Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
Racarooni

Play Games WITHOUT Steam!

Here's a good suggestion; how about being able to play shop bought games without Steam.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the purpose of Steam along with some of it's revolutionary advantages.

1. For instance, being able to download games from a server at a discount price, eliminating the need to go out to a shop and buy a game or wait for an Internet ordered game to be delivered.

2. Or being able to play the latest games if you don't own a decent PC.

Yes, I'm all for the above and thus I am not anti-Steam and I am not hoping this thread will lead to the removal of Steam or anything of that sort.

However, what I would like to see in the future is the option to play 'Shop bought games' (i.e. games we have the discs for and have purchased legally the old fashioned way) without Steam!

I recently bought a new PC costing around £2500, mainly for video composting and animation. My PC is more than capable of running the latest games full spec and thus I bought my new PC with gaming in mind. Now, to find out that every time I want to play Skyrim I have to wait or rather 'queue' before I can play my game, which is steamed and which I have paid full price for in a shop I think is ridiculous!

Really, do you understand the PC gaming market at all?

Yes, Steam is great for online gaming and for the casual gamer, but for hardcore gamers who have been playing RPGs and strategy games for years will surely emphasise with me on this (and they do!)

Now, I'm sure there will be someone who will reply to this telling me that 'well, if you read the back of your Skyrim case it will tell you that the game REQUIRES STEAM'.

Yes, this is very true and I accept that point. However, what I find rather odd is that all my old PC games that I bought (in a shop (hence I have the actual disks)) BEFORE Steam even existed also NOW require Steam. In fact, when I tried to install them from disk Steam jumps in and forces me to download it instead and then forces me to queue for over an hour before I can play it.

Someone please tell me what is the sense in that?

What I will be doing in the future is uninstalling Steam so that I can play my old games without this hassle.

Steam, well done, you have finally taken over the PC game market in an attempt to emulate online console gaming by allowing users to view each others achievements (woop de dooo!)

You have also stolen from me the right to use my games in the way they were intended; by installing and running them from disk. I have paid full price for my games and now I am forced to stream them instead!

All Steam has really achieved is eliminating the purposes of games that exist on a CD or DVD. So good honest people who have gone down to their local GAME SHOP to buy their games are effectively wasting their money because they may as well buy them for you instead.

One final point to make.

Apparently, one purpose and and advantage of Steam is that it eliminates Piracy.

Sorry, but what a load of rubbish!

By forcing gamers into downloading their games you move everything online, this leaves the game market WIDE OPEN TO PIRACY! Really, there are so many holes in this 'anti-piracy' argument it is simply laughable!

So to recap:

Steam, please allow us who have shop bought games to be able to actually use what we have paid for in the way it was intended - that is all I ask.

If not however, it will be goodbye from me.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Ghostbreed

Banned
Just don't buy games on Steam
Old 02-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Racarooni

Please read my post before replying.

The point I am making is that I have bought my games in a shop, but Steam is required to play them.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
cr7camiao

You're not buying games, you're buying subscriptions in order to play games.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Derp-Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racarooni View Post
Now, to find out that every time I want to play Skyrim I have to wait or rather 'queue' before I can play my game, which is steamed and which I have paid full price for in a shop I think is ridiculous!
What the hell are you talking about?
What queue are you talking about?

Download/Install, hit play.
Its not that hard
Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
DarkShard25

The developer wanted them to be Steamworks. Also, explain what you mean by 'queue'.
The games are client side, this isn't OnLive. If you are talking about the
'Preparing to launch...' pop-up, that takes under a minute. Rarely does it take any longer.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Racarooni

Yes today I had to wait 15 minutes for tyhr game to launch.

My point is this:

I have paid the shop price for Skyrim as I actually bought it in a shop.

I own the actual DVD. So why can't I install it and run it from the DVD?

Why must I be forced to download it from Steam when I have the actual DVD in my PC?

Maybe I'm showing my age, but I don't understandf why we need Steam to launch a single player game!

Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Racarooni

Plus, if I would have bought it on Steam it would be cheaper.

So, I have been ripped off as I have paid more money for simply a license to play the game because I cannot run the game or even install the game from the DVD.

Therefore Steam makes CDs and DVDs irrelevant = NOT GOOD for gamers like me that have bought the games as CDs and DVDs!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
geekofalltrades

^ Ask Bethesda. They're the ones who made it a Steamworks game.

Their answer will be along the lines of: It acts as DRM, and gives them access to Steam's automatic updating and patching and Steam Cloud saves, as well as numerous other features that you, as a "hardcore gamer," should appreciate.

P.S.: If you're having to "queue" for "an hour" before playing your games, then there's something wrong with your Steam installation, your network, or your setup.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
ASecondOpinion

Quote:
An update for Skyrim was pushed out last night. Are you sure this 15 minutes of waiting wasn't this patch being downloaded?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Racarooni

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Looking at this thread it looks like I'm the only one who isn't getting on with Steam, and yes I will certainly be having words with Bethesda about this.

But threads on other sites outline the countless others who are as frustrated as me.

Steam was originally designed as an online platform, and implementing DMR or rather TOTAL CONTROL OF DMR I think is a bad move and awful for us that own actual physical versions of games.

Steam may think it is in control of DMR but this is turning many people to piracy as it is the only way round Steam if you own a legal CD or DVD version of a game!
Old 02-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
DarkShard25

Quote:
That's not Steam's problem. You're having network issues or some other client side issue.

Quote:
So why can't I install it and run it from the DVD?
If you are wanting to launch games straight from the DVD, why bother installing them?
Plus, the game would run a lot smoother of the hard-drive instead.

Quote:
Why must I be forced to download it from Steam when I have the actual DVD in my PC?
Because Bethesda decided to make Skyrim a Steamworks game.
Steamworks requires the Steam client to run a game. Take it up with
Bethesda if that is such a problem.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
Racarooni

Let's put this another way:

Imagine you bought a new DVD film from your local DVD Store.

You get home, sit down, open the case and put the DVD in the DVD player.

But, when you press play nothing happens!

Instead you get a mesage telling you you have to download Steam and then download your film before you can watch it.

Would that frustrate you?
Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
ASecondOpinion

May I just add that my housemate bought Skyrim on disc and, to my knowledge, installed it from the disc...

Sure, there were downloads afterwards (After all, the game has had patches since it's initial release) but the base game was installed off the disc. If this didn't work for you, you've cleared mis-followed an instruction.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
geekofalltrades

It might frustrate me for a second, then I would read the update notes, where it says "the latest updated version of this movie that is currently downloading features a brand new full-frontal lesbian sex scene between actresses Zoey Deschanel and Natalie Portman."

Then I would cease being annoyed.

The Steam parallel is "hang on, allow us to patch this game for you, because the unpatched version will face your computer."
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas