Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 02-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
dravil66

Skyrim fast travel freeze!!

Hey,
my skyrim game recently keeps freezing when fast traveling. When i first got it, it never did freeze. I have downloaded mods from the steam workshop, and then unchecked them in data files before i launched the game but it still keeps freezing. I have also a while ago downloaded the skyrim online mod, but i am sure that i have deleted it. I verified the game cache, and that didnt work.
I think it is freezing, i only wait about 1-2 mins then close it, never waited longer to see if it loads. My saved games load fine.

Any help?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
superdog_5678

I've started having this problem as well and just recently. I have to use the Task Manager to end the game. Then I noticed that the game is reloading in my Steam Library. No idea why but it is starting to make the game unpleasant.
superdog_5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
MaintenanceMan

Same thing was happening to me, I then backed up and removed all but a few recent game saves from the saves directory. I think I had over 250 files in there at the time.. So far no freezes following fast travel or loading new world areas for 2 weeks, and I play for a few hours each day.

Oh, I also put back my favorite mods and all is still ok... (so far)
MaintenanceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #4
superdog_5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaintenanceMan View Post
Same thing was happening to me, I then backed up and removed all but a few recent game saves from the saves directory. I think I had over 250 files in there at the time.. So far no freezes following fast travel or loading new world areas for 2 weeks, and I play for a few hours each day.

Oh, I also put back my favorite mods and all is still ok... (so far)
Hummm. Well I have already removed most of them before I started having the problem but you may be on to something. I'll try removing a few more. Perhaps there is some corruption in one of the files or the game is just having trouble with one or more of the ones that are left.

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #5
anjs

I am seeing the same problem
anjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Melonhead

So am I, I'll try deleting the save games and see if that helps.

Edit: It didn't!

Last edited by Melonhead: 03-09-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Rhyten

Same problem overhere... Not only on fast travel though...
Rhyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
superdog_5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyten View Post
Same problem overhere... Not only on fast travel though...
Sometimes mine can happen shortly after fast travel. So after a fast travel I don't touch the controls until the "Autosaving" message goes away and that may help. Not sure yet since it is randomy. Still getting freezes on the fast travel though.

Edit: Sent an email off to Bethesda on the problem.

Last edited by superdog_5678: 03-09-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
MaintenanceMan

Darnit.. no lock ups on fast travel so far but last night I locked up twice with a black screen when entering my new home in Solitude.

Shut down the game, restarted and tried again, no problem until on the fourth attempt of going in and out of thehouse it locked up again..

Got me beat, this game seems to become more unstable on my system if the computer hasn't had a full shut down and reboot for some time.

This tells me it could even be a corrupted memory buffer issue.

Last edited by MaintenanceMan: 03-09-2012 at 11:42 PM.
MaintenanceMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #10
superdog_5678

Well it's a mystery. I got rid of all but four personal saves and played a bit and was having the same problems. So I got rid of all but one "Save" not including the autosaves and quicksave. I also got rid of Steam Cloud synchronization in the Properties/Updates section. I then played for several hours with no freezes.

Details:
1. My saves were getting rather large at about 9,354 KB each. There are six autosaves (three are autosaveX.ess and three are autosaveX.ess.bak where the 'X' is a number 1,2 or 3). And there are two quicksaves (quicksave.ess and quicksave.ess.bak) That makes a total of nine saves at about 9,365 KB each for a total of 84,285 KB.
2. Steam Cloud shows 45.60 MB stored/4.40 MB available. So I guess it's possible that saves above 50 MB were causing some kind of lock up when trying to sync. That could also be why the game had to reload after a freeze.

I guess I'll try adding Steam Cloud sync back and see if that causes any problems during my next session.

Last edited by superdog_5678: 03-10-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #11
Melonhead

I've tried everything everyone has said so far, and still get the freeze after fast travel and sometimes when entering a house. I've even turned off my AA after reading the ;latest Catalyst update has caused a few problems, but that didn't solve it.

Seems like more and more people are getting this issue - it's a real shame because its killing the game for me.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:51 AM   #12
DigitalJustice

If you people have edited your .ini files and increased the default values this could be causing the issue(s). Especially ugridstoload. If you set this to anything above its default(5) you are taking a gamble depending on your system and software. I had it set to 7 and it was causing random CTDs and issues with fast travel.
DigitalJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
superdog_5678

So I played a couple of hours today and had no fast travel freezes. The last thing I did was to reactivate Steam Cloud Synchronization, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. In regard to DigitalJustice's remark, I have never messed with any '.ini' files. The only thing I have done is download the texture pack and workshop feature but I've never added any workshop mods.

Summary: So far what seems to have cleared it up for me was to get rid of all but one 'Save', not including the quicksaves and autosaves. It might be that one of the saves was bad but I can't imagine why. So that makes two of us that seem to have benefited from deleting save files and one saying it made no difference.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Back to having fast travel freeze problems with only one save and no Cloud sync.

Edit: I got rid of my last save and now the fast travel freezes have gone away again. So essentially I'm only using autosaves and quick saves. Very strange.

Last edited by superdog_5678: 03-12-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 AM   #14
Melonhead

Deleting the save games hasn't worked for me, nore has rolling back all my drivers. There's a new 1.5 beta available through steam so I'm just downloading that in the hope it will fix things. Fingers crossed......
Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #15
superdog_5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Deleting the save games hasn't worked for me, nore has rolling back all my drivers. There's a new 1.5 beta available through steam so I'm just downloading that in the hope it will fix things. Fingers crossed......
What size are your save files? Individual and total might be useful to know.

The reason I asked is I found some other references that showed people having problems with lag if their save files got too large. Most of them started having problems once the individual files got over 9,000. Some people got rid of their 'Save On Fast Travel' through the Gameplay settings and that seemed to help. Another said if you wait in a building for an extended period of time (72 hrs or more) that the file sizes went back down.

Anyway, it may not be the saves so much as the size of the individual save files that are causing a problem. It could also be a combination of the two.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V