal few...
Old 01-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #15
LLAndy

Just an FYI, the OP is wrong about this one.

I dunno if he's got some vendetta against Ubisoft, but this really isn't a bad game. (While their PR could use a lot of work, the hate is way overblown. This is the kind of hate I'd expect to see at Blizzard) I had no problems with mouse controls. I could think of a better use of the mouse, but it wasn't hard to get used to. It definitely wasn't unplayable or broken.

Last edited by LLAndy: 01-29-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > From Dust