Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Trek Online

Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #31
Lexinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezztroy View Post
That's actually not true. Because I was a former subscriber to the game, I have 4 unrestricted character slots to use, unlike new silver accounts which get 1 federation slot and 1 klingon slot.

Good job on the review though, an enjoyable read.
Aah, good to know. I was wondering why my guildees were complaining about having only two character slots.

I guess the smart thing to do now is to buy this $8 collector's edition from Amazon and get more character slots and uniforms.
Lexinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #32
Merovign

As of tonight, the servers have gone down for maintenance 4 of the 6 times I've played.

In the last 6 days.
Merovign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #33
Nesetalis

Merovign, try playing as soon as the servers come back up? :3
Nesetalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:46 AM   #34
Tabkey

They've been having issues with bugs, which to be honest, isn't exacting shocking, as anything can crop up when you release stuff to the public. I've greatly enjoyed STO so far, as it's effectivly taken me away from WoW! Yay for money back in my pocket!
Tabkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #35
MudSlide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabkey View Post
They've been having issues with bugs, which to be honest, isn't exacting shocking, as anything can crop up when you release stuff to the public. I've greatly enjoyed STO so far, as it's effectivly taken me away from WoW! Yay for money back in my pocket!
Tell me about it! I haven't played WoW in weeks now, which is about the same time that I have been playing STO.

The story missions in STO are just an epic win, and there are so many of them! The PvP is really fun and I have been enjoying shooter mode. I just wish they would make it more like a shooter with strafing, peeking out of corners and bonus damage for head shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexinator View Post

As a side note, Amazon currently has the collector's edition of the game for just $8. It will give you 3 extra character slots, 2 new sets of uniforms, an in game item, and a free month of gold service - including 400 cryptic points. If you were to purchase all those things separately, it would cost you about $30. So not a bad deal....
Actually according to Cryptic Store prices right now, the total to get everything provided by the collector's edition would be around $60, and not $30. You also get the Borg bridge officer for both the Klingon and Federation side! Making this a great deal. I bought it on Wednesday, got it today and already input my code, unlocking all the bonus features. I am loving my Borg officer!

I also seem to have more character race choices than I did before, so I couldn't be happier with the purchase.
MudSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #36
MudSlide

Quote:

As a side note, Amazon currently has the collector's edition of the game for just $8. It will give you 3 extra character slots, 2 new sets of uniforms, an in game item, and a free month of gold service - including 400 cryptic points. If you were to purchase all those things separately, it would cost you about $30. So not a bad deal....
I submitted a ticket and asked a GM to tell me everything I received by updating to the collector's edition. There are also very important unlocks that this gives to ALL of your characters. I highlighted those like I did with this sentence.

This is what you get and their prices should you by them separately.

+ 1 month of gold status - $15
+ Borg bridge officer for Federation characters - 400 Cryptic points.
+ Borg bridge officer for Klingon characters - 400 Cryptic points.
+ 3 character slots - 850 Cryptic points for 4 slots. You get 3, so lets say a total of 635 Cryptic points.

+ More duty officer slots for every character on your account - 580 Cryptic points PER character. This alone can save you thousands of Cryptic points in the long run! Very super epic deal. If you plan on playing with the DOFF's this ALONE makes it worth the purchase. Every character you EVER create will have more DOFF slots to start out with, and those are very expensive to buy.

+ Energy Credit increase for every character on your account - 400 Cryptic points per character. Look at the rant above about the DOFF system. This has the potential to save you thousands of Cryptic points in the long run.

+ Extra inventory slots for every character on your account - 320 Cryptic points per character. Same as above. Can save you thousands of Cryptic points as all of your characters start out with extra inventory slots.

+ More Bridge Officer slots for every character on your account - 200 Cryptic points per character. Once again can save you a lot of points in the long run.

+ More bank space for every character on your account - 240 Cryptic points. Saves you lots of points on multiple characters!

+ Next Generation uniforms - 400 Cryptic points.
+ DS9 uniforms - 400 Cryptic points.
+ Klingon race - 400 Cryptic points.
+ Joined Trill race - 400 Cryptic points.
+ Red Matter Capacitor - Not sold in the Cryptic store. It is a great item that repairs all your damaged sytems and gives you more power. The cooldown is only 5 minutes. So every 5 minutes you have a free oh shoot button. Very nice item which I still use at level 41.

So as you can see the box is simply a phenomenal buy. The GM also told me that this deal will be available until all STO codes are used up. So as long as they are available for sale, the codes will unlock all these bonus features!

Amazon already increased the price of the box from $8 to $9.99. Still, even at this price it is well worth it. If you were to calculate everything out, it would cost you well over the $60 that I estimated earlier, even more if you plan on having more than one character.

Simply put this is an awesome deal and should not be passed up! For $10 (current Amazon price) you can get potentially hundreds of dollars worth of extra content. If you like the game so far, invest in this deal right now! I said now!

Last edited by MudSlide: 02-06-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #37
sloop1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlide View Post
I submitted a ticket and asked a GM to tell me everything I received by updating to the collector's edition. There are also very important unlocks that this gives to ALL of your characters. I highlighted those like I did with this sentence.

This is what you get and their prices should you by them separately.

+ 1 month of gold status - $15
+ Borg bridge officer for Federation characters - 400 Cryptic points.
+ Borg bridge officer for Klingon characters - 400 Cryptic points.
+ 3 character slots - 850 Cryptic points for 4 slots. You get 3, so lets say a total of 635 Cryptic points.

+ More duty officer slots for every character on your account - 580 Cryptic points PER character. This alone can save you thousands of Cryptic points in the long run! Very super epic deal. If you plan on playing with the DOFF's this ALONE makes it worth the purchase. Every character you EVER create will have more DOFF slots to start out with, and those are very expensive to buy.

+ Energy Credit increase for every character on your account - 400 Cryptic points per character. Look at the rant above about the DOFF system. This has the potential to save you thousands of Cryptic points in the long run.

+ Extra inventory slots for every character on your account - 320 Cryptic points per character. Same as above. Can save you thousands of Cryptic points as all of your characters start out with extra inventory slots.

+ More Bridge Officer slots for every character on your account - 200 Cryptic points per character. Once again can save you a lot of points in the long run.

+ More bank space for every character on your account - 240 Cryptic points. Saves you lots of points on multiple characters!

+ Next Generation uniforms - 400 Cryptic points.
+ DS9 uniforms - 400 Cryptic points.
+ Klingon race - 400 Cryptic points.
+ Joined Trill race - 400 Cryptic points.
+ Red Matter Capacitor - Not sold in the Cryptic store. It is a great item that repairs all your damaged sytems and gives you more power. The cooldown is only 5 minutes. So every 5 minutes you have a free oh shoot button. Very nice item which I still use at level 41.

So as you can see the box is simply a phenomenal buy. The GM also told me that this deal will be available until all STO codes are used up. So as long as they are available for sale, the codes will unlock all these bonus features!

Amazon already increased the price of the box from $8 to $9.99. Still, even at this price it is well worth it. If you were to calculate everything out, it would cost you well over the $60 that I estimated earlier, even more if you plan on having more than one character.

Simply put this is an awesome deal and should not be passed up! For $10 (current Amazon price) you can get potentially hundreds of dollars worth of extra content. If you like the game so far, invest in this deal right now! I said now!
Does this all get added to an already existing F2P account? And will the extra slots for Bridge Officers and what not get added to my existing character?
sloop1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #38
Dilbert

