Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion

Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
real-X

MW3 VAC... honestly what the @#$!

Ok so I can easily name two players:

VENI VIDI KIL**
WHATtheHE**
note: I deliberately left out last two letters in case naming names is not allowed on the forum.

There have been others, but these two were well noticed over some weeks now. It wasn't just down to me freaking out and noticing something, it was people leaving the game in huge numbers, others joining and being jarateed off, even their own teammates we're claiming they reported them on many occasions. What irritates me is that there were several players I run into and enjoy playing with that I KNOW reported these two many times, yet for about 2-3 weeks now they keep popping up in games and ruining perfectly good matches. Both get the nuke within 1-2 minutes into the match 70% of the time I've been in a match they joined.

My point is, I too have good scores plenty of times (1.945 K/D ratio, nothing fancy) and people call me out to be a hacker and at least claim they reported me, which leads me to believe that I get reported few times a day. Naturally I don't leave games when I'm called out like this and don't leave after the match either, so I like to think that VAC "checks me out" and sees nothing wrong on my part. But when I see two players that must've SO OBVIOUSLY jarateed off SOOO many people that I personally saw (including myself), I begin to wonder is VAC even doing anything. Banning 1500 - 2000 people to leave a good impression shortly after the game was released may buy some credibility, but only for so long, this... this is just getting out of hand...

VAC should be doing a much better job. Excuse me for this 'loud' approach but it's my day/night off and because of these two (they play separately, not together) I have a real trouble finding a game that won't get ruined, cause it seems they jump games or w/e since I keep running into them.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
arisaka

Server admins exist in other games for a reason.
arisaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Misguided

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisaka View Post
Server admins exist in other games for a reason.
So what does that say about VAC. P.S VAC works the exact same in MW# as it does in CS:S
Misguided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
Technogeek1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
So what does that say about VAC. P.S VAC works the exact same in MW# as it does in CS:S
You are at least partially correct: VAC works nearly the same in MW games as it does in Source.

As for what arisaka's post says about VAC: It says that VAC was never designed to fulfill the role that Activision/IW have shoehorned it into. VAC was not intended to serve as the only anti-cheating measure in a game, but that is precisely what the MW developers have done.

VAC is intended simply as punishment for cheaters, after a certain delay period. It is designed to work alongside dedicated servers AND server admins, so that admins could kick/ban cheaters short-term, and VAC could take care of the cheater's account long-term. MW3 only has unranked dedicated servers, which are not used very much. MW2 doesn't even HAVE dedicated servers. Thus, the vast majority of players are playing through MW3's matchmaking system, with no admins to ban cheaters at the time of their cheating. This allows the cheaters to ruin many players' games before VAC's delayed ban kicks in.

None of this, however, is the fault of either VALVe or VAC.
Technogeek1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
gashadokuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek1994 View Post
Unfortunately some think because they bought the game through steam that valve made it.
gashadokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Ruptur3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashadokuro View Post
Unfortunately some think because they bought the game through steam that valve made it.
Indeed,this..

Vac is working fine..

It's up to Treyarch etc
Ruptur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
Misguided

Quote:
You are at least partially correct: VAC works nearly the same in MW games as it does in Source.

As for what arisaka's post says about VAC: It says that VAC was never designed to fulfill the role that Activision/IW have shoehorned it into. VAC was not intended to serve as the only anti-cheating measure in a game, but that is precisely what the MW developers have done.

VAC is intended simply as punishment for cheaters, after a certain delay period. It is designed to work alongside dedicated servers AND server admins, so that admins could kick/ban cheaters short-term, and VAC could take care of the cheater's account long-term. MW3 only has unranked dedicated servers, which are not used very much. MW2 doesn't even HAVE dedicated servers. Thus, the vast majority of players are playing through MW3's matchmaking system, with no admins to ban cheaters at the time of their cheating. This allows the cheaters to ruin many players' games before VAC's delayed ban kicks in.

Actually i am completely right. VAC works no different in CS:S or MW series. The fact that VAC picks up a very tiny amount of cheaters in MW is indicative of its effectiveness. Yeah sure server admins should exist, but this only highlights that VAC really isn't a great anti-cheat tool and that server admins mask its true effectiveness.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
King of Koopas

Quote:
Actually i am completely right. VAC works no different in CS:S or MW series. The fact that VAC picks up a very tiny amount of cheaters in MW is indicative of its effectiveness. Yeah sure server admins should exist, but this only highlights that VAC really isn't a great anti-cheat tool and that server admins mask its true effectiveness.
And where is proof that VAC isn't catching cheaters? All evidence points to the opposite. VAC works with delayed banning, so yeah it LOOKS like it's not doing anything.
Not to mention, it can't catch everything. Nothing can. Private hacks are hard to catch and unless you want to use the punkbuster method which is the joke of anti cheat world, it's never going to be able to catch everything.

