Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim

Old 02-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
hughcorner

Stolen mods - what can I do?

So I just noticed that a couple of my mods over at Skyrim Nexus have been uploaded to the Steam Workshop without my permission.

I probably wouldn't have minded if they had contacted me first, but the fact that they just went ahead and released my work without my knowledge has made me furious, quite frankly.

I have sent both users a message in the comments section asking that they be taken down but I am wondering what recourse I have as the original author if they refuse. Is there anything in the Steam terms of service which protects mod authors?

Proof:
------

My mod | Workshop Version

My mod | Workshop Version
Old 02-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
Neonox

Yeesh, that sucks.

I wonder though, what's the "Report" button used for?

Can it be used for stuff like this?
Neonox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
hughcorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonox View Post
Yeesh, that sucks.

I wonder though, what's the "Report" button used for?

Can it be used for stuff like this?
I just want to be sure that I have the right as the original author to request that the mods be taken down. Is there a terms of service agreement somewhere for people uploading content to the workshop?
hughcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #4
hughcorner

Ha! Got the bastards!

From the Steam Workshop Contribution Agreement:

Quote:
You represent and warrant:

a. that You are free to enter into the Agreement, and that You have full legal power and authority to enter into this Agreement;

b. that the Contribution submitted pursuant to this Agreement was originally created by You (and, with respect to a Group Contribution, the other Contributors);

c. that the Contribution submitted pursuant to this Agreement does not infringe or violate any copyright, trade secret, trademark, or other proprietary or personal right held by any party other than You and (with respect to a Group Contribution only) the other Contributors; and

d. that the Contribution submitted pursuant to this Agreement does not violate any applicable contract, law or regulation.
So I've reported both mods. What I'm wondering now is whether or not I need to open a ticket with Steam support...

Last edited by hughcorner: 02-11-2012 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
GutterSmurf

Good luck Maybe they'll simply switch out the ownership to your account and leave it hosted? That'd be nice for the people who've already subscribed to it, if that's ok with you as well of course but yes let's see what the admin says.
GutterSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Kratier

well considering all you did was steal the content from witcher 2
its technically not "yours"
Kratier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
hughcorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratier View Post
1. CDProject have given permission for their models to be used as a modder's resource, so it is not "stealing".

2. Just take a look for one moment at the list of features included in my mod; all of which are original content created by me over the course of a month.

Please get your facts straight before making stupid accusations.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Kratier

you stole a retail product's art assets directly from the game and claimed as your own
Kratier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
hughcorner

So "Kratier" is your forum name, eh Lt. Wolf? Stay classy dude.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
voidster

lol both mods are gone and the nexus is down (again). *shrugs*

Honestly, our copyright system needs an epic rewrite. I dont see how someone sharing your mod on another system is copy infringement. IF they somehow profited from it, ok...but just this? *shakes head*

ah well, looks like your problem was solved.
voidster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
Zanarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidster View Post
lol both mods are gone and the nexus is down (again). *shrugs*

Honestly, our copyright system needs an epic rewrite. I dont see how someone sharing your mod on another system is copy infringement. IF they somehow profited from it, ok...but just this? *shakes head*

ah well, looks like your problem was solved.
That isn't the point, it's the point of reputation, it's good to have reputation, if people view you as a great modder, they will want more from you and it is entirely possible that they could donate to you which gives you money and also gives you yet another reason to continue modding. However, if people view you as a less than decent modder, they will avoid your mods and will not request any.

If you made a mod or a game that you weren't going to sell, but someone took it and said 'I made this', you wouldn't care? Sure you wouldn't.
Zanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by voidster View Post
I dont see how someone sharing your mod on another system is copy infringement. IF they somehow profited from it, ok...but just this? *shakes head*
That is the issue though. According to the Workshop Agreement Steam reserves the right to sell anything there and give 25% AGR to the creator.
Ethos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #13
Prpich25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratier View Post
Whats funny about this, is that he is basicly saying its alright to steal something that has been stolen. lol Not saying it was stolen in the first place. Its just nice to point out the childish response. lol
Prpich25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #14
Staind716

I really don't see the point in trying to stick Witcher 2 characters in Skyrim anyway. If I want to play Witcher 2 I will just click on it instead of Skyrim. Makes about as much sense as the My Little Pony mods.
Staind716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Thrillho007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staind716 View Post
I really don't see the point in trying to stick Witcher 2 characters in Skyrim anyway. If I want to play Witcher 2 I will just click on it instead of Skyrim. Makes about as much sense as the My Little Pony mods.
So it makes horse sense?
Thrillho007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim