Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Orchestra series > Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
RedTop89

Bad performance/ Any known fix?

Hi all just got the game and on Ultra i get between 12fps to 40fps, my rig is:
Phenom II 955BE Stock
4GB RAM
Sapphire HD5850Xtreme

I just want to know if there is any possible fix or config file that will give me better frame rate. In game my GPU only uses around 50% and i really don't know why its not using all its power. My rig handles BF3 in 1080p on high with 60fps on multiplayer so my rig should handle this game in all its glory. Any help of what to turn off in the settings etc would be a help, thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Teemuslayer

Answer is simple: DROP YOUR SETTINGS, DO NOT USE ULTRA ON ANYTHING.

BF and CoD games are both console-ports, games meant to run on ancient 2005 (console) hardware. My mother´s toaster could play them just fine.
RO2 is a REAL PC-exclusive, which utilizes everything it can and does require rather beefy PC, like PC exclusives USED TO do.

You my friend have rather low-end stuff in your machine, having AMD cards and all. It's a simple fact that most games work better on Nvidia nowadays.
Teemuslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
RedTop89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemuslayer View Post
Answer is simple: DROP YOUR SETTINGS, DO NOT USE ULTRA ON ANYTHING.

BF and CoD games are both console-ports, games meant to run on ancient 2005 (console) hardware. My mother´s toaster could play them just fine.
RO2 is a REAL PC-exclusive, which utilizes everything it can and does require rather beefy PC, like PC exclusives USED TO do.

You my friend have rather low-end stuff in your machine, having AMD cards and all. It's a simple fact that most games work better on Nvidia nowadays.
You sir are a TARD. I never once mentioned Cod, so why bring it into the conversation?.

BF3 is still hard to run with all the settings cranked up.

I can run Crysis MAX with 40+fps, And Red Orchestra is nowhere near the level of Crysis in terms of graphics, yet i get lower frames in RO2.

If my system is so low end then why can i max just about any game i own? and looking at steam stats most players still use the old 9600 Nvidia cards.

And whats with the ATI bashing? i have never had a problem with ATI and they don't disappoint in my games, and my card sure as hell isn't to blame for this bad performance as the game only uses 50% of it. which is telling me the game is an unoptimized piece of crap.
RedTop89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Yoshiro

Tripwire Interactive
To run the game on ultra takes a processor that can run 3 to 4 cores at 4 Ghz. The game is very CPU intensive, and the more you load on your cpu, the worse your performance will be.

We are working to make the game less cpu intensive, but Ultra will still remain for super fast processors. Set your settings to medium or high, and playing with the detail slider will change the average amount of draw calls in any given scene (which is what currently makes our game CPU intensive)
Yoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
bannoura

join the club

Intel core i7-2600 @3.40Ghz ( quad core)
Nvidea 580 GTx
16GB of ram

game still runs like crap on ultra and not very smooth on high......so much for a buffed up PC
bannoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
RedTop89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiro View Post
To run the game on ultra takes a processor that can run 3 to 4 cores at 4 Ghz. The game is very CPU intensive, and the more you load on your cpu, the worse your performance will be.

We are working to make the game less cpu intensive, but Ultra will still remain for super fast processors. Set your settings to medium or high, and playing with the detail slider will change the average amount of draw calls in any given scene (which is what currently makes our game CPU intensive)
Thank your for the comment, but can i ask why you have made the game so tough for a CPU? you state that it needs a quad at 4GHz to run smooth, why didn't you set it lower so a wider range of people could enjoy it more.

I am currently saving for an upgrade when the ivy bridge is released so i shouldn't see much a problem then would i?.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #7
Yoshiro

Tripwire Interactive
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTop89 View Post
Thank your for the comment, but can i ask why you have made the game so tough for a CPU? you state that it needs a quad at 4GHz to run smooth, why didn't you set it lower so a wider range of people could enjoy it more.

I am currently saving for an upgrade when the ivy bridge is released so i shouldn't see much a problem then would i?.
Our intention for Ultra was always so a top of the line (and not yet released hardware) would see the best return.

However once we went into beta we found that we were pushing lower end systems fairly hard as well outside of the Ultra setting. We have been working since the late stages of the beta to reverse that. As part of our upcoming content update we will have another large performance pass included.
Yoshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
RedTop89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshiro View Post
Our intention for Ultra was always so a top of the line (and not yet released hardware) would see the best return.

However once we went into beta we found that we were pushing lower end systems fairly hard as well outside of the Ultra setting. We have been working since the late stages of the beta to reverse that. As part of our upcoming content update we will have another large performance pass included.
Thanks for clearing that up, I have my system running on high witha config tweak i found on these forums and i get 40+ frames and always 60fps inside so now i am happy.

Would like to say its a good game you have made and is a great alternative for someone who is bored of other shooters such as BF3.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Destructor-2011

Yepe more CPU intenese but in difrerents CPUs.

I play in Ultra with a i5 750, i dont know why people with i7 cant.
Destructor-2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:15 AM   #10
Mkill73

No problem here,all ultra.
My specs are:

I7 950 3.02(stockrate)
Asus Ramage Extreme
KA2 580 gtx 1536 Mb
SSD OCZ Vertex2
WD RE4 500 gb 64 mb (steam on this disk)
Corsair DDR3 3*2 tripplechannel 6gb 1600 Hz Timings 8,8,8
No Overclock here only stockrate.

I have constant 62 fps in 1920*1200 16:10 24inch

So try faster disk or even better RAMDISK if you got alot of RAM.

4Ghz per core...lol not true at all,I uses only 30 % of my cpu.

But some servers do lag alot online but thats BAD-servers.

Last edited by Mkill73: 02-18-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Mkill73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Myzteria

I have:
i3-530 (oc'd to 4.2ghz)
HD 6950 (unlocked shaders + OC)
4GB RAM

All settings seem to have very little impact EXCEPT for these ones:
- MLAA ULTRA (cuts about 30fps from FXAA HIGH)
- Occlusion HIGH (cuts >30fps from Occlusion NORMAL)
- Shadow Quality ULTRA (cuts about 20-30 fps from Shadow Quality HIGH)

If anyone has a similar config to me (I think it's applicable to ALL configs however), lower those three settings.
Myzteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:37 AM   #12
tunguska47

this is only UE3 engine MOST machines should be able to play this

u guys at tripwire need to hire someone from epic games to teach u all how to use the engine before u all make another game with it

i am not trying to be mean or something i just dont want killling floor 2 to turn into this

Last edited by tunguska47: 02-27-2012 at 03:22 AM.
tunguska47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #13
DMasterST

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunguska47 View Post
this is only UE3 engine
The word 'only' is rather misleading for the highly customizable engine that is UE3...

Quote:
MOST machines should be able to play this
They do.
DMasterST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
stillmatic07

He's right. This UE3 modified engine needs optimizations across the board. This engine does not run on all machines, some not even above 10 fps. At the moment I only see good performance on the I7s. My heavily overclocked quad core dips down to 22 FPS and doesn't get any higher than 40 during combat.

I hope TWI comes through in the next patch.
stillmatic07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:10 AM   #15
DMasterST

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillmatic07 View Post
He's right. This UE3 modified engine needs optimizations across the board. This engine does not run on all machines, some not even above 10 fps. At the moment I only see good performance on the I7s. My heavily overclocked quad core dips down to 22 FPS and doesn't get any higher than 40 during combat.
My specs:

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 2.50 GHz
2GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Half the settings on Ultra (the models and textures), half on Low (the effects and shadows), no AA. FPS is good.

Often top the scoreboard and that sums it up
DMasterST is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Red Orchestra series > Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad