Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist

Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
TaurusBully

Backing Up Your REP Using a Batch file

IF YOU CANT TIE YOUR OWN SHOES - DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS

EDIT:
*Make sure game is NOT Running, Root Down and copy your 24240 folder to Desktop* NOTE: I didn't do this, But if your worried about losing something, its better to be safe than sorry

Create a folder called "Payday Backup " Notice the CAPS" and "Space" where you want the backup to go, In my case i used E:\Payday Backup

Copy this text below IN RED, then paste it into a text doc on your desktop.

@echo off
:: variables
set drive=E:\Payday Backup
set backupcmd=xcopy /E /I /Y /D
echo ### Backing up Payday The Heist Stats and profiles...
%backupcmd% "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\XXXXXXXX\24240" "%drive%\%folder%"
echo Backup Complete!
@pause

If this path "BELOW" is different than the default location that i show here for WIN7 64, make those changes accordingly [HINT] Copy and paste the path between the quotation " marks " as shown Below.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\XXXXXXXX\24240"

Notice: the XXXXXXXX, this is your unique Steam ID, make sure that the proper numbers are in the string.

once it's edited to reflect your game and backup path locations, save it and rename it to "Payday Backup.bat".

All that you do now is once you exit the game, just hit the .bat file on your desktop and it will backup the game to the folder that you specified, such as E:\Payday Backup.

This will ease the pain from rooting down, and copying the save files over and over, this hopefully will help if the cloud fails and you lose your REP, At a later date, once i get some more info, i will post the steps that you need to follow in order to use the saved files. EDIT: See Rabid Dog's Post Below

Once its renamed to a .bat you can test it, it should populate your backup folder with all the files that are under DIR 24240,If you test it more than once it will show ZERO files copied on the second try, this happens because it will not copy a file unless it has been changed.

EDIT:
Optional - Move the .bat file to your backup location, then create a shortcut on the desktop for it, doing this will allow you to customize the icon with a picture of your choice, I went with the star just for the sake of being lazy.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/...aydayIcons.jpg
*After Verifying that the save is working Delete the copy of your 24240 folder on desktop*

EDIT:
If your worried about messing this up, Please PM me, with your Email, the backup path that you created (E:\Payday Backup), along with the path to the 24240 folder and i can set the file up and send it to you in a Email..... Not a Problem

Last edited by TaurusBully: 04-22-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
HellsKnightmare

This surely deserves a sticky. With almost losing my stats because of an "Offline mode" glitch, the only thing that saved me was having backups. And even then, it was an aged file.
HellsKnightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
OVERKILL_Linus

OVERKILL Software
Great work!
OVERKILL_Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
OVERKILL_crew

OVERKILL Software
Great post! + rep for you!
OVERKILL_crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Feromonas

That actually corrupted my save file and now i can't get back to lvl. 145 :/

Is there a way to fix it?

My statistics (as proof): http://steamcommunity.com/id/feromon...AYDAY:TheHeist
Feromonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
eXodL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feromonas View Post
That actually corrupted my save file and now i can't get back to lvl. 145 :/

Is there a way to fix it?

My statistics (as proof): http://steamcommunity.com/id/feromon...AYDAY:TheHeist
By corrupted, you mean the backup (copy), or the original save? If it's about the backup, which you try to restore, don't paste the remotecache.vdf file (if you do that it will see the save as corrupted), only the remote folder needs to be restored.
eXodL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Fuse_tm2

Brilliant post! Off to try this right now. I'd hate to lose 145 to computer gremlins, what with those new masks coming soon™.
Fuse_tm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
Tamboks

Just so I understand correctly, all this does is create a copy of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\XXXXXXXX\24240, right?

This could be done in a matter of seconds with a few clicks, but perhaps this is aimed at those who don't know how to copy and paste on computers

I was hoping you were going to explain step by step on how to:
Back up Payday progress
Reset progress
Complete a new Payday Challenge
Restore progress
Go back to using Steam Cloud, with new Challenge completed

I think that would be a lot more useful, but perhaps it's not possible? Brief instructions have been posted before, but they have been somewhat vague and it looked like you weren't able to use Steam Cloud afterwards, but it wasn't clear.

Anyway Taurus, it's obvious your copy/paste batch file script has helped others, even if it is a bit... overkill, so well done
Tamboks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
Bear809

Banned
Needs steam cloud support.
Bear809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
TaurusBully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamboks View Post
Just so I understand correctly, all this does is create a copy of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\XXXXXXXX\24240, right?

Creates a copy of the 24240 folder only

This could be done in a matter of seconds with a few clicks, but perhaps this is aimed at those who don't know how to copy and paste on computers

As i said on the first post, it just saves you that few steps

Back up Payday progress
Reset progress
Restore progress

I think that would be a lot more useful, but perhaps it's not possible? Brief instructions have been posted before, but they have been somewhat vague and it looked like you weren't able to use Steam Cloud afterwards, but it wasn't clear.

I have never lost, or have had to restore my progress, So i would be the last one, that anyone would want to ask for help on that issue.

Anyway Taurus, it's obvious your copy/paste batch file script has helped others, even if it is a bit... overkill, so well done
Not sure about the overkill part, the only thing that were doing here is creating a ICON on your desktop that you pick to back up your REP

Bottom line is this, you exit the game, pick the save icon, hit enter....Done, the 24240 folder and all the progress that you just earned is now backed up
http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/...aydayIcons.jpg

Last edited by TaurusBully: 02-02-2012 at 04:44 PM.
TaurusBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
Rabid Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamboks View Post
Back up Payday progress
Reset progress
Restore progress
1. Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\XXXXXXXX\242402

2. Copy the entire folder, then paste wherever you will easily find it. (this will be your back up)

3. Right-Click the game, select properties, find the option "use steam cloud with this game", uncheck it.

4. In game, simply clear your progress.

5. When you wish to return to your previous level, delete the new 242402 file that was created when you reset.

6. Copy/Paste the old 242402 file you backed up, back in.

7. Start the game, and you will be back at your old level.

8. If desired, you can reenable Steam cloud for the game now.

As far as I know it isnt possible to keep any new challenge progress after you restore your old save file. You do that on a different save file, and they do not "merge". Achievements, yes you keep all of the achievements you earned during the reset after you restore your old save. Perhaps thats what you meant.

Last edited by Rabid Dog: 02-03-2012 at 01:24 AM.
Rabid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #12
TaurusBully

thanks Rabid Dog
Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #13
POOTDISPENSER

I don't get it. Aren't stats saved on Steam Cloud so we don't have to back them up?
POOTDISPENSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
TaurusBully

I reset today to help a couple buds and myself to get Noob Herder, then I used Rabid Dog's "step by step" restore post to get back to 145,and it works like a charm, had me a bit worried at first, because in the stats page it showed me at REP 9,after i moved my 24240 folder back but in game i was a 145, it all worked itself out once i joined a game and played for a bit

Last edited by TaurusBully: 02-03-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #15
Tamboks

Nice one Rabid Dog

I suspected it wasn't possible to "merge" both sets of progress and to use Steam Cloud with all challenges completed, but not that it's a big deal really. I know achievements stick, so that's not an issue

Taurus, by "this is a bit overkill", I meant that creating a batch file for backing up your progress just once is a bit much, but if you want to do a backup after every game, then yes, a batch file for this is a good idea, so ignore my previous comment

Now I need to find me some noobs to herd up
Tamboks is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist