Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X-COM series

Old 01-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #1
linksdeity

Need help capturing a commander!

Hey guys, I have an Ethereal Commander under mind control in the green escape area of my ship. I hit it with about a dozen Small Launcher Stun Bombs, but it hasn't gone unconscious!!

If I escape with it in the green escape area does it count as a capture? It's life is a little low, about 20. What else could I do to capture it, I was stupid and didn't bring any stun rods!!!!
Old 01-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Strife67

Quote:
Originally Posted by linksdeity View Post
Hey guys, I have an Ethereal Commander under mind control in the green escape area of my ship. I hit it with about a dozen Small Launcher Stun Bombs, but it hasn't gone unconscious!!

If I escape with it in the green escape area does it count as a capture? It's life is a little low, about 20. What else could I do to capture it, I was stupid and didn't bring any stun rods!!!!
From Kasey's UN-official Strategy Guide:

Quote:
Aliens under mind control then stunned does NOT count as captured. One player reported that he saw a commander but had no stun weapon, so he threw a smoke grenade and kept the commander in the smoke (with mind control) until it passed out. He was NOT captured. It appears that the computer counts mind-controlled aliens as "friendly", which they sort of are.
If you don't have any smoke grenades, use regular ones or blow/fire up the nearest flammable/explosive object you can find and make sure the alien is not under mind control before it passes out.
Strife67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 AM   #3
NKF

First thing I'd try is release it from mind control before striking it with stun bombs.

Coincidentally, are there any large patches of smoke or fire on the map by any chance? Smoke/fire shouldn't influence a direct stun bomb attack, but just to cover all bases, wait for them to clear up a bit and try again.

A last ditch alternative, if you have any weak weapons. is to save the game and release it from mind control. Then attack it and and hope that it falls unconscious instead. Listen for the lack of scream or check the body afterwards. If not, reload and try again. A very carefully spaced grenade might also do the trick.

- NKF
NKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
linksdeity

Thanks for the replies, guys! I got the Commander by releasing it and using my last couple Stun bombs!

I was able to attack Cydonia!
The ending to this game is so good, mostly because you have to EARN it!!

Last edited by linksdeity: 01-30-2012 at 06:27 PM.
linksdeity is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > X-COM series