Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 02-15-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Fragamacrunch

Are you alone on the island?

When I was playing through, just past the Bothy, where there's a cave in the cliff opposite the path you're headed down, I saw a torch. At first I just thought it was in the wall of the cave, but walking down the path, I saw it move to the left, being carried by a silhouette out of sight. I played through that chapter again, and saw it again, but couldn't make out what the silhouette was.

I played through a third time, to show my gf, who's an English major who I thought might appreciate the game, but on that third playthrough the torch and whatever was carrying it wasn't there. However, in the last chapter, walking up the beach towards the cliffside path, just to the left of the candle on the cliff, we both thought we saw a silhouette, too far away to make out clearly. I checked out that area when I was up on the cliff and we're pretty sure we didn't mistake a random fence post for something.

I haven't seen anyone else talk about this, so forgive me if it's already been discussed. Have you guys seen this? Or am I crazy, seeing things?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Seanieboy87

After finishing the game, I actually went on TV Tropes to see what they had to say about the game, and there is indeed an entry on shadows lurking in the background. So you're not mad! But I didn't see anything myself.
Seanieboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Jack Pipsam

I swear I saw a silhouette on a cliff as well.

Gotta love this game.
Jack Pipsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Hangar34

Thumbs up

The short answer is no.

I had exactly the same experience as the OP. I saw the torch being carried by someone in the hillside cave, or thought I did. When I tried to replay it, I never saw the figure again. It quite creeped me out.

But then later, above the beach on the cliff that leads up to the aerial, a lone figure was standing that did not disappear until I got quite close. I have a screenshot as it was a very haunting moment: Lone Figure on Clifftop

A nice touch that adds an un-nerving aspect to the game.
Hangar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
Irongiant666

I've also seen that figure near the end. There have been other sightings too - another screenshot of the figure in another part of the 'game' can be seen here:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/46...37C1E4014E60B/

look left ........

Lovely 'game', really enjoyed it, plus there's so much to think about and discuss.
Irongiant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
nightseifer

There are multiple times I have seen silhouettes of people. This really is a game that requires multiple play throughs to get its true eeriness. The first is at the beginning. When looking up the lighthouse, a head retracts backwoods. When you first see the beached ships, follow the path to the right but whatch the path to the left. A silhouette will walk the path and wait at the end, as you approach, it fades. And the one that I noticed seemed to always be there was in the last level. Along the path u take up the hill after finding the paper boats. U can only see him from down below, but there is a figure that is standing next to the candles. it is fairly obvious. The last one I have seen is standing inside the gate at the beacon. I could see a light coming of its eyes. It seems to be staring directly at the moon. All of them disappear as u approach them. This is only of 3 run throughs, so there is probably more.
nightseifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
Fragamacrunch

Thanks for letting me know, and for the screenshots! It's appreciated =]
Fragamacrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
DazJW

In the game files there are two textures that could be the figure.

One is:
Spoiler:
ghost_female_001 - which has a normal female face and resembles how the figure looked in the mod version (which glitched on my first playthrough so I could walk right up to the figure).

While the other is:
Spoiler:
corpse_001 - which has a creepy decomposed face and what looks like maggots on its chest but has similar black clothes.

Edit:
I've just been noclipping around looking at things and got up close to a figure that was neither of the textures I mentioned. So maybe it looks different each time or maybe the textures I saw were unused.

Last edited by DazJW: 02-16-2012 at 10:51 AM.
DazJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Marked One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongiant666 View Post
I've also seen that figure near the end. There have been other sightings too - another screenshot of the figure in another part of the 'game' can be seen here:

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/46...37C1E4014E60B/

look left ........

Lovely 'game', really enjoyed it, plus there's so much to think about and discuss.
This was the first one I saw.
Creeped me out!
Marked One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
jdd91

these figures are YOU from past play through's
Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Irongiant666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd91 View Post
Not all of them are (if any) - the one near the very end of the game certainly isn't, as I first enountered that figure on my very first walkthrough. And I know from reading other forums and watching YouTube vids that others have encountered one of the other figures (by the wrecked boats) on their first walkthough.

Spoiler:
Apparently there are some other figures too, larger ones ....... (I've seen a screenshot and read about them (there's mention of them a few messages above this one), but I won't spoil it for anyone).

I'm on my second walkthrough now and, knowing that there are other figures, I find the game even creepier now. I tell you, if I'm in a dark claustrophobic area of the island and one of them appears in front of me, I'll have a damn heart attack .......

Last edited by Irongiant666: 02-16-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Irongiant666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #12
DazJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd91 View Post
It appears in some places you can't get to so that doesn't make sense, though it's hinted that you've been through the island before in some of the narration.
DazJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Hangar34

I think the figures are there for one (or all) of the following reasons:

Spoiler:
1. The figures are you, at various points along the journey that you have made before, but never completed. We know that the narrator was in hospital at least once before with a kidney stone problem.

2. They are shades of others who have made the same journey... Esther, Donnelly, Jacobson.

3. They are simply there to creep you out and turn the game into more a ghost story.

Hangar34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #14
jorre22225

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragamacrunch View Post
When I was playing through, just past the Bothy, where there's a cave in the cliff opposite the path you're headed down, I saw a torch. At first I just thought it was in the wall of the cave, but walking down the path, I saw it move to the left, being carried by a silhouette out of sight. I played through that chapter again, and saw it again, but couldn't make out what the silhouette was.

I played through a third time, to show my gf, who's an English major who I thought might appreciate the game, but on that third playthrough the torch and whatever was carrying it wasn't there. However, in the last chapter, walking up the beach towards the cliffside path, just to the left of the candle on the cliff, we both thought we saw a silhouette, too far away to make out clearly. I checked out that area when I was up on the cliff and we're pretty sure we didn't mistake a random fence post for something.

I haven't seen anyone else talk about this, so forgive me if it's already been discussed. Have you guys seen this? Or am I crazy, seeing things?
In the original mod, you are not alone also. You can see Esther (which is actually a ghost) walk for about 3 or 4 times but each time you approach she runs away and then dissapears. If I were to explain, Robert Briscoe wanted to re-enter her appearance as a ghost just like in the original mod. I only saw that woman (in the orginal) after the second playthrough.

Principally, even knowing this, you are still alone, because that silhoute is simply a shadow, non-existing as much as you are... So you are still alone, and when you die there is nobody so it all ends up with the island being deserted

Even if you haven't played the original mod, you should. It's very interesting to see the similar things, and also the new things
jorre22225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
HeroOfHappyland

As well as seeing OP's, I also saw a ghostly figure standing by the door on the house on the hill. It was the one that creeped me out the most for some reason. probably because once you get close enough the ghost moves very quickly into the house. needless to say, I was hesitant to enter after seeing that.

Here's a screen shot: http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/48...1B8A173C2EF8E/

It's not the best picture, but if you look close enough you can see it standing by the door. Creepy stuff

Last edited by HeroOfHappyland: 02-16-2012 at 01:45 PM.
HeroOfHappyland is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther