Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeons of Dredmor

Old 02-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Jankanpo

Tips for "Double Rainbow" achievement?

Did anyone get this achievement legitimately? I like to achievement hunt on games that I own, and I can't figure out how to get this achievement at all

I tried with the archaeology tree to get more chances to get more element types, but even by the end of the game I didn't have enough damage types to unlock the achievement.

Also is the sewer brew achievement really an achievement where you have to drink with the developers..??
Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
Troacctid

Yeah, I got it legit.

Archaeology is the key. Use Ancient Kronian Ritual and This Translation Is All Wrong! a bunch. Also, it helps to dual-wield; you'll need to make use of all the equipment slots you can.

Some damage types are available through buff potions:
  • Aethereal: Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster (Syzygy)
  • Hyperborean: Hyperborean Potion
  • Righteous: Potion of Radiance
  • Necromantic: Potion of Dire Empowerment/Fell Truffle
  • Conflagratory: Infernal Potion
  • Voltaic: Voltaic Potion
  • Putrefying: Fell Truffle
  • Piercing: Big Game Hunter, Maces, or Swords passive boosts/Diggle God of Digging

So save those up and try to focus on the other types when you're re-rolling your artifacts.

Last edited by Troacctid: 02-06-2012 at 04:08 AM.
Troacctid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Tyraa Rane

I got it legit as well. Mostly it was through lucky item drops and Krong blessings...then I figured out which damage types I was missing and started gathering up the relevant potions.

The Archaeology tree definitely helped too. There's some damage types that always seem harder to find (asphyxiation and transmutative for me); I re-rolled the heck out of "Translation is All Wrong" until I managed to get those particular types.
Tyraa Rane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
ElusiveByte

Artifact weapons, tomes, and orbs will help. They get a certain number of enchantments from Krong based on their "artifact level". The Universal Principles tome has an artifact level of 8, for instance, so it gets 8 enchantments from Krong. Additionally, artifact items don't slowly lose their enchantments if you use "This Translation Is All Wrong!" on them repeatedly like normal items do. (At least this is my experience from limited testing.) So if you're patient you can re-roll them limitlessly until you get a good mix of damage types. It doesn't matter if it's two tomes, two weapons, or what. As long as you kick or slash at an enemy with all the elemental damage types at once you get the achievement. You don't need the dual wielding to use two weapons, you just get a penalty.

Potions could definitely help, as well at the Viking Magic buffs that give you Voltaic and Conflagatory. Other skills give you flat amounts of damage, like Killer Vegan which gives you Righteous damage at level 4. If you're specifically going for this achievement with a new playthrough, then I'd get as many extra damage types from skills as possible, then hope for the best with anvils and evil chests. Archeology is a must, obviously.

Or you could just cheat like I did, by accident. I was farting around with a mod to make you start with a weapon that does 99 of all damage types. I wanted to see how far I could get in the dungeon playing with it and the self-imposed rule that I had to go down every staircase I saw without clearing any floors. This resulted in me being very under-leveled and dying to a Fire Eel on level 9. On the first attack I got the achievement. Whoops!
ElusiveByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
deadlybydesign

I got it the other day and had no idea what it was. If you're adding up the cumulative +dmg from magic skill trees like Pyromancy or Psionics, it makes it easier. Throw that on top of rings, amulets and weapon effects, and you're bound to get it eventually.

/edit/failedtoread/
I only achieved "Taste the Rainbow," not the one you're asking about.

Last edited by deadlybydesign: 03-10-2012 at 11:34 AM.
deadlybydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
RotiKering

I got all damage type (or so I think) and still not getting Double Rainbow achievement. Do we need to do a melee damage or ranged for this?
RotiKering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
niraj

Not 100% sure. I got it with a melee attack though. Even though it says one base damage type and all special types, I don't think I got it to unlock until I was damaging with all 16 types. My advice would be to go back to the first floor and hit something there if you do have all 16, as it's possible that monster on the lower floors are just resisting one of the damage types. I had better luck with the first floor monsters not negating any of the damage types.
niraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #8
psychowulf

This one has become fairly easy with smart application of encrustments onto a nice weapon and other equipment. I currently have a setup let lets me do all the base types of damage and all the special damage types which pretty much one shots everything I hit. The damage scrolls are somewhere between ridiculous and insanely funny. I've personally named the setup "Over the rainbows" since pretty much any hit would re-qualify for both rainbow achievements.
psychowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
CookieEpic

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychowulf View Post
This one has become fairly easy with smart application of encrustments onto a nice weapon and other equipment. I currently have a setup let lets me do all the base types of damage and all the special damage types which pretty much one shots everything I hit. The damage scrolls are somewhere between ridiculous and insanely funny. I've personally named the setup "Over the rainbows" since pretty much any hit would re-qualify for both rainbow achievements.
Over rainbow, man, OVER RAINBOW!
CookieEpic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dungeons of Dredmor