Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
kyosai

Reversed audio...

So, I am extremely confused.

I use headphones, right now it's those fancy BOSE ones. Bose OE2, I think it is. Got them for $30 at Ultimate Electronics when they went out of business, figured why not. Had some $15 sony headphones prior.

Anyway. This happened with those cheap headphones as well. It seems as if when i'm in game, and only ingame the sound is reversed...

If I test it when i'm on desktop via the audio manager, it's all fine. Comes from right when I click on the right speaker, and vis versa.

Though, CS for example, someone running next to me on my left sounds like they are on the right...

BF3, a tank rolling by on my right side, sounds like it's on my left.

These headphones are former for comfort, so wearing them backwards which is what I have been doing is uncomfortable.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be???
Old 01-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
imeem

no idea but this happens to my speakers. This also happens with my other speakers and my other computer. The only way I solved it was to reverse the speakers itself.
imeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
kyosai

Yeah, I resorted to wearing headphones backwards, but it's really uncomfortable the way they are designed. Just smash my ears.
kyosai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Versteken

Banned
what is your sound device?
How are you connecting the headphones to your PC? directly into the sound card or do you have desktop speakers with a headphone jack?
If speakers, what kind are they? (5.1, 2.1?)
Have you checked to make sure that the speakers (if so equipped) are plugged into the sound card correctly?
Many have speaker setup configuration tools. Have you checked it to make sure the speakers are configured correctly?
Many sound devices can detect when you plug in headphones and change sound output settings accordingly. Some may have options to reverse the channeles. Check that both in the sound control panel and in the games.
Versteken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
kyosai

I use onboard sound dolby hd audio from my mobo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128441

Thats my mobo.

Audio - Realtek ALC889 - 8 Channels

Plugged directly into it, no speakers.

Like I said though. Audio isn't reversed on desktop. Comes from correct side, just ingame is when it sounds completely backwards, so I have to flip it.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
Bad_Motha

Banned
If you only use 2.1 speakers, or headphones, be sure to set your speaker config in Windows to "Stereo"

For 2.1 or Headphones, make sure the device is plugged into the GREEN audio jack in rear of motherboard, (aka Front Line Out) or jack labeled with a headphones icon if using a front port.

Double check the Speakers config within Playback Devices in Windows.
Check and see what (if any) enhancements are selected. Might be helpful to select Virtual Surround under enhancements. This helps you hear surround sound audio with Stereo based devices. Provided your media and/or game is using Surround Sound playback, which when comes to movies and some games, they usually support 5.1 channel playback by default.

Check your in-game options as well and ensure it's set to Stereo for when using such a device.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
kyosai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_Motha View Post
If you only use 2.1 speakers, or headphones, be sure to set your speaker config in Windows to "Stereo"

For 2.1 or Headphones, make sure the device is plugged into the GREEN audio jack in rear of motherboard, (aka Front Line Out) or jack labeled with a headphones icon if using a front port.

Double check the Speakers config within Playback Devices in Windows.
Check and see what (if any) enhancements are selected. Might be helpful to select Virtual Surround under enhancements. This helps you hear surround sound audio with Stereo based devices. Provided your media and/or game is using Surround Sound playback, which when comes to movies and some games, they usually support 5.1 channel playback by default.

Check your in-game options as well and ensure it's set to Stereo for when using such a device.
Still, nothin.

Getting clueless on what to do. Any software available that will reverse channels? I can't find any...
Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
kyosai

Anyone????
Old 02-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
imeem

it could probably be the sound card's fault. but I have no proof. Have u tried using speakers to see if it is also reverse?
imeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Paulonymous

I have the same problem with my headset, no idea what is the cause though.
Paulonymous is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips