Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > APB Reloaded

Old 02-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
OkamiWaffles

Exclamation FPS Lag 24/7 Please Help Me.

Okay, so I get into the game, and I can understand that there might be a bit of lag when doing animations for the first time, or loading up the textures and everything, that I can understand. But it should be done in less than 5 minutes or so, right? Wrong. The entire time I play, every time I shoot, I start bugging out. Every time someone kills me, my game freezes temporarily, and by the time I've respawned and been standing there like an idiot for 30 seconds, suddenly I come to, only to be dead, and hearing a jumble of themes playing at once. Everything that could possibly happen in this game makes me lag my off. I've been playing with lowest quality everything, half my resolution, windowed mode, I've done everything I possibly could to try and make this work. I know my computer is a couple years old, but it really should not be this damn laggy. Can anyone give me some advice to make it run a bit smoother, without needing to go out and buy brand new video cards? I'd like to try every possibility before having to resort to that. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Chimonanthus

Lightbulb I feel you :)

Don't worry, there are ways you can work this game without spending one bit of money for those greedy corporate pigs...

There are two ways of altering the game. Modifying the client files, or modifying the server files. The later is named "hacking" or "cheating" so we don't want to talk about it.
You can modify your files so that your game doesn't run all those problematic features that make us low rig lag like hell like 1337 shadows, C00L lights and stuff.

Go on a search browser (aka google, yahoo, etc.) and search : "Apb reloaded low".
If you use google like me, you'll end up with good links that are about people modifying some configuration files, making the game less pretty, but faster.
That's what you want. They'll talk about downloading their own customized files. That's a good idea but I suggest you understand first how those files work and try altering them yourself (ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DO BACKUPS).

For me, the best balance between graphics and lag was this file given in the description of this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46GajDa7O9U
For me, it has no problem (I'm even going to alter some of it for even better fps; I'll post my changes here if it works).

Now some tips (because it can be tricky at some point):
- Read everything you can from the guides you get with search browser ;
- Do backups of the files you're going to modify ;
- Although I'm not sure, you're gonna have to repeat your modifications every time you update the game (since it sets back your files to normal) ;
- Do a shorcut for the starter (you'll understand from the guides).

I hope it helps and have a good time playing.
Chimonanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
OkamiWaffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimonanthus View Post
Don't worry, there are ways you can work this game without spending one bit of money for those greedy corporate pigs...

There are two ways of altering the game. Modifying the client files, or modifying the server files. The later is named "hacking" or "cheating" so we don't want to talk about it.
You can modify your files so that your game doesn't run all those problematic features that make us low rig lag like hell like 1337 shadows, C00L lights and stuff.

Go on a search browser (aka google, yahoo, etc.) and search : "Apb reloaded low".
If you use google like me, you'll end up with good links that are about people modifying some configuration files, making the game less pretty, but faster.
That's what you want. They'll talk about downloading their own customized files. That's a good idea but I suggest you understand first how those files work and try altering them yourself (ALWAYS REMEMBER TO DO BACKUPS).

For me, the best balance between graphics and lag was this file given in the description of this video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46GajDa7O9U
For me, it has no problem (I'm even going to alter some of it for even better fps; I'll post my changes here if it works).

Now some tips (because it can be tricky at some point):
- Read everything you can from the guides you get with search browser ;
- Do backups of the files you're going to modify ;
- Although I'm not sure, you're gonna have to repeat your modifications every time you update the game (since it sets back your files to normal) ;
- Do a shorcut for the starter (you'll understand from the guides).

I hope it helps and have a good time playing.
Thank you very much, you're a life saver, because I've had people complaining at me because I never want to play due to severe lag. Not to mention, I love this game in general. I'll try this and hope it works.
OkamiWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Chimonanthus

Cool My tweaks up to today

I said I would so here it is : my new files (you other guys with interesting stuff, feel free to post it here, I'm always interested into making the game having nice looking characters while having the crappiest possible environment).

I found somewhere (sorry whoever is the maker, I'll put some credits if I ever find you again) a new tweak for the APBcompat file and it made the game look crappy, but I havn't really lagged much ever since or crashed because of memory lack. So now I'm using a computer 10 times cheaper than what some use, but I'm getting more kills than them. Find the capitalist logic. Still at 32 bit with 128mb gcard and a good 8 fps on minimal (unchanged files) settings.

I personally mixed both tweaks (this one and the one in my previous post) : I use the Compat file from this new one and use the other files from the other one (but not Compat). Here is my personal file (I tweaked it from the original, put some stuff to False, to make it better for FPS.)

http://www.2shared.com/file/I1ulr6jK/APBCompat.html

The only virus in the file is the one that'll make your brain rot from playing APBR with those graphics. Just kidding, I'm still sane and I didn't kill anyone for those past 5 minutes. O.o

P.S. I'm very interested in your progress OkamiWaffles. Did it work?

Last edited by Chimonanthus: 02-26-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: New plan
Chimonanthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > APB Reloaded