Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Christley

How do i download from steam workshop?

how do i download mods and such from the steam workshop? ive never really understood that one. now that skyrim has official mod support, i wanna download some.

do i press subscribe or what do i do to try them?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
MSPreacher

Yes, just click Subscribe. Then when you open up the Skyrim launcher, they'll download! Once you've downloaded them, you might want to unsubscribe if you don't want to get automatic updates for whatever reason. It'll still keep your current version in your folder and you can still use that. This way you have a bit more control over updates (when you want to apply an update, just resubscribe temporarily and run the Skyrim launcher again).
MSPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Archer Kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPreacher View Post
Yes, just click Subscribe.
Then start up Skyrim, it will do short updating and bam!
Archer Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
NoBridges

Banned
You accept the fact that valve now controls whatever mod you want to install, then you hit a subscribe button.
NoBridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Burekman

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBridges View Post
You accept the fact that valve now controls whatever mod you want to install, then you hit a subscribe button.
Yep, this is legit. I heard from a completely reliable anonymous source that Gabe is now developing a mind controlling device. The worst part is, Tinfoil hats don't help.
Burekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
NoBridges

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burekman View Post
Yep, this is legit. I heard from a completely reliable anonymous source that Gabe is now developing a mind controlling device. The worst part is, Tinfoil hats don't help.
In due time my fellow steam baby, in due time.
NoBridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #7
gordonfreeman1_

No direct download option is a real bummer, the fact that workshop is there is awesome but it's also acting as an app-store like gateway, I'd prefer if it also offered the option to link to actual mod nexus/moddb-like sites and the developer's own websites with a disclaimer that is non-Steam which offer greater download limits and the ability to download the mods as and when you want with the option to install it later instead of gating this.
gordonfreeman1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Masterblaster73

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonfreeman1_ View Post
No direct download option is a real bummer, the fact that workshop is there is awesome but it's also acting as an app-store like gateway, I'd prefer if it also offered the option to link to actual mod nexus/moddb-like sites and the developer's own websites with a disclaimer that is non-Steam which offer greater download limits and the ability to download the mods as and when you want with the option to install it later instead of gating this.
I don't understand this comment.
These downloads are not retail games from developers with official web sites. They are game mods made by gamers (they don't have web sites). Workshop gives them a place to share their work.
When you subscribe, the mod installs the next time you run that game and it will automatically update if the author updates it. What's wrong with that?

Last edited by Masterblaster73: 01-29-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Masterblaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 AM   #9
gordonfreeman1_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterblaster73 View Post
I don't understand this comment.
These downloads are not retail games from developers with official web sites. They are game mods made by gamers (they don't have web sites). Workshop gives them a place to share their work.
When you subscribe, the mod installs the next time you run that game and it will automatically update if the author updates it. What's wrong with that?
As far as I've seen there is no download manager for mods, for people with a fast internet connection it's no big deal, but quite a few people have had issues with using the workshop because subscribed mods aren't showing up in-game (I was checking around for a way to direct download steam workshop mods - there isn't any that I could find - and came across those threads). For those with a slower connection it is a lot more reliable and convenient to have the ability to queue downloads from a direct download server and have them all ready to install overnight. The real issue with Steam workshop though is how it could lead to splitting the modding community, while sites like Nexus have said that Steam Workshop users get introduced to mods via workshop then sort of graduate to Nexus and other mod sites to get more advanced 100MB+ (Steam mod upload limit) mods such as those for graphics overhauls etc, the issue remains that should a mod author not upload their mod to any place other than Steam Workshop it becomes unavailable to anyone who does not own a Steam version of the game, there are tonnes of people modding games available outside of Steam and which are sold DRM-free for example. This is how Steam is acting as a gated modding community and can easily encourage the majority of Source engine mods - for which there already is a healthy modding community which inspired this whole workshop to begin with - to move to workshop, out of sheer convenience, something I don't consider very healthy and is the app-store like closed model I was referring to. I love having easy access to mod installations and the system introducing mods to users who would normally be too scared to try but I want the assurance those mods are accessible to all players of a game, not just the Steam ones, a simple direct download link (such as on every single modding site out there) would go a long way to achieve that as well as providing a means for people with slower internet connections to get their fix without having to wait without UI feedback.
gordonfreeman1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:25 AM   #10
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonfreeman1_ View Post
the issue remains that should a mod author not upload their mod to any place other than Steam Workshop it becomes unavailable to anyone who does not own a Steam version of the game
I'm fairly sure there aren't any non-steam versions of steam workshop supported titles so while it may become an issue, it isn't an issue now.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #11
Masterblaster73

I have not had a single time where a mod from Workshop did not download or install. As far as the size limit of mods, that's not a problem either. That's what "Collections" are used for.
The problem with all of the sites out there offering game mods is there are newer and older versions all mixed together. Some sites are updated, others are not. The idea is Workshop will be the "Official" place for mods and they will be automatically updated to your system when new versions are offered if you subscribe to them.
For example, there is a site for L4D2 mods (L4Dmaps.com) that allows users to post mods. It is full of people posting other peoples mods. Many of which are not the newest version. Most don't mention they are not the author. It is my hope that Workshop will clean up this mess.

Last edited by Masterblaster73: 01-30-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #12
Miskatonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterblaster73 View Post
I have not had a single time where a mod from Workshop did dot download or install.
Well, some of us do. On L4D2, after I've subscribed to it, Steam always keeps on trying to re-download the "Diescraper Redux" campaign and it never manages to complete it every single time. Mods will smaller file sizes do work fine for me though, like the Improved Bots.

I've put in a support ticket for the issue, but have not received any response from Steam support - 10 days and counting.
Miskatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #13
Masterblaster73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miskatonic View Post
Well, some of us do. On L4D2, after I've subscribed to it, Steam always keeps on trying to re-download the "Diescraper Redux" campaign and it never manages to complete it every single time. Mods will smaller file sizes do work fine for me though, like the Improved Bots.

I've put in a support ticket for the issue, but have not received any response from Steam support - 10 days and counting.
Last night I downloaded a very large campaign update from L4D2 Workshop. It took a verrrrry long time and seemed to stop several times. I just left the computer and came back an hour later and it completed the download. I wonder if you are not waiting long enough. Maybe the problem is the speed.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #14
Miskatonic

I've literally left my laptop on and downloading overnight lol, so I'm definitely waiting long enough.

I also tried changing my download region, didn't help at all.

It couldn't also be the speed, because previous to that I downloaded Dota 2 pretty quickly with up to 300-500kbps. All other previous games I downloaded had no issues during the download process.

So I think it's an issue with how Steam downloads content from the Workshop specifically. But at this point I'm just guessing because I've yet to receive a response from support.
Miskatonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips