Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crusader Kings II

Old 02-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Mivo

Smile Windowed mode, performance boosts, extra settings, and more!

I've collected a few tips and tweaks in this post that may be useful to you.

Windowed Mode

Yes, the game can be run in windowed mode. In order to enable it, you need to go into your documents folder and open a file named settings.txt. On a standard Windows installation, it is located at: C:\Users\Name\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II) Change the line that says "fullScreen=yes" to "fullScreen=no" (minus the quotation marks) and save. You may want to select a different resolution for this, too.

Performance boosts

If you're running the game on an older computer or a laptop, you may notice some "lag" or low framerates (game feels sluggish). If this the case for you, you can improve the performance by turning off the trees. Open settings.txt in your documents folder (see above for where to find it) and change the line "draw_trees=yes" to "draw_trees=no" (without the quotation marks). You should notice a substantial performance boost.

(You may notice some other options here, but not all of them are actually used by the game. Shadows and bloom, for example, are not currently supported, so turning them on or off will not have an impact on your playing experience.)

Different location for save files and screenshots

By default, the game puts the save files and screenshots into your documents folder. If you would prefer them to be kept in a different location, you can change this. Here is how:

Go to the location of the actual game files (where the executable is). A common location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\crusader kings ii. Here, manually create a plain text file named userdir.txt. In this text file, put the path of where you would like the game to put save files and screenshots, e.g. D:\Miscellaneous\CK2stuff\. (You can delete the folder in My Documents and restart the game, it will create its files in the new location.)

IMPORTANT: Before you do this, backup your save games, screenshots, etc, so that nothing is lost!

Custom resolutions

CK2's engine allows you to create a custom resolution, which for example would be useful if you want to emulate a borderless window mode (not directly supported) or double the text size without making everything look too blurry. This can be simply done by opening the settings.txt file (see above for where to find it) and changing the "x" and "y" variables near the top of the file. "x" is the width and "y" is the height. Note that the smallest supported values are 1024 (for "x") and 768 (for "y"). (Kudos to ewphoenix123 for this tip!)

Last edited by Mivo: 02-15-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Added custom resolutions.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Paradox__rep

Paradox
Great post! I'd just like to change this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
shadows=yes
anisotropic_filtering=4
draw_bloom=yes
The shadows and draw_bloom variables does not actually do anything in the game, they are not used.

Do you mind if I post the rest on our own forum, if you have not done so already?
Paradox__rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Mivo

I'll update the post. No, I haven't posted it to the official forums at the plazza yet, because I didn't know if that would be all right. I can post it there too, or you can recycle the text, whichever you prefer. Posting it myself may be easier for future edits, but either way work for me. (Same forum name there as here.)
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Paradox__rep

Paradox
Oh if you already have an account, go right ahead! It is more than alright, it is encouraged.
Paradox__rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Mivo

Done. It's located here. Perhaps other users will add to it, and here as well!
Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Mivo

Added a tip on custom resolutions, as a workaround to emulate a borderless window mode and font sizes on very large screens, which was contributed by Paradox forum user ewphoenix123.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #7
Stopple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox__rep View Post
Oh if you already have an account, go right ahead! It is more than alright, it is encouraged.
This blows my mind. If you want people to post this, why not release documentation of what's externally configurable?
Stopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
Drewie29

Quote:
CK2's engine allows you to create a custom resolution, which for example would be useful if you want to emulate a borderless window mode (not directly supported) or double the text size without making everything look too blurry. This can be simply done by opening the settings.txt file (see above for where to find it) and changing the "x" and "y" variables near the top of the file. "x" is the width and "y" is the height. Note that the smallest supported values are 1024 (for "x") and 768 (for "y"). (Kudos to ewphoenix123 for this tip!)
Thanks for passing on the tip - is any other way to increase text size with out lowering resolution? That as much of an answer as it might be for those willing to accept a Wii looking game - is not an solid direction for those that expect a bit more for their $40 - i.e. a HD game with readable text on a 46" display.

Please post any useful advice, and PI dev rep if you are reading - why you guy choose this font and size given how many of us play games on HTPC these days with big displays!?!?!?
Drewie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #9
Mivo

Drewie, I'm afraid there is no viable and good way (let alone an easy one) to increase the font size in Clausewitz (the engine CK2 uses) games. It comes up on the Paradox forums now and then, and I understand the next generation of the engine is likely to have that feature (it's not trivial as it works with bitmaps, so it's not a simple matter of swapping out the font that is used). For the time being, doubling the resolution is probably the best approach.

Personally, the font size in CK2 works for me, but I've had trouble with it in Victoria 2, so rescaling fonts and UI elements is something high on my "hopefully they'll do that!" feature wish list, too.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Drewie29

Thanks for your response and explanation - much appreciated (+1 rep for you).

This game is too good to pass up on the account of lower resolution, so have manned up and accepted that it'll have to do.

For anyone reading with similar text size issue - I play games at 1920 x 1080 and with CK2 lowering resolution to 1366 x 768 gives me full screen still and text that is easily readable from couch - bit blurry tho but them is the breaks.

Thanks again Mivo =)
Drewie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #11
ed4053

Quote:
... For the time being, doubling the resolution is probably the best approach.
Could you elaborate on that please, what do you mean by "doubling the resolution" ?

Last edited by ed4053: 02-22-2012 at 04:44 AM.
ed4053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #12
Mivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4053 View Post
Could you elaborate on that please, what do you mean by "doubling the resolution" ?
I mis-named this a little. It essentially means the opposite: you half the resolution and thus "double" the size of the text (and everything else) without it becoming too blurry.

This won't necessarily work as smoothly as it sounds though because of the minimum resolution required by the engine. The main purpose of this method isn't to make the font bigger but to get to run the game in a pseudo-borderless window.

How to do this is explained in the first post, near the end of it. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #13
panteraleap

This is the first search result on Google for "crusader kings 2 font size".

For anyone still looking to improve the game's text/readability:

Look for the Set Custom Text Size (DPI) option in Windows' display settings. It opens a dialog box when you click it, and at the bottom, there's a checkbox that says "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling". Uncheck it, click OK, then click Apply.

Play the game in windowed mode and you'll notice the window size is bigger than the pixels/resolution you set it at. For example, if the game is set at 1366x768, its window will be ~1600x960.

Detailed info for the curious:

When the "Windows XP style DPI scaling" option is checked, programs only get their text and menu bars enlarged; everything else they have stay normal sized. This works fine for text editors, internet browsers, and such, but does nothing for games.
panteraleap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
Shjade

Quote:
Open settings.txt in your documents folder (see above for where to find it) and change the line "draw_trees=yes" to "draw_trees=no" (without the quotation marks). You should notice a substantial performance boost.
So I did this, and then...there were still trees.

>.>
Shjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Prime624

Quote:

Performance boosts

If you're running the game on an older computer or a laptop, you may notice some "lag" or low framerates (game feels sluggish). If this the case for you, you can improve the performance by turning off the trees. Open settings.txt in your documents folder (see above for where to find it) and change the line "draw_trees=yes" to "draw_trees=no" (without the quotation marks). You should notice a substantial performance boost.

(You may notice some other options here, but not all of them are actually used by the game. Shadows and bloom, for example, are not currently supported, so turning them on or off will not have an impact on your playing

Custom resolutions

Will either of these help "lower" the spec requirements for the game. My laptop has enough everything but a good enough video card and it therefore crashes at random times ingame. Would changing these have even a chance of fixing that problem?
Prime624 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Crusader Kings II