Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
CanyonOasis

Massassi Temple + Steam Workshop = Doable?

Hey guys,
I don't know if you have noticed this new feature of Steam, Steam Workshop http://steamcommunity.com/workshop

It directly integrates mods into the steam launcher.

I've personally played every mod and level there is on Massassi Temple. And there is so much gold there, so many mods, total conversions, level packs etc that are too good to just disappear into obscurity.

I want to start the conversation necessary to bring those mods to Steam Workshop. To discuss the technical details, guage interest etc.

I personally would love Steam to be my new Patch Commander.

I'm sure there are others too.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
TestType

I would think Steam workshop only works for games that have support for it written directly in the game code. Steam itself does not download or integrate mods for you, rather the game launcher/.exe itself checks the Steam server if you have subscribed to any mods and then downloads and installs them.

I really don't think we'll be seeing Steam workshop support for any old titles.
TestType is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Royal Fool

Never going to happen, no sense in even discussing it. The source code is gone forever.
Royal Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
CanyonOasis

Ok I know how improbable it is, but it is very doable, and it's not necessary to have access to the source code.

With a little help from Valve I can see a very simple way of implementing it. To run a mod in Steam it is as simple as having the correct files and the correct command line arguments.

If Steam could hold the files on their servers, and automatically add the associated command line arguments when a mod is selected, the game with said mod could be launched from Steam.

Same would be true for many other games, it's just a matter of files and command line arguments.

It is probably the same for many other games with modding capabilities.
CanyonOasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
krefft

Whatever we have to do to make this a reality, let's do it. I am willing to donate towards making this happen, who do we talk to?
krefft is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II