Quote:
Lexinator, reporting for duty!
As a side note, Amazon currently has the collector's edition of the game for just $8. It will give you 3 extra character slots, 2 new sets of uniforms, an in game item, and a free month of gold service - including 400 cryptic points. If you were to purchase all those things separately, it would cost you about $30. So not a bad deal.... Although if you can live without the extra uniforms, a fairly decent in game item (Red Matter Capacitor, which repairs your ship systems), and with only two character slots, I would not bother with this offer.
As a side note, can you apply this retroactively? So I already created a F2P character... Can I get that from Amazon and get those items added after the fact?
Dilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #39
MudSlide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
As a side note, can you apply this retroactively? So I already created a F2P character... Can I get that from Amazon and get those items added after the fact?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloop1138 View Post
Does this all get added to an already existing F2P account? And will the extra slots for Bridge Officers and what not get added to my existing character?
That is a yes people. I applied the code today and already had a level 41 Science officer. I did not really want to start over. Everything got added to them. But I did have to claim the officer, and suit, and red matter capacitor through the cryptic store. Under the Legacy Unlocks option. Everything else was applied automatically.

My already created Klingon character had to do the same by using the Legacy Unlocks option under the Cryptic store.

The extra playable races just appeared for me in the character creation screen after I applied the code to my account through their web site. All the extra slots and spaces did as well.

Guys, one last thing. Make sure you get the collector's version Lexinator linked. If you buy this cheaper version - http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Onli...8559458&sr=8-2 you won't get anything but the free month of gold membership and character upgrades. So no Borg officer, no outfits, no extra races, and no in game items other than a tribble. My friend thought he could save some money and bought the regular version. For just $4 more I got a lot more stuff than he did.

So don't buy the regular version, get the collector's one.

Edit - this is the one to get (below). Sorry, I don't know how to do proper links on this forum.

Quote:

As a side note, Amazon currently has the collector's edition of the game for just $8. It will give you 3 extra character slots, 2 new sets of uniforms, an in game item, and a free month of gold service - including 400 cryptic points.

Last edited by MudSlide: 02-06-2012 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #40
sloop1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudSlide View Post
That is a yes people. I applied the code today and already had a level 41 Science officer. I did not really want to start over. Everything got added to them. But I did have to claim the officer, and suit, and red matter capacitor through the cryptic store. Under the Legacy Unlocks option. Everything else was applied automatically.

My already created Klingon character had to do the same by using the Legacy Unlocks option under the Cryptic store.

The extra playable races just appeared for me in the character creation screen after I applied the code to my account through their web site. All the extra slots and spaces did as well.

Guys, one last thing. Make sure you get the collector's version Lexinator linked. If you buy this cheaper version - http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Onli...8559458&sr=8-2 you won't get anything but the free month of gold membership and character upgrades. So no Borg officer, no outfits, no extra races, and no in game items other than a tribble. My friend thought he could save some money and bought the regular version. For just $4 more I got a lot more stuff than he did.

So don't buy the regular version, get the collector's one.

Edit - this is the one to get (below). Sorry, I don't know how to do proper links on this forum.
Very awesome. Looks like I'll be ordering it when I get home. I kinda regret not playing this before, it's a suprisingly excellent game!
sloop1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #41
batkinson001

Quote:
I am wondering about this too, I just bought one off ebay.
batkinson001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #42
Dilbert

Is there any way to get a digital version of it? Just get the access code without the box and whatnot? Digital distribution or anything like that?
Old 02-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #43
Freyar

Quote:
Is there any way to get a digital version of it? Just get the access code without the box and whatnot? Digital distribution or anything like that?
I wouldn't expect to find any reputable place still selling digital copies. Direct2Drive (Now Gamefly) no longer has it, and I can't find it in a number of other places either.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #44
MudSlide

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkinson001 View Post
I am wondering about this too, I just bought one off ebay.
I already answered your question, and yes it is retroactive.

Quote:
You can do what a few guild members of mine did. They contacted a few ebay sellers and asked them if they would be willing to send them the codes as soon as they paid for the item. They also made it clear that they did not want the actual game, just the code. There were a lot of takers. So far I have four guild members that did this.

This way they waste no money shipping you the product and you get your code in a few hours. Still, I don't feel bad. I am a student and have free prime shipping. I ordered the thing from Amazon on Friday and got it on Monday. Worked out great since I have no classes on Monday.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:48 PM   #45
Dilbert

You or your guild members have any recommended ebay stores where they did that? Better for me not to get a package, better to just get the code.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Trek Online