Old 02-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
ashfoxx

Game lags during offline races

First of all, my specs;

CPU: Intel Core2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53 GHz
RAM: 6GB
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
ASUS laptop

Ok, so this is whats happening. I was able to play with almost no issues (none that made the game unplayable) at full settings for the first few races, then when I started Stock Cars, the race starts, I hit a giant lag spike, and when the game continues, suddenly the frames pick up like its trying to catch up so I end up slamming into a wall. Pausing does nothing until the game continues, and it's rendered the game unplayable.

Menus run pretty well with little to no lag, and i even tried running the game on the lowest settings possible, with the exact same results. I am able to run everything I throw at this laptop at full settings (Left 4 Dead 2, Dungeon Defenders, Flatout Ultimate Carnage, mass Effect 2, etc etc.) without any flaws, and I also ran a cracked copy of this game at one point that never gave me any issues.

However, I buy a legit copy from steam, and now i wish I had kept the other one. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? My video drivers are up to date, and as i said, this game worked before i bought it on steam. Does the steam version perhaps not download the patches?

TL;DR: - My game lags offline, wtf?

Thanks; ~ashfoxx
Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
CDN_Merlin

What else have you installed since you deleted the pirated version and bought the legit version? Maybe something is messing it up.
CDN_Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
ashfoxx

I have not installed anything different, almost all of my Installed games are from steam. I did reinstall the game as well and I noticed the bad lag spikes only seem to occur during the first stock car race. It lags from time to time in other races, but it's only the first stock car race that lags to the point of near impossibility.
ashfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
CDN_Merlin

Might be some left over files from the non legit version that is messing the game up?
CDN_Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
ashfoxx

I deleted all the files from my old copy manually before I ran this one. I am thinking it may just be an overheating issue but it's still only really bad on the first track. It runs better (I can finish the race with some difficulty) but since I started taking the cooling pad with me everywhere my stuttering issues have nearly disappeared.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
seseorang

Sounds like a typical thing. For me this happens in Dirt as well.

Random slow downs, but picks up quickly, like time slowing down. That ruins the gameplay

People have suggested trying to disable power saving features to allow the processor to run at a constant frequency disabling C1E in the BIOS.
seseorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
ashfoxx

I'll have to look that up. I know a bit about computers but me experience with BIOS usually ends in tears, lol!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > GRID