Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
solidturtleman
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 28
Posts: 255
So will HL3 invent a new storytelling device?

I will give examples of what I think have been major leaps in video game storytelling (The following games did not necessarily invent these leaps, but are what I think of as being the best AND earliest representations of them):

Audio Logs- System Shock 2

Scanning- Metroid Prime

Cutscene-less/true player immersion- Half Life

Exploring the minds of others- Psychonauts (Buy this on Steam now)

Half Life 2- stuff

Some RPG with a choice and consequence system...

I'm really tired, so forgive me for not elaborating or mentioning your favorite game. Do you think HL will be able to expand on what it's predecessors did in a new way? Will it be equivalent to any of the above's effects on modern gaming?
solidturtleman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Sleepykins
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 1199
Posts: 2,617
I feel as though part of the silence is because Valve doesn't want to even talk about another Half-Life unless it is capable of pushing things like the previous two did.

This "generation" of FPS games have been disappointing to me as far as story telling goes, and in my opinion the doors are open for Valve to come out of nowhere with a real big innovative hitter.

I think Valve has a lot of things going for it already, if they can push the current dynamics in new ways I think that would really assist in things, but I don't want Valve to suddenly change things.

What I mean is if things were to suddenly go the Bioware route and have morality dialogue type deals, I would be heavily disappointed (Not that it can really happen with Gordon's silence), but adding a feature that flows more than it feeling like an arbitrary "Oh look what you can do in this game" feature is very important.

Pushing the character interaction, pushing the emotion and the immersion of the game I feel is all HL needs to succeed, with enough of an AI push and interesting gameplay mechanics (Weapons enemies etc) and storytelling I think it would be a resounding success, it simply needs to follow in the footsteps of HL2, where you take what works, and throw in a ton of innovatively fresh ideas, or at least push the boundaries of, what currently exists.
Sleepykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
Lewk
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Reputation: 384
Posts: 1,090
It's really difficult to come up with a new original concept, but pushing into exsisting areas that have not really been explored is something I think Valve fans always erxpect from Valve. We've already seen Valve mention the possibility of deaf characters in a future game, which to mean is certainly a fresh perspective into story-telling and only solidifies any notion that the next Half-Life title will contain fresh and new story-telling ideas, for sure.
Lewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #4
solidturtleman
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 28
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepykins View Post
What I mean is if things were to suddenly go the Bioware route and have morality dialogue type deals, I would be heavily disappointed (Not that it can really happen with Gordon's silence), but adding a feature that flows more than it feeling like an arbitrary "Oh look what you can do in this game" feature is very important.
I cannot stand the Bioware route. I really hope for a system that allows every little action to be interpreted by the AI. Wouuldn't it be great to have AI react to your every moment like having your gun pointed at them, or spending too long sitting around, or shooting a civilian.

It seems like Valve really has been moving towards this in Portal 2 and Episode 2 and I'd love to see it perfected.
solidturtleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
Bioluminescent
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 433
Posts: 1,108
To have sign language in a videogame suggests realistic bodily animations...
Bioluminescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #6
Haaselh0ff
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 991
Posts: 3,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bioluminescent View Post
To have sign language in a videogame suggests realistic bodily animations...
And from the interview on the sign language, it looks like there are a lot of distinct ways of knowing... trying to think of a way to say this, I guess feelings?
Haaselh0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Octaver
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 5
Posts: 26
I think that's probably exactly what the delay is about. They want it to be a big step forward for the genre and they're taking their time to make sure it has the impact it should have. Now I have no idea what they've got up their sleeve, but my guess is they have something.
Octaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
lostinseganet
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reputation: 7
Posts: 327
Question The new one is for the deaf

The next one is suppose to be geared toward deaf people.
lostinseganet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Sleepykins
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 1199
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidturtleman View Post
I cannot stand the Bioware route. I really hope for a system that allows every little action to be interpreted by the AI. Wouuldn't it be great to have AI react to your every moment like having your gun pointed at them, or spending too long sitting around, or shooting a civilian.

It seems like Valve really has been moving towards this in Portal 2 and Episode 2 and I'd love to see it perfected.
Yeah that is definitely the route Valve wants to go, advancing things through the AI so that the characters just feel and act more and more real.

Imagine Alyx maybe putting up her hood if weather got rough, or acting concerned if you were getting hurt, maybe even getting a bit scared herself at times. This works the same way for enemies too, it would allow them to react to how the player is fighting them in a more intelligent way, maybe even incorporating a sense of emotion to how they would pursue things. (Assuming of course they were capable of emotions, not robots or something).

An "Interactive Emotion Engine" If you will, keep in mind this kind of thing also plays with those advanced gameplay peripheral ideas they were playing with for heart rates and eye tracking, maybe the friendly AI like Alyx or Barney notices you glance at them, or notices you look to the side and maybe see an enemy run by and acts accordingly, could respond to your level of calmness or energy, it is all really interesting.

There is tons of potential with pushing what AI can do as far as making an interesting story goes, and that is the kind of things I hope Valve would pursue over any other "improved" storytelling methods.

Last edited by Sleepykins: 02-17-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Sleepykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #10
solidturtleman
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Reputation: 28
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepykins View Post
Yeah that is definitely the route Valve wants to go, advancing things through the AI so that the characters just feel and act more and more real.

Imagine Alyx maybe putting up her hood if weather got rough, or acting concerned if you were getting hurt, maybe even getting a bit scared herself at times. This works the same way for enemies too, it would allow them to react to how the player is fighting them in a more intelligent way, maybe even incorporating a sense of emotion to how they would pursue things. (Assuming of course they were capable of emotions, not robots or something).

An "Interactive Emotion Engine" If you will, keep in mind this kind of thing also plays with those advanced gameplay peripheral ideas they were playing with for heart rates and eye tracking, maybe the friendly AI like Alyx or Barney notices you glance at them, or notices you look to the side and maybe see an enemy run by and acts accordingly, could respond to your level of calmness or energy, it is all really interesting.

There is tons of potential with pushing what AI can do as far as making an interesting story goes, and that is the kind of things I hope Valve would pursue over any other "improved" storytelling methods.
Well, if Valve doesn't pursue this we'll get something like it from Dishonored (hopefully).
solidturtleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
2560x1600@120hz
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 3610
Posts: 7,785
A SPUF nominated Narrarator.
2560x1600@120hz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #12
DirectVic
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Reputation: 2213
Posts: 5,018
I don't think we'll see any leaps of that sort. We'll probably see some terrific storytelling, perhaps even some Dear Esther-type stuff, but any completely new narrative devices - I'm not so sure.
DirectVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #13
CrowbarSka
 
Join Date: May 2007
Reputation: 457
Posts: 1,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepykins View Post
Yeah that is definitely the route Valve wants to go, advancing things through the AI so that the characters just feel and act more and more real.

Imagine Alyx maybe putting up her hood if weather got rough, or acting concerned if you were getting hurt, maybe even getting a bit scared herself at times. This works the same way for enemies too, it would allow them to react to how the player is fighting them in a more intelligent way, maybe even incorporating a sense of emotion to how they would pursue things. (Assuming of course they were capable of emotions, not robots or something).

An "Interactive Emotion Engine" If you will, keep in mind this kind of thing also plays with those advanced gameplay peripheral ideas they were playing with for heart rates and eye tracking, maybe the friendly AI like Alyx or Barney notices you glance at them, or notices you look to the side and maybe see an enemy run by and acts accordingly, could respond to your level of calmness or energy, it is all really interesting.

There is tons of potential with pushing what AI can do as far as making an interesting story goes, and that is the kind of things I hope Valve would pursue over any other "improved" storytelling methods.
I'd love to see more of this kind of thing. This is along the same lines as '2 Bots, 1 Wrench', which was created as part of Valve's big experimental phase mentioned in The Final Hours of Portal 2. Videos here:
http://youtu.be/AUEVA1BZfuE
http://youtu.be/cD9g8Fu9vt4
The idea was that two AI companions would comment on things in the world and this would all be semi-random, not some tightly scripted sequence.

You do see similar things with Alyx in the episodes, but not to such a large degree.
CrowbarSka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:46 AM   #14
Haaselh0ff
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 991
Posts: 3,494
If Valve is(which they probably are) working on AI improvments like the said above than Half-Life(EP)3 will really raise the bar! I mean I know some people don't think about it much, but really how cool would it be for the AI to actually respond to you if you're looking somewhere or are low on health, ect. (Sleepykins' post is basicly everything I would like in the next HL)
Haaselh0ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
Sleepykins
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 1199
Posts: 2,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaselh0ff View Post
If Valve is(which they probably are) working on AI improvments like the said above than Half-Life(EP)3 will really raise the bar! I mean I know some people don't think about it much, but really how cool would it be for the AI to actually respond to you if you're looking somewhere or are low on health, ect. (Sleepykins' post is basicly everything I would like in the next HL)
Glad you agree!
When it comes to Half-Life 3 I try to view it as "what would Valve do?" AI is definitely one of the main technologies they've discussed time and again, and have shown hints of this kind of thing with their games as we've gone on. Started with episode two, saw some interesting things with L4D2, two bots was pushing it even more.

I think, (and hope) that everything that has come out, and will come out before HL3 probably contains a tech for a basic idea of something they want in the next Half-Life game.
Sleepykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life 2: Episode Two


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.