Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka

Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
halororor

DLC not on sale?

jarate poor way of spitting in your early adopters' faces, if you ask me. I bought the game at release, now if I want the DLC I have to pay full price, but the other people buying it a year after release can just buy the Collection for a few measly dollars.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
gradiuz1

Exclamation

Dear god, the DLCs were on sale on the winter sales which even included the recent DLC "Stars are Left". How did you miss that?
gradiuz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
graspee

People who buy games at launch always get shafted, price-wise. They allow themselves to be shafted because they want to play the games when everyone else is playing and discussing them, rather than be like a guy coming on the forums and saying "Wow, that half life, eh, what a great game" and making jokes about crowbars.
graspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
halororor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradiuz1 View Post
Dear god, the DLCs were on sale on the winter sales which even included the recent DLC "Stars are Left". How did you miss that?
I didn't have access to a credit card over December. That's how I missed a sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graspee View Post
People who buy games at launch always get shafted, price-wise. They allow themselves to be shafted because they want to play the games when everyone else is playing and discussing them, rather than be like a guy coming on the forums and saying "Wow, that half life, eh, what a great game" and making jokes about crowbars.
I don't mind paying more to have a game earlier, but putting the full collection up on sale to maximize sales, and then shafting the people who already own the game? Not cool.
halororor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
raupi

You can always buy the Magicka Collection and get all DLC you're missing.
raupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
halororor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raupi View Post
You can always buy the Magicka Collection and get all DLC you're missing.
Yes, I just saw that. Pity the ones I already own would go to waste. Would have been nice to be able to give them to friends.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
TheDarkChaplain

Wait, you bought the game over a year ago, and missed MULTIPLE Sales on the whole Magicka franchise, Paradox Weeks, the Summer & Winter Sales AND a free Weekend?

At this point, you can't really call yourself an early adopter getting shafted as you've obviously did not adopt the DLCs early nor did you keep your eyes open for the past year's opportunities.

Heck, just buy the god-damn Complete Pack, that's the cheapest way to get all the DLC anyway. Buying them on their own, even with the discount, would cost more than what the complete kit costs.
TheDarkChaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
halororor

You are aware that I'm only missing three DLCs, right? Vietnam, Lonely Island and Final Frontier? I hardly see not owning three DLCs as 'did not keep my eyes open for the past year's opportunities.'

If the DLC was on sale, it would only have cost me $2.50 for the ones I'm missing. Now I have to pay double that.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
TheDarkChaplain

How would I be aware of that, dear halororor?

"I bought the game at release"
"I didn't have a credit card over December"
"I don't mind paying more to have a game earlier"
"and then shafting the people who already own the game? Not cool."

Where did you mention how many DLCs you do already own or that you are missing some, rather than all?
All you've complained about were owning the game since release and a year later getting shafted because the individual DLCs aren't on sale.

Vietnam has been on Sale probably half a dozen times, down to prices that were just laughable. Final Frontier less often since it came later, but the prices were still laughable.
Yes, you've missed the same 75-80% discounts we've been seeing for at least the past 8 months.

Lonely Island Cruise was FREE for completing summer sale achievements over half a year ago and only now gets a release as individual DLC for people to buy. You call that shafting early adopters? People with the DLC were special, and even needed for an Achievement, and they've been special like that for half a year.

And no, if the DLCs WERE on sale, you would STILL have to pay $1.99 for the Lonely Island Cruise. Its a new release, and they never end up on Sale with the other items. They get included into the Complete Packs after the sale in most cases.

You're not getting shafted, you get to either have patience or pay what anybody else does.
TheDarkChaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
raupi

There's nothing else you can do about it. At least it's cheaper then buying the DLCs for full price, so you're better of than any other day. It's up to you to not buy the complete pack as a protest against the pricing policy, but that won't change anything.
raupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
halororor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkChaplain View Post
How would I be aware of that, dear halororor?
Then why make an assumption if you don't have any details on how many I own?

Either way, the point is that there is absolutely no reason for the individual DLCs to NOT be on sale. It doesn't matter that it was on sale numerous times in the past. That only reinforces my question. Why if it was always on sale in the past isn't it now?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #12
Ankle_biter

Because it strongly encourages people just to buy the complete pack even if they already own the game and some DLC. Which is more money than a person would pay if they bought the individual DLC if it were on sale.

It's win for the developer because they get more money. It's kind of a shady way of doing things if you ask me, but whatever. It doesn't effect me. I always wait until the DLC are individually on sale and pick from the things I want and/or feel are worth the price.

I don't mind waiting. I'm not trying to get into the 'in' crowd and be part of the internet jokes and all that other nonsense. I'd rather save a few bucks and still enjoy a game at the same time.
Ankle_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
halororor

What's with all the hate against early adopters? I don't know any person who buys games because he/she wants to be 'hip' and 'cool'. :/

In the case of Magicka, I bought it because if I waited for a special everyone would probably have been tired of it already, meaning the multiplayer community would probably be mostly dead by then, resulting in me having to join games halfway across the globe just to be able to play it coop.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
Ankle_biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by halororor View Post
In the case of Magicka, I bought it because if I waited for a special everyone would probably have been tired of it already, meaning the multiplayer community would probably be mostly dead by then, resulting in me having to join games halfway across the globe just to be able to play it coop.
If that were the case, the game would not be worth playing in the first place.

If a game is good, it's online play is going to survive for a long while.
Ankle_biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #15
halororor

Have you considered that not every country is america or europe? We here in South Africa don't have nearly as much people gamers as any other first world country. Besides that, there is only so many times you can play through the same campaign.

If a game is good, it's worth paying full price for as well. I don't see why it's so bad that people buy games at release. It baffles me that people see an issue with that.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Magicka