Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Cyrez44

Banned
Terrorism Through Time! Bomb Explosions in CS

Here's a video showing the bomb explosions in 1.6, CS:Source & CS:GO.

Click Here

Notice how in 1.6, the bomb targets actually gib.

In Source, the bomb targets don't gib but set on fire. Loose props also go flying everywhere.

In CS:GO Beta, the bomb targets don't gib or set on fire. Instead, we have a black smoke cloud.

I'm curious as to what the community prefers.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
broadwey

Banned
I like CS:GO's one. It's very dramatic. Im sure we'll see fire and gibbing soon aswell, it probably just hasn't been added in yet.
broadwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
otaku45

I like the little touches on different maps, like when you bomb nuke the nuclear warning alarms go off. Which is particularly satisfying given that Nuke is a difficult map for T's.
otaku45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
madara

Banned
I like the one in CS:GO the most ^_^ Your videos look rather interesting I'll watch them
madara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Machine1983

Source, its much more fun looking. The GO just looks weak and doesn't have that feeling of satisfaction of blowing up.
Machine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Doni

Man I wish CS:GO explosions could make use of cinematic physics.
Doni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
L33T KR3W

Banned
In my opinion the explosion should be as big as the shockwave because it sucks in CS1.6 when you go around a corner and even though there is no sign of an explosion you still die and it's like "WTF?" So in CS:GO the explosion should be just as big as the force that it has. And it would look awesome if the entire map was destroyed. Like in de_dust2 if the explosion took off half of the palace. And you're in the palace when the bomb goes off and you look up and the roof falls on you. lol
L33T KR3W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
_ACID_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doni View Post
Man I wish CS:GO explosions could make use of cinematic physics.
"Cinematic physics" are regular animations, so that's totally possible but just not implemented into the current bombsites.

I'd like a very basey, loud explosion sound with shockwaves shooting out of the bombsites exits, stone splinters flying about, wooden crates being blasted to particles and metal crates being deformed and melted. With scorch marks and the explosion as an orange dynamic light source.
_ACID_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:17 AM   #9
Doni

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ACID_ View Post
"Cinematic physics" are regular animations, so that's totally possible but just not implemented into the current bombsites.

I'd like a very basey, loud explosion sound with shockwaves shooting out of the bombsites exits, stone splinters flying about, wooden crates being blasted to particles and metal crates being deformed and melted. With scorch marks and the explosion as an orange dynamic light source.
I know how they're done. The problem is everything destructible would have to be a dynamic prop, or a collection of said prop type, and in my experience, props tend to be less reliably solid than regular brushes (if that makes sense). Things like collision or material type, etc. Basically small things the pros would fuss about.

Then again, I'm basing this on EP2 props with cinematic physics. I think TF2 uses them too, but I hardly play TF2.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 AM   #10
Xerotype X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrez44 View Post
Here's a video showing the bomb explosions in 1.6, CS:Source & CS:GO.

Click Here

Notice how in 1.6, the bomb targets actually gib.

In Source, the bomb targets don't gib but set on fire. Loose props also go flying everywhere.

In CS:GO Beta, the bomb targets don't gib or set on fire. Instead, we have a black smoke cloud.

I'm curious as to what the community prefers.

This is all set by the map maker in all versions of Counter Strike. Which props will gib, where fire will spawn, etc.
The props flying is part of Source's physics. I believe most of the props in Global Offensive are static so they do not get into the way of the player (again set by the map maker).

Implementing into the map props/brushes that gib and creating fire only takes a couple of minutes. We also have to take note the amount of resources that physics and dynamic props use. Is it worth having an extremely detailed explosion that only lasts for a few seconds at the end of a round?

Animations for props specific to the c4 explosion would be nice though.

Last edited by Xerotype X: 02-07-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Xerotype X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 AM   #11
Cyrez44

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerotype X View Post
This is all set by the map maker in all versions of Counter Strike. Which props will gib, where fire will spawn, etc.
Yeah, I know. The video demonstrates a whole bunch of possible effects (eg. gibbing, flames, shockwave etc.) but not all of the official maps use them.

I've seen some brilliant custom maps in CS:S that make excellent use of all these effects which is why I think Valve/HPE needs to think about this a bit more, especially since the official maps are supposed to be of a high quality.

I think most people will agree that the bomb target should actually gib and be destroyed rather than remaining unscathed.
Cyrez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
Cyrez44

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerotype X View Post
We also have to take note the amount of resources that physics and dynamic props use.
TF2's end-round pipeline explosions are written in Maya and are very efficient. Much like the 'cinematic physics' of L4D (such as when you destroy the petrol station in No Mercy).

The devs could implement this into CS:GO if they wanted but I don't see it happening.

If you watch this mass physics stress test vid you can see that mass amounts of small props do cause problems whereas larger props that gib (such as wooden crates) don't cause an FPS slowdown.

Since the bomb targets are usually only a few crates, this seems perfectly viable.
Cyrez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
suicidecrowbar

Yeah, they could just use cinematic physics like in hl2:ep2 when the train rail collapses in the beginning.
suicidecrowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
makemap

I see GO has a bigger explosion. If they make another CS they should just leave it with GO version. I don't want to see a nuke explosion in game.
makemap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:31 AM   #15
Doni

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemap View Post
I see GO has a bigger explosion. If they make another CS they should just leave it with GO version. I don't want to see a nuke explosion in game.
Not even in de_nuke!?

Lol sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go back to my hole now.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive