Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Square Enix

Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Inkmouse

No CD keys available FFXI

Seriously, one small request. DON'T SELL SOMETHING YOU DON'T HAVE! I buy from steam because I expect to have my product without leaving my house instantly.

When you buy something from steam and get a vague error such as "Failed to contact key server" which makes you think maybe somethings wrong on your part. only to do lots of Google searching to find out Steam doesn't cut off it's sales when they run out of keys. In fact they continue selling and it can be not just hours before you actually get a key but days or even weeks (I'm currently at 27 hours now).

and then when you confront them about this what do they offer you? not your money back no, they offer you steam credit. FOR WHAT?!?! You can't give me what i paid for... give me the *&#*&@*&#@*& money so I can go buy the service you couldn't give me. Is this the first time to run into something like this when ordering from the internet. Of course not stuff gets back ordered all the time. However any other place would of canceled your order and given you your money back. What steam does is nothing short of a SCAM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
gamemc

I totally agree!

I purchased FFXI yesterday and I'm getting the "Failed to contact key server" error. This is absolutely ridiculous. It isn't difficult to poll the key server to get a count of CD keys available before allowing someone to purchase the game. This is obviously a business strategy... borderline scamming if you ask me...

P.S.: Please hurry with the keys! /cry
gamemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Astori

usually it takes about 1-3 days for steam support to reply with the solution.

looking at your thread's date, you just posted this matter not too long ago.

should your problem is solved, would be nice to post it here.
just for sake of sharing guys ^^
Astori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:19 AM   #4
RockPortTech

No key for me as well yet. same error. How long do we have to wait?

Last edited by RockPortTech: 03-25-2012 at 09:35 AM.
RockPortTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
hattori808

so judging by this it has been about a month and still cd key problems? well now don't I feel the fool for just picking this up and hoping to be able to play within the day.
hattori808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
RockPortTech

Any update as to WHEN we are getting the key to this game? This is ridiculous.

It's akin to going to local ford dealership to pickup you new car, then you get in it all happy, BUT can't drive off because the dealer does not have the keys to it. EVEN THOUGH YOU PAID IN FULL!!
Old 03-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Emberscale

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattori808 View Post
so judging by this it has been about a month and still cd key problems? well now don't I feel the fool for just picking this up and hoping to be able to play within the day.
I've found posts around the web dating back to February 2011 and possibly even before with these issues.

Seems to me that Square Enix (they hand keys to Valve to put on Steam) does nothing but give them a small handful of keys every time they need them, rather than giving them a massive surplus for use with things like this.
Emberscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Prime989

This is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know who to blame, wither Squeenix or Steam, but honestly this is just a joke. I really wanted to play FFXI today, and even though I posted a question to steam support over 9 hours ago, I still have no reply or key. I hope this is something that only happens on weekends, and perhaps steam cannot contact square enix to get keys now. Otherwise, this is just incredibly frustrating. I paid for something and I literally have to WAIT to get a product key. Just ridiculous.
Prime989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Malerin

I got a response to my support ticket 48 hours after opening one (opened this Friday, got a response a few hours ago), and the Steam guy told me to try rebooting - and that was it. Nothing about when they're getting more keys. So that was not exactly encouraging.

All we can do is wait, I guess. It sucks. And it is extremely frustrating.
Malerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
TentacleMayor

I got my key but don't get your hopes up people - the game uses some absolutely jacked-up two-account system, an outdated launcher that partly doesn't work, and a 'Content ID system', that, as I understand it, makes you pay again just to get your 'free' 30 days. This is the strangest, most cryptic and confusing service I've encountered. Just let me get into the damn game with my SE account that I make during the Steam download and my promised 30 days. It doesn't have to be a damn project just to get into the game.
TentacleMayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #11
RockPortTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TentacleMayor View Post
I got my key but don't get your hopes up people - the game uses some absolutely jacked-up two-account system, an outdated launcher that partly doesn't work, and a 'Content ID system', that, as I understand it, makes you pay again just to get your 'free' 30 days. This is the strangest, most cryptic and confusing service I've encountered. Just let me get into the damn game with my SE account that I make during the Steam download and my promised 30 days. It doesn't have to be a damn project just to get into the game.
How long was your wait until you got your key please?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:28 PM   #12
TentacleMayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPortTech View Post
How long was your wait until you got your key please?
Instant, I got it on purchase along with the item key a few hours ago. Guess I should consider myself lucky.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
RockPortTech

Were you able to see your CD Key from within Steam? I tried that it keeps telling me "Failed to contact Key Server".
Old 03-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
TentacleMayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockPortTech View Post
Were you able to see your CD Key from within Steam? I tried that it keeps telling me "Failed to contact Key Server".
Yes, once I launched the game, it brought up the window with the 2 keys like in any other game that has them. Nothing unusual for me. I was able to register them on my SE account without problems. If this thing went on for longer than a day without getting the key, I'd demand a refund.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #15
RockPortTech

Yes I am not past the 24hr mark since I bought the game and still cannot get it to play. No emails from STEAM as far as my open petition (or whatever it's called here) other than to let me know a ticket has been opened.

Seriously this is a headache in itself. I should have bought it somewhere else, paid the extra $10 because at least TODAY I would have gotten some game time.

BTW was the PlayOnline registration code in an email that arrived from STEAM (because i never received that other than the purchase confirmation number) or that little window when you launch the game from within STEAM gave it to you? Cause THAT little window is the one that gives me the failed to contact key server.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Square Enix