VAC works fine in dedicated servers, and I almost never run into hackers on Valve games.
King of Koopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:28 PM   #9
Ruptur3

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Koopas View Post
And where is proof that VAC isn't catching cheaters? All evidence points to the opposite. VAC works with delayed banning, so yeah it LOOKS like it's not doing anything.
Not to mention, it can't catch everything. Nothing can. Private hacks are hard to catch and unless you want to use the punkbuster method which is the joke of anti cheat world, it's never going to be able to catch everything.

VAC works fine in dedicated servers, and I almost never run into hackers on Valve games.
Pretty much this.

Trying to find a hacker in a Valve game is trying to find a diamond gem in a truckload of coal
Ruptur3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
Misguided

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Koopas View Post
VAC works the exact same way as it does in p2p lobbies as it does in dedicated servers. Your contributing the success of community admins to VAC.

Ask anyone who plays MW3, the cheating can get ridiculous and everyone knows when someone is cheating because they are not hiding it.

So please stop saying VAC works better with dedicated servers, because the truth is it doesn't. It works the exact same way.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #11
mrsico

Quote:
VAC works the exact same way as it does in p2p lobbies as it does in dedicated servers. Your contributing the success of community admins to VAC.

Ask anyone who plays MW3, the cheating can get ridiculous and everyone knows when someone is cheating because they are not hiding it.

So please stop saying VAC works better with dedicated servers, because the truth is it doesn't. It works the exact same way.
And you know this how? You work at both Valve and MW3 HQ (It's a landmass made out of money) now do you?
Email support, or email Activision and fight your case there. Demand a refund or something like that. All your going to do posting slander about a Valve product on a Valve forum is a load of hate and a sore-.
mrsico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
Microshocky

Banned
I don't know whose fault it is, but I think it's VAC's fault for the cheaters STILL left in MW3. Almost every game is some guy going full auto on a sniper headshotting everyone on the map.

Now, why would anyone use Steamworks and integrate VAC into their system if THEY had to manage it? It obviously doesn't work, and the delayed ban system is useless in a game with no admins.
Microshocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #13
Crazy Joe

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microshocky View Post
I don't know whose fault it is, but I think it's VAC's fault for the cheaters STILL left in MW3. Almost every game is some guy going full auto on a sniper headshotting everyone on the map.

Now, why would anyone use Steamworks and integrate VAC into their system if THEY had to manage it? It obviously doesn't work, and the delayed ban system is useless in a game with no admins.
You also have to ask why Valve would allow developers to use VAC in such a way that would give a poor gameplay experience to the legit player.

Seems like money before customer satisfaction to me.
Crazy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:50 AM   #14
Doni

Quote:

VAC was never meant to replace server admins and relieve people of the duty of keeping watch over their own server.

The only reason you see more cheaters in Call of Duty is because hackers know they can run rampant on ANY server for as long as they like and however they like (until the ban kicks in) without fearing an admin that could end their fun.

If there were player admins, hackers would have to carefully choose their servers, stick to poorly/not adminned servers, or simply try a lot harder to be less blatant to get any decent play time with their hacks, thus making them less common.
Doni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #15
Sm0

Quote:

+rep

Also, many people here claim to see a lot of cheaters in MW3, thus pointing fingers at each other in every game, calling out and reporting. In some cases, someone who cheated for real, and MOST of the times casual gamer who has no idea how to spot a REAL cheater, posting on the forums to complain about it. And anyone who ever played online, knows what I'm talking about.

Also, if you visit SPUF daily, almost every new post in VAC is about MW2 or MW3, about someone getting a VAC ban, OR someone complaining about cheaters in-game.

Seriously, you can't blame VAC OR valve for this. If VAC worked with Modern warfare 1, none would be complaining. Game got dedicated ranked servers, no matchmaking (P2P) (Works with PB btw)

IW should have included ranked dedicated servers, that could change everything.

Last edited by Sm0: 02-15-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Sm0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > VAC Discussion