Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alice: Madness Returns

Old 01-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Technoplume

HDMI screwed it all

Yesterday I showed my father the game on the new 40 inch TV I got. I was Using the VGA port on the tv. The game was playing fine at 1024x800 res.

This morning I got up and decided to try the HDMI port on my 560ti. Once everything was hook up I switch the main monitor to the tv and adjusted the res etc... Loaded the game. EA logo came on, whit nice sound, etc etc, until I got to the continue game menu. There was pixel snow every were! Since I put the PhyX to max to show my father, I tough it might be the problem. I got in the menu, change it to medium and press confirm and ..... BOSD.

So pc restart, I try alice this time it crash every time it's loadign. So I try an other 3d game, that one loaded but it had texture problem. some floor were no showing.

So I uninstall nvidia latest drive ( 285.xx), go in safe mode, clean driver, and use ccleaner on space and registry, reboot, reinstall driver. My 2nd game is working fine, so I load Alice. This time it's not crashing but the video is all mess up. There's snow, then alice eyes move, artifact line pop up, the background becomes white, etc. I decided to exit the game before it crash again.

Any idea what to try...

running win XP pro 32bit , on AMDx2 6000+, ASUS Crosshair 1, 4 gig ram, ASUS GTX560Ti

Last edited by Technoplume: 01-31-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: speling
Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Technoplume

Example
http://www.technoplume.ca/images/2012-01-31_00001.jpg
Technoplume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
northreign

Switching over to HDMI really shouldn't be the cause. A bad HDMI cable can cause artifacts but nothing like you've experienced.

It could be that when you did this, "switch the main monitor to the tv and adjusted the res etc..." you made a mistake which caused that to happen.

Could also be the video card has a problem or maybe power supply.

Or the video card has a driver issue.

It could just be a coincidence and that is when the problem with your PC finally showed itself.

Really though, 285 isn't the newest driver - its only the newest WHQL driver and its from October. You can try the latest beta (just released!) 295.51 and see if it was a bug in the driver that is now fixed.

You could also try reinstalling the game and move the "AliceGame" folder in documents/my games/ to just documents. And see if it happens after that. (DON'T delete!)

If your not having HDMI problems outside of the games, then it could be the resolution/hertz your using in the games is wrong.

There's most likely more it could be....

Last edited by northreign: 02-03-2012 at 01:06 PM.
northreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
Redboy

I love HDMI no what matter.

I think you need restore to default in your nividia video card and set again....
Redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
Bad_Motha

Banned
I hardly think HDMI was your issue. 285 WHQL drivers are known to have plenty of issues.

I'd uninstall those and try the newer 295 WHQL drivers. Not to mention people had PhysX related issues with certain drivers after 275.33, like the 285 WHQL ones.
Even the various 295 BETA versions were better compared to the older 285 WHQL version.
Bad_Motha is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alice: Madness Returns