Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Earth Defense Force

Old 02-01-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
Maverik770

How active is the multiplayer community? I'm worried it's dead, I hope I'm wrong...

I've been excited for this game to come to PC for a while now and I was so happy when it finally released last month. I finally have the money to buy it this Friday and I cannot wait. I love Starship Troopers and the premise of this game plus the reviews I read about the 360 version were very solid. However, I know how the majority of us PC gamers are when it comes to console ports: They usually don't fare well. Which has me concerned about the health of the multiplayer community in this game.

Obviously this type of game is designed to be played online with other people. Single player is fine I'm sure but I'm also sure the real fun is in multiplayer. But us PC gamers tend to lift our noses to console ports and as a result most console ports have terribly weak online communities on the PC...

So how is the communtiy for this game? Are there tons of people playing? How hard is it to find a game? None of my Steam friends currently own this game. So I'm gonna be completely relying on the game's tools to find people and matches. I'm really worried that I'm going to have difficulty finding people and games from what I've been reading. And that sux because I have been REALLY looking forward to this game on PC for a while now. I really hope my worries are wrong and illfounded.

Last edited by Maverik770: 02-01-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
Jablolko

I too am curious about this one. Ever since I saw the promo video on steam back in December I wanted to get this game so much...I did find out that the game has several flaws though, some I am still pondering if I should buy it or not. Current promo doesn't help much.

But enough of my rambling - there is one bigger EDF:IA group on steam, a bit less then 300 members. There's also this topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2465427. Hope this helps in any way.
Happy bug hunting.

...Damnit, I'll probably just buy it tomorrow. Might regret it, but damn, I want this game.

edit:
If I got it correctly, there is also no actual lobby for MP games, which kinda sucks in a game so obviously MP oriented. :\

Last edited by Jablolko: 02-02-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Jablolko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Maverik770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jablolko View Post
I too am curious about this one. Ever since I saw the promo video on steam back in December I wanted to get this game so much...I did find out that the game has several flaws though, some I am still pondering if I should buy it or not. Current promo doesn't help much.

But enough of my rambling - there is one bigger EDF:IA group on steam, a bit less then 300 members. There's also this topic: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2465427. Hope this helps in any way.
Happy bug hunting.

...Damnit, I'll probably just buy it tomorrow. Might regret it, but damn, I want this game.

edit:
If I got it correctly, there is also no actual lobby for MP games, which kinda sucks in a game so obviously MP oriented. :\
Thanks for the information and input. I have read most of those same things as well which is where my concerns are stemming from too. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and buying it tomorrow on payday as well... Haven't fully made up my mind yet tho. If you do buy it, please let me know what your thoughts on it are and how hard finding multiplayer matches is. I will be sure to do the same as well if I end up buying it this weekend.
Maverik770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Elwinbu

there really is no actual lobby which is sad, but you can use the forums and the steam group to add friends to play with, which is what I did.

as of right now I have about 19 friends that play EDF, and I can usually find people to play with. feel free to add me too if you want(steam name is same, Elwinbu).

another problem that new ppl have, though, is that they can't play online missions they haven't done yet in campaign.

after finishing the campaign, which shouldn't take too long, problem is solved.
Elwinbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
Jablolko

Smile

So I bought the game yesterday. Took it a while to download because my internet is not one of the speediest, so I just played first 3 missions before sleep took me over...ok I lie, I had to force myself to stop. The game is just so much fun to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwinbu View Post
...another problem that new ppl have, though, is that they can't play online missions they haven't done yet in campaign.

after finishing the campaign, which shouldn't take too long, problem is solved.
Did not try online yet, but seeing this it saves me some trouble finding any matches - I'll just finish campaign first then, thanks.

My steam name is megatron_is_amused if anyone wants to add me...just wait till I finish campaign.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
thebriarfox

Fox here. I'm grabbing it. This title (on 360) helped me survive Christmas/New Years with the extended family and pregnant wife. The gameplay is simple and straightforward and FUN and I'm not too worried about multiplayer hurdles. I mean I played Terraria MP, so....

thebriarfox

Add me
thebriarfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
Jablolko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik770 View Post
Thanks for the information and input. I have read most of those same things as well which is where my concerns are stemming from too. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and buying it tomorrow on payday as well... Haven't fully made up my mind yet tho. If you do buy it, please let me know what your thoughts on it are and how hard finding multiplayer matches is. I will be sure to do the same as well if I end up buying it this weekend.
Ok after putting some hours in this game - it's fun, yes. Sure, nothing really groundbreaking, but offers solid action, explosions and lots of bug killing. If you like this, you cannot go wrong with buying it because EDF:IA does not have any real, gamebreaking problems, at least in my humble opinion. If you are looking for something more...well, it's just not this kind of game. It's meant to entertain and that's it.

As for multiplayer - tried some quick matches, but searched only for "normal" difficulty settings. Did find some, but cannot say how many games really are there because of already mentioned lack of lobby. I think you best play it with friends, as I also did.

Add me if you wish.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
thesidman666

I just bought the game. I am on the second mission but cant seem to find any players. I am always up for coop so add me on steam: The Sid Man
thesidman666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
K E V 1 N

The game's multplayer was pretty much dead on arrival.
K E V 1 N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
MagicAccent

Find or create a steam group for it. That what I always do for games with small communities.
MagicAccent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
shokwawe

[QUOTE=Elwinbu;28950564]...
as of right now I have about 19 friends that play EDF, and I can usually find people to play with. feel free to add me too if you want(steam name is same, Elwinbu).
QUOTE]

added for coop!
(HRD)

see u soon

shokwawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:32 AM   #12
shokwawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesidman666 View Post
I just bought the game. I am on the second mission but cant seem to find any players. I am always up for coop so add me on steam: The Sid Man
added!

(HRD)

shokwawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #13
hongkongdude

there will be great if there more dlc, about new levels or campaigns
hongkongdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Earth Defense Force