Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Critical Mass

Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
WryNail

Black Screen for me!

Hello! I've bought this game, but I can't run it.
After the launch, I see a black screen, and I have to reboot the pc.

I have a Radeon 6770, 4Gb Ram and an Athlon X2.
Last driver, of course.
What can I do?
Thank you so much!
Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
SniperWoolf

Im suffering from the same problem, lol
SniperWoolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
ManicGames

Manic Game Studios
Hi,

This is a new bug we have not encountered before.

I have a few things I would like you to try:

1. Update your graphics card drivers from the manufacturers website.

2. Uninstall & Reinstall the Game, it is possible for files to become corrupted.

3. Open Start menu, click Run or Search and then enter regedit.exe, Run the application and then Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/manic delete the Critical Mass folder.

4. If you are using a multi monitor setup please disable Nvidia surround/ATI Eyefinity.

If the issue still persists please send us your console.log file which can be located in Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/CriticalMass/console.log

This will help us to diagnose the issue further. We appreciate your patience and we will do our best to help you resolve the issue.
ManicGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
WryNail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicGames View Post
Hi,

This is a new bug we have not encountered before.

I have a few things I would like you to try:

1. Update your graphics card drivers from the manufacturers website.

2. Uninstall & Reinstall the Game, it is possible for files to become corrupted.

3. Open Start menu, click Run or Search and then enter regedit.exe, Run the application and then Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/manic delete the Critical Mass folder.

4. If you are using a multi monitor setup please disable Nvidia surround/ATI Eyefinity.

If the issue still persists please send us your console.log file which can be located in Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/CriticalMass/console.log

This will help us to diagnose the issue further. We appreciate your patience and we will do our best to help you resolve the issue.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the game...No modify to the registry (the Critical mass folder wasn't there). Now the game works!

P.s. Don't know if can helps, I've set my Firewall (Comodo) in game mode.

Thank you so much, great game!
WryNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
WryNail

Bah...The Black screen is random...Sometimes Yes, sometimes no.
Don't know why. Doesen't matter that the registry is clean or not, and after the black screen (and pc-reboot) the console.log is clean.
Here you are a log when the game starts without problem (if can Help): http://www.mediafire.com/?hfklyvap6zr47da
WryNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
ManicGames

Manic Game Studios
Sorry to hear you are still having the issue. We really need a console.log that is generated after the black screen error. The console.log file is overwritten each time you run the game. Next time you get a black screen send us the log file that was generated. Please email it to manicgamestudios@gmail.com and we will do our best to help you resolve the issue.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
stay4life

getting windows run time error have to end task back at desktop. It worked first time I but after that it stopped working tried reinstalling and still didn't work seen another post about this elsewhere too.

crashes at login it seems

Last edited by stay4life: 02-10-2012 at 12:43 PM.
stay4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #8
ManicGames

Manic Game Studios
Please email me your console.log file
Old 03-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Cunin

I have the same problem as WryNail and the log is (probably) not so useful because the whole system just hangs. I know that because stuff such as caps lock led doesn't respond, the hdd activity led stops flashing (even though I have some stuff running in the background) and I timeout on IRC. The only option is to hard-reset the system as nothing else works.

For instance, here's the only log I get in console.log:
Code:
Version 1.0.858.0

Creating window

Resolution 1024x768
My system:
Athlon x2 5200+
Radeon HD 6850 - Catalyst 12.1 (tested with latest drivers and it's the same)
Windows 7 x64

I will test your solutions at another time as I don't want to hang the system right now.
Cunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
ManicGames

Manic Game Studios
Hi,

We have never had someone report a complete system crash before. If you could email us your console log we will do our best to help you resolve the issue.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Cunin

The system doesn't crash, it just hangs, and the log is all there. Do I still need to send you that?
Old 03-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
Cunin

EDIT:
The OpenGL solution is useful for certain games but probably not this one. I'll leave it there anyway, as it doesn't hurt to apply it.

The black-screen issue is probably related to Comodo Internet Security. Although I never had such problem before, it happened again with another game (a small SDL game). I think it's because Comodo opens a Defense+ popup but you cannot see it and click on allow (probably the one about keyboard access).
That is weird because in the vast majority of games you can just alt-tab out of the game screen and click on it. It's also weird because WryNail said he was running it in Game Mode, but I never used that option so I don't know how well it works.

Anyway, what you can do is to open Comodo, click on Defense+ tab, click on Computer Security Policy, under Defense+ Rules tab click on Add, then Select>Browse and browse for the game executable and open it. Select Use a Predefined Policy and there select Trusted Application, then press Apply and Ok.

Your game should now run fine.

--------
Ok I may have found a solution. So far the game worked 2/2 times.

There is a problem with some OpenGL applications/games with AMD/ATI drivers, probably only on Win7 but I'm not sure, which tries to load the opengl dll from a strange place, maybe because of a wrongly set registry entry. You can see if you have this problem by trying to run FurMark, it will fail to launch.

The fix is easy to do, and you should do it everytime you reinstall/update drivers.

Method 1 - do it manually
Click start>run, type cmd and press enter, then paste each of the following lines in the console window that has appeared then press enter (you need to use the menu to paste text on the console, right click on it):
Code:
COPY %windir%\syswow64\atioglxx.dll %windir%\syswow64\.DLL
COPY %windir%\syswow64\atioglxx.dll %windir%\system32\.DLL

Method 2 - do it automatically
Download the file from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?q5z5s2csusi1ldt
It's a batch file which does the above automatically, you just need to save it somewhere and then double-click on it like it was a normal program (you can check its content by right-clicking and selecting Modify if you don't trust me).

Please let me know if that fixed your problem WryNail.

P.S.
forgot to say that is for Win7 x64, if you have the 32 bit version let me know.

Last edited by Cunin: 03-27-2012 at 10:06 AM. Reason: new solution
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #13
ManicGames

Manic Game Studios
Thanks for contributing this. If other players could let us know if this helps that would be great.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
Cunin

Ok I've had the same problem with another small SDL game. Not sure if you also use SDL for your game, but the problem was exactly the same, therefore I now think it's not either your game's fault nor the drivers, but Comodo Internet Security. I've posted a new solution above that fixed my problem with that game.

My guess is that it does not always happen, and the problem is that the Defense+ module of Comodo opens a popup which for some reason cannot be seen and clicked on Allow, while the application just opened its own screen, blocking its execution and the whole system. It's possible that the system wasn't really hanging but keyboard was blocked waiting for you to click on that popup.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #15
Lord_Arschbacke

I'm having the Black Screen Problem too, (Using OSX Lion) bought it a few minutes ago.
Lord_Arschbacke is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Critical Mass