Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare 3

Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
hashbong420

Problems aiming with a 360 controller (Mouse sensitivity)

Okay, before I ask my question I want to make one thing clear. My post is about a problem regarding the controls for Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 (Windows). Do NOT recommend me to buy a console or buy Battlefield 3 instead, I see this in every thread about problems concerning MW3. It does not answer the question, if you read the following post and don't know the answer, kindly forward this thread to someone who might know it or just ignore it and carry on with your day.

I'm aware that MW3 does not read an Xbox 360 Controller, so I'm using Xpadder to map the controls. Ive played Black Ops on PS3 and I've had no problem with aim or movement. Since the aim in MW3 on PC is designed for a mouse, it has given me a number of problems using the right joystick on my controller. I have tampered with the mouse sensitivity on Xpadder, now here is the problem. When I increase the mouse sensitivity, its too hard to aim, when I decrease it, it takes too long to turn around and I just end up getting killed. I tried making up & down steady and left & right sensitive but that messes up the aiming ever more. I'm assuming nothing can be done because MW3's PC version was never designed to be played using a controller, but if there is a way I'd really like to know. If you know about Xpadder, you'll probably know that the mouse sensitivity is measured in numbers (the default is 32), if this problem can't be fixed kindly just recommend a number that will balance it, or at least imitate the exact aiming system that I had for Black Ops on the PS3. I know its not an easy question, thats why I'm posting this here.

Also don't leave any responses like "Why use a controller? Mouse is better"... If I liked aiming with the mouse better I wouldnt go through the trouble of buying a 360 controller, mapping it with Xpadder and posting this thread.

Cheers.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
deagledog69

Banned
try turning mouse smoothing on off. oh nd buy a console coz you will be face by mouse and keyboard
deagledog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
FourTwenny

Quote:
I have tampered with the mouse sensitivity on Xpadder, now here is the problem. When I increase the mouse sensitivity, its too hard to aim, when I decrease it, it takes too long to turn around and I just end up getting killed.
You will never get past that problem without aim assist. That's why you see console players strafing left and right all the time when aiming. You also see them basicaly flick the analog to get their crosshairs close, because the hitbox for the autoaim snap is like 5 times as large as the actual hitboxes. They get their aim lock and fire.

You don't have that snap on while playing on pc. You have to be able to make slight movement accurately, while still being able to do a 180 turn. I can not see this ever being a possibility without some aim assist.

If it were me, i would try messing with the mouse acceleration. Open this file, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\call of duty modern warfare 3\players2\config_mp.cfg and alter this value in it, cl_mouseAccel

I have mine set to "0" but i think you are going to have to try different values. Do it in small steps. Maybe it will work. Still don't think you will lik ethe end result without the aim assist.
FourTwenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
JunIz

PCs don't have aim assist, that's your problem. Go buy yourself a 360 so you can feel cool, or buy the game for your PS3.

Also, you're at a disadvantage on PC; If you think you're going to be competitive with a controller versus mouse users, you're dead wrong.
JunIz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
D0T-C0M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunIz View Post
PCs don't have aim assist, that's your problem. Go buy yourself a 360 so you can feel cool, or buy the game for your PS3.

Also, you're at a disadvantage on PC; If you think you're going to be competitive with a controller versus mouse users, you're dead wrong.
Even though this is not what you want to hear, its the truth. You'll never be able to play on a level playing field with a player using a mouse. You'll have to either bite the bullet and use a mouse or get the game for the console and play on par with the other players. Failing that, you can always try enabling "enhance pointer precision" which increases the mouse speed the faster you move the mouse and decreases it when you move the mouse slowly not sure if that will help you any. Goodluck

Last edited by D0T-C0M: 02-08-2012 at 09:59 AM.
D0T-C0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
hashbong420

aw man! the thing is I have a ps3 that I share with my brother at home, but nowadays Im at uni and all I have is my laptop... i guess I'll have to either practise till im an aiming god or get used to the slow movement, thanks anyways guys
hashbong420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
hashbong420

Quote:

I wasnt looking for an advantage against mouse users, Im just more used to controllers
hashbong420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
glock.out

I believe X padder has an adjustable sensitivity curve. so you can look slow when the stick is pushed 1/2 way and fast when pushed all the way. try to find that and mess with it.
glock.out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
D0T-C0M

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbong420 View Post
I wasnt looking for an advantage against mouse users, Im just more used to controllers
I've got 3 console friends that I have got them using the PC version of the game AND using kb/mice and now they say they can't go back to using a controller. Honestly if you gave it a month you'll find the mouse is very easy to get used to but I do recommend a gaming mouse that is DPI adjustable on the fly.
D0T-C0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
JunIz

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M View Post
I've got 3 console friends that I have got them using the PC version of the game AND using kb/mice and now they say they can't go back to using a controller. Honestly if you gave it a month you'll find the mouse is very easy to get used to but I do recommend a gaming mouse that is DPI adjustable on the fly.
Same thing here, about 6 console friends that all gave up the controller when they started PC gaming.

I actually challenged one because he said they could beat me at CoD 4 with a controller.. After 32 deaths and 0 kills he gave up.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #11
kuena

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbong420 View Post
aw man! the thing is I have a ps3 that I share with my brother at home, but nowadays Im at uni and all I have is my laptop... i guess I'll have to either practise till im an aiming god or get used to the slow movement, thanks anyways guys
cod is not very demanding when it comes to aiming so if you give a keyboard+mouse combo a whirl you'll catch on really quickly.
kuena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
thotaz

Quote:
Same thing here, about 6 console friends that all gave up the controller when they started PC gaming.

I actually challenged one because he said they could beat me at CoD 4 with a controller.. After 32 deaths and 0 kills he gave up.
Well to be fair cod4 doesn't support controllers without stuff like xpadder so it won't feel the same as when they play on console.
thotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #13
JunIz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thotaz View Post
Well to be fair cod4 doesn't support controllers without stuff like xpadder so it won't feel the same as when they play on console.
Yes, the PC version doesn't have aim assists etc; Arguably they would have a harder time playing, but it's a smack in the face as to how much "skill" they actually have.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #14
thetenfold

You may want to mess with the settings for the joystick like DeadZone and Diagonal Size.

What I use is:
DeadZone - 15%
Diagonal Size - 89

Try adjusting the diagonal size down gradually from 89 when you play. It may feel better. Then again, I don't have a console but those setting are what I like (I don't play COD with a controller but I sometimes play racing games on pc with one).
thetenfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #15
thotaz

Quote:
Yes, the PC version doesn't have aim assists etc; Arguably they would have a harder time playing, but it's a smack in the face as to how much "skill" they actually have.
That's not what I am saying, if they are used to a certain sensitivity on consoles and they can't get the same sensitivity on pc then of course they can't aim like they do on console. If you want to do the test again then do it in waw or black ops (waw does support game pads but you need to use the console to get everything to work like it should)
thotaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare 3