Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 02-16-2012, 07:43 AM   #151
nanosheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson666 View Post
It's already made a ton of dosh. It would make much more sense to just make TF3
People like you are running and ruining things at Activision.

People that run great games into the ing ground.
nanosheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #152
I AM A BEE

I can't trade ingame at all now :/
I AM A BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #153
DoubleGale

I think the problem here is that we're getting offtopic.

I have an old computer and can barely run TF2 at >15 FPS when stuff is happening on the lowest settings. The thing is though, that's not what we're discussing. The OP didn't say "VALVE MAKE THE WHOLE GAME RUN PERFECTLY ON ANY COMPUTER". Nor do I say that. All the OP wants is for a glitch to be fixed that's particularly prone to happen on people running an old computer. The option is given to play in that resolution, so everything should function properly in it. What if they made it so having the graphics in super high settings caused an annoying issue? Should we just not fix it because most people can't run their settings that high?
DoubleGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #154
darkrei

Quote:
Originally Posted by I AM A BEE View Post
I can't trade ingame at all now :/
Whats happening to you exactly ? Computer specs?
darkrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:19 AM   #155
chaingun_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanosheep View Post
People like you are running and ruining things at Activision.

People that run great games into the ing ground.
Godwin's Fortress Law: As an online TF2 argument grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Activision or Bobby Kotick approaches 1.
chaingun_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:27 AM   #156
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaingun_joe View Post
Godwin's Fortress Law: As an online TF2 argument grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Activision or Bobby Kotick approaches 1.
My rep...have it!!!
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #157
turkeyspit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkirman View Post
This

This

This

This?
I'm sorry, but that is just a bunch of trash nonsense.

You can get a lowend, brand new computer, for about $250 today, that would run TF2 in resolutions greater than 800 x 600. As I said in an earlier post, the last time I ran a game in 800 x 600 by choice, was Team Fortress Classic, running on the Half-Life engine, back in 1999-2000 (can't really remember..it was THAT long ago)

I think it very reasonable for Valve to assume that 800 x 600 is no longer a required resolution.

Yes, I get it. Before Valve made the switch, you could trade, and now you can't. Why didn't they leave it alone? That is a valid question. Why they don't support 800 x 600 though, is not.

Eventhough TF2 is 5 years old, it has not stayed the same over those 5years. It has evolved (couldn't bring myself to say 'improved') beyond it's original specs.

That you think Valve should care about you is even sillier. If you cannot afford to upgrade your hardware to support resolutions above 800 x600, then you are too poor to buy any keys, or anything off the Mannco store. Why should Valve care about you again?

This OWS / We are the 99% crap is just silly. You kids really need to grow up and embrace Real Life™
turkeyspit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #158
Comrade Azza

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeyspit View Post
I'm sorry, but that is just a bunch of trash nonsense.

You can get a lowend, brand new computer, for about $250 today, that would run TF2 in resolutions greater than 800 x 600. As I said in an earlier post, the last time I ran a game in 800 x 600 by choice, was Team Fortress Classic, running on the Half-Life engine, back in 1999-2000 (can't really remember..it was THAT long ago)

I think it very reasonable for Valve to assume that 800 x 600 is no longer a required resolution.

Yes, I get it. Before Valve made the switch, you could trade, and now you can't. Why didn't they leave it alone? That is a valid question. Why they don't support 800 x 600 though, is not.

Eventhough TF2 is 5 years old, it has not stayed the same over those 5years. It has evolved (couldn't bring myself to say 'improved') beyond it's original specs.

That you think Valve should care about you is even sillier. If you cannot afford to upgrade your hardware to support resolutions above 800 x600, then you are too poor to buy any keys, or anything off the Mannco store. Why should Valve care about you again?

This OWS / We are the 99% crap is just silly. You kids really need to grow up and embrace Real Life™
Great minds think alike.

+rep to you, sir.
Comrade Azza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #159
Ericson666

Banned
Here's the thing though: If you get a ty computer that can run TF2 now, what'll happen if we get a few more years of updates? Exact same spot.

Why not just save up and get a good computer? The computer they have now was probably great at some point.
Ericson666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #160
DoubleGale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson666 View Post
Here's the thing though: If you get a ty computer that can run TF2 now, what'll happen if we get a few more years of updates? Exact same spot.

Why not just save up and get a good computer? The computer they have now was probably great at some point.
Exactly. I'm saving up for a good computer. Buying a peice of that will get me mid-tier graphics with minimal lag for 2 years is just not a good idea.
DoubleGale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #161
nanosheep

All you kneejerk "HERPDADURP BUY NEW COMPOTOR LOL" people don't realise that Team Fortress 2 has an official running resolution option of 800 x 600. If that option exists then there's no reason any gameplay mechanic or function should be more inconvenient there than if any other resolution was used.
nanosheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #162
C2Talon

When the game first released, I played TF2 with all settings (sans shadows) at maximum at 1600x1200 resolution, and got well over 60fps. Now, on the same computer, though with much more RAM and better video card, I can barely get 20fps at 1024x768 and all settings at minimum. I am pretty close to going to 800x600 myself.

My computer is 9 years old. Yes, I should get a new computer. However, I have no need to get a new computer. My computer still works for everything I use it for. That, and TF2 allows one to select resolutions as low as 640x480. If I eventually have to turn it down that low, I probably will rather than buying a new computer.

There is also a segment of people many seem to be forgetting: those who actually need run things as those resolutions because of bad vision or what-have-you. It does not matter how new or shiny or overkill a computer's specs are if you need to run at lower resolutions to keep your nose off the screen while using it.

Last edited by C2Talon: 02-16-2012 at 05:12 PM.
C2Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #163
wetnap

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanosheep View Post
All you kneejerk "HERPDADURP BUY NEW COMPOTOR LOL" people don't realise that Team Fortress 2 has an official running resolution option of 800 x 600. If that option exists then there's no reason any gameplay mechanic or function should be more inconvenient there than if any other resolution was used.
like the minimum requirements of a game, such support is bare minimum, not suggested at all, meaning it works but you wouldn't want to..

no different with this window not fitting such a ridiculously low resolution, you get to scroll around the same way people who play at 15fps suffer and get by.
wetnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #164
wetnap

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2Talon View Post
When the game first released, I played TF2 with all settings (sans shadows) at maximum at 1600x1200 resolution, and got well over 60fps. Now, on the same computer, though with much more RAM and better video card, I can barely get 20fps at 1024x768 and all settings at minimum. I am pretty close to going to 800x600 myself.

My computer is 9 years old. Yes, I should get a new computer. However, I have no need to get a new computer. TF2 allows one to select resolutions as low as 640x480, and if I eventually have to turn it down that low, I probably will rather than buying a new computer.

There is also a segment of people many seem to be forgetting: those who actually need run things as those resolutions because of bad vision or what-have-you. It does not matter how new or shiny or overkill a computer's specs are if you need to run at lower resolutions to keep your nose off the screen while using it.
Doesn't ring true, I first ran it on a p4d and it wasn't great even then. How a 9 year old computer ran at 1600x at its release I don't know. 1600x1200 was pretty high end resolution at the time. Force lowering of dxlevel? Now it runs smooth even on 3 year old budget hardware from my experience...so its not a big deal. A 9 year old computer would use something like a single core pentium 4 which is so slow by modern standards yes, it would crawl in such a game, especially when modern games..even tf2 run best with atleast 2 cores.

For reference a pentium 4 dual core can barely run portal...yes its that slow. Not much faster than an atom netbook processor.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #165
wetnap

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleGale View Post
Exactly. I'm saving up for a good computer. Buying a peice of that will get me mid-tier graphics with minimal lag for 2 years is just not a good idea.
I don't think you understand how far ahead hardware is now, even a low end i3 processor runs circles around your old hardware in a way that is embarrassing, running tf2 on budget hardware now is a piece of cake. Maybe the ghz ratings are giving you a false impression, an i3 is many times faster than a p4 at the same clockspeed.

As I said before, a budget processor x4 athlon from 3 years ago can run the game in a borderless window while doing other things like 1080p video at the same time, showing just how minimal the requirements are for this game. A new processor simply shrugs this off completely, now or two years in the future. If that doesn't give you perspective I don't know what will. Folks are acting like this game and valve demand some ridiculously high end machine. Sorry, you are just trying to force 5+ year old super low end hardware to play games, and have hacked it into barely working which is fine, but you cannot expect anyone to support such extremes.

Last edited by wetnap: 02-16-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2