Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
hawk318

Magic, is it just me?

Ok I've played 3 chars now to where we fight the 1st dragon....

Ok so not so much magic..... I thought it a bit strange, for pouring every skill/ perk into destructive magic, there seemed a lack of any actual power. Remember I concentraited only along 1 magic line.....

SO I pulled out the old cheats and cranked up all spells and maxed the destructive line only......
While I can send man sized NPC's flying not all die on the 1st blast. Some actually take a lot of hits with the most powerful spells in the game......

Of course I padded the stamina, health and Magicka so I lose little on concentraited spells...... Pitiful IMHO.

I guess it would get a bit better with levels, but if my calcs are correct the inrease would be minimal......

Oh well had fun with my 2 handed Orc and went back to him..... Magic seems far too weak (tho I'll probably try to do more at a later date......
Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
-Veritas

Yes, Magic isn't balanced well. Especially destruction, it's very weak damage wise. I suggest this mod:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2275
It makes the magic seem very balanced, comparable in damage to similarly perked weapon trees.
-Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Jodah

There are mods to balance it but the destruction damage is rather low compared to melee or bows. The reasoning is that pure mages have more options. Going straight destruction as a mage can be tricky prior to impact but through correct use of the other spell types, particularly illusion and conjuration, much fun can be had.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Zebideedee

Banned
I think the dragons have high elemental resistance, would be good if there was resistance ignoring spells you could get like in guild wars with the curse magic, spells like that would be excellent! Like each time an enemy attacked it took shadow damage or something (spiteful spirit ftw). Or even mesmer type spells that interupted casters. Maybe I'm looking forward to GW2 too much

Last edited by Zebideedee: 02-16-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Zebideedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
man unit

Using magic effectively requires putting a few points in alchemy. Do that and you can make Fortify <insert whichever type> potion. Even if you never get alchemy past 50 you can still make some decent potions that will give you all the power you need.
man unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #6
Jodah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebideedee View Post
I think the dragons have high elemental resistance, would be good if there was resistance ignoring spells you could get like in guild wars with the curse magic, spells like that would be excellent! Like each time an enemy attacked it took shadow damage or something (spiteful spirit ftw). Or even mesmer type spells that interupted casters. Maybe I'm looking forward to GW2 too much
They tend to have high resistance for the "type" they are. Depending on what they attack with certain spells will do more. For example, if a dragon uses fire breath then fire attacks will do less damage. Use ice on them. If they use ice breath use fire spells on them.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #7
Zebideedee

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
They tend to have high resistance for the "type" they are. Depending on what they attack with certain spells will do more. For example, if a dragon uses fire breath then fire attacks will do less damage. Use ice on them. If they use ice breath use fire spells on them.
Yeah I know, but still have some sort of resistance, would be nice to get some good magic when you max destruction that disregards earth/air/fire/water

or even have some air and earth spells

Eg. When a dragon lands beside you, you cast a spell that shakes the ground like they shake your screen, making it difficult for them to take off!

Last edited by Zebideedee: 02-16-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Fishbaitism

Having played casters in most game, I went Destruction & concur, it`s like throwing wet tissues at the enemy
Fishbaitism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
Mokkat

playing a stealthy guy with illusion and fire-specific destruction in one hand, and a weapon in the other, I'd say that magic functions as a speedy and versatile form of ranged attack.

I haven't tried a full on mage yet, but I'd imagine the way to go is to get the dual casting perks. You can get that (280% mana -> 200%) mod if it eats up too much power.

edit: also, "magic" being underpowered, is not really that black and white an argument. A big bad two-hander warrior might put more raw hurt on the enemies, but he isn't gonna do that from a good distance with the enemies fighting each other or paralysed on the ground

Last edited by Mokkat: 02-16-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Mokkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #10
Zebideedee

Banned
I think if you enchant your armour to 100% reduction on cost it's not so bad but the scaling is very much in favour of the enemies!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
Suspicious

A mage should treat alchemy like a warrior or archer treats smithing -- critical for scaling.
Suspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #12
Staind716

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Veritas View Post
Yes, Magic isn't balanced well. Especially destruction, it's very weak damage wise. I suggest this mod:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=2275
It makes the magic seem very balanced, comparable in damage to similarly perked weapon trees.
This. If you want your magic especially destruction to be worth actually using this is the perfect mod for it. I play a mage now and it makes it much more enjoyable and the scaling is so much better.
Staind716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #13
Suspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokkat View Post
playing a stealthy guy with illusion and fire-specific destruction in one hand, and a weapon in the other, I'd say that magic functions as a speedy and versatile form of ranged attack.

I haven't tried a full on mage yet, but I'd imagine the way to go is to get the dual casting perks. You can get that (280% mana -> 200%) mod if it eats up too much power.
For Destruction and Illusion. But you really, really want to invest in alchemy -- for instance, you can make a potion that'll boost magic regeneration by 121% for five minutes, increase the strength of illusion spells by 97% for a minute, give you 73% fire resistance for a minute, and restore 151 points of magic to boot. You can also make potions that'll give you ~+100% to Fortify Destruction, giving you some badly needed damage boosts.

You can also make poisons of weakness to magic, but you'll probably want to be a half-decent archer for delivering those poisons, and if you're an archer/alchemist you might as well go all the way to a master crafter/archer, building a bow and enchanting Fortify Archery gear until you're doing several hundred points of damage per arrow even before poisoning it or drinking a Fortify Marksman potion. It'll be much stealthier, get 3x damage from sneak attacks, barely cost stamina (for zooming only), do far more damage per attack, and not require near as many significant expendables (arrows are common, the damage is mostly from absurd levels of smithing in the bow itself multiplied by Fortify Archery ench/skill/perls, and you mostly need potions when making the gear, not using it).

Quote:
edit: also, "magic" being underpowered, is not really that black and white an argument. A big bad two-hander warrior might put more raw hurt on the enemies, but he isn't gonna do that from a good distance with the enemies fighting each other or paralysed on the ground
Don't need to paralyze enemies when you instakill them, or make them fight each other when you can easily tank their attacks. Not satisfied with killing giants and bottom-tier dragons with single non-stealthy one-handed attacks, and one-hitting ancient dragons when you're sneaky? Then drink a potion which boosts your damage by 127% for a minute and boosts your health by 127 hp for five minutes at the sole cost of no magicka regeneration for 127 seconds. Combine this with the Shadowcloak of Nocturnal or Shadow Warrior powers for gratuitous pwnage.

And if you DO want them paralyzed rather than instakilled, it's simpler to put a paralysis enchant on a weapon. You can make poisons that'll paralyze for 32 seconds and do 32hp/s for 10s as well if you'd want a longer duration for some reason. Or you can pair that same 32hp/s x 10s with an instant 162 hp damage instead of paralysis. *shrug*
Suspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
hawk318

Yup, you all pretty much said what I feared....

Problem with being a magic user.... If a straight mage your only real attack is (in this game) destruction, with a touch of defensive thrown in.

That being said, its great that there is alchemy and other skills to supliment it..... but sadly just not enough leveling perks to make it practical.

Destructive magic is so weak, if you take time putting perks into anything else.... you can no longer play a straight mage using magic as your only attacking ability.
IMHO I think the devs should have lessened the many magic skills and concentraited them into just offensive and defensive.
hawk318